Bumble Bee Albacore = Cat Food

Since most of you have probably realized that, like it or not, canned tuna is a cheap and convenient protein source I though I would provide a little consumer review. I live in MA and have found that all the supermarket chains carry their own brand of albacore tuna. It is always a product of Thailand, costs about a buck, and generally is a can full of nice solid, white tuna meat. I have often been able to stick a fork into the “steak” and pull it out whole.

Nice.

Recently I have seen the name brands on sale 10 for $10 and thought: “What have I got to lose?”. Answer: $10. I bought 10 cans of Bumble Bee Chunk White Tuna and knew as soon as a goodly portion of the product squirted out with the water when I pushed the can lid down that I was in for a disapointment. There were no “Chunks”, it wasn’t “White”, and I’m not even quite sure about the “Tuna” claim. Seriously, I’ve seen more appetizing cat food. To make matters worse I read the label to find: CONTAINS: TUNA, SOY. …Bummer Hell…

Just FYI.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Since most of you have probably realized that, like it or not, canned tuna is a cheap and convenient protein source I though I would provide a little consumer review. I live in MA and have found that all the supermarket chains carry their own brand of albacore tuna. It is always a product of Thailand, costs about a buck, and generally is a can full of nice solid, white tuna meat. I have often been able to stick a fork into the “steak” and pull it out whole.

Nice.

Recently I have seen the name brands on sale 10 for $10 and thought: “What have I got to lose?”. Answer: $10. I bought 10 cans of Bumble Bee Chunk White Tuna and knew as soon as a goodly portion of the product squirted out with the water when I pushed the can lid down that I was in for a disapointment. There were no “Chunks”, it wasn’t “White”, and I’m not even quite sure about the “Tuna” claim. Seriously, I’ve seen more appetizing cat food. To make matters worse I read the label to find: CONTAINS: TUNA, SOY. …Bummer Hell…

Just FYI.

[/quote]

Boy that really shocks me. You spend a whole buck for a can of Tuna and you get crap.

What the heck is this world coming to when you get what you pay for?

That really sucks.

Stay with your old brand.
Read the label first.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
solid, white tuna meat.
[/quote]

versus

The name said it all.

Kruiser, the other guys can mock you, but I feel your pain. I’m grocery shopping tonight and I will be on the lookout for that Thai tuna, as I haven’t had tuna in too long.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Kruiser, the other guys can mock you, but I feel your pain. I’m grocery shopping tonight and I will be on the lookout for that Thai tuna, as I haven’t had tuna in too long.[/quote]

I think I’ve found the same base product at all but the Stop & Shops. The label is different for each place but I’m sure you’ll be able to find it.

Of course, I’m not crying too hard over a couple bucks. I can mix the rest in with something to use it up. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might prefer a quality product over crap at the same price.

Bikemike, I don’t remember what the label said on the good stuff. I was just describing it. If there is a tuna grading system you know about please share. I thought albacore was the best. I’d also be interested in what fellow T-nationers think of the new foil vacuum packed products. Looks very convenient.

As far as mocking?.. Meh, I have to respect a person before I can be insulted by them :^).

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Miserere wrote:
Kruiser, the other guys can mock you, but I feel your pain. I’m grocery shopping tonight and I will be on the lookout for that Thai tuna, as I haven’t had tuna in too long.

I think I’ve found the same base product at all but the Stop & Shops. The label is different for each place but I’m sure you’ll be able to find it.

Of course, I’m not crying too hard over a couple bucks. I can mix the rest in with something to use it up. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might prefer a quality product over crap at the same price.

Bikemike, I don’t remember what the label said on the good stuff. I was just describing it. If there is a tuna grading system you know about please share. I thought albacore was the best. I’d also be interested in what fellow T-nationers think of the new foil vacuum packed products. Looks very convenient.

As far as mocking?.. Meh, I have to respect a person before I can be insulted by them :^).

[/quote]

That’s the attitude!

Now show that much sense the next time you make your food purchases and you’ll be better off.

Well, as promised, I went hunting for…OK, so I went shopping for some canned tuna. I didn’t find any from Thailand; the supermarket brand (Market Basket) was the cheapest, at $1 a can, but it comes from Ecuador. The second cheapest (can’t remember the brand) was from the Philipines, I think.

I will update the fantastic and thrilling thread when I open the can and eat the tuna.

Stay tunned! (get it?)

No, no, no. I’m not mocking anybody. I used to purchase the cheap stuff. Very stinky. Then my mom suggested I spend a little extra and get the good stuff. And it was worth it. And I had no idea they added soy. So I pull out an old can I have at work, probably four years old, and right there on the label - flaked soy.

Regarding the foil packed stuff, I don’t care for it.

I’ve noticed the same thing with alot of different brands. Most of the contents read: Tuna,Soy.

I started buying the Trader Joe’s brand. Contents read: Tuna. The price is usually the same as the supermarket and I actually like the fact that they offer one with added salt and one without. I believe believe it is still a product of thailand though.

I like BumbleBee ‘Prime Filet’ Solid White Albacore. There’s no soy included and if I remember correctly, it has a little more protein than some of the other brands. It’s a little more expensive than other brands but I think it’s worth it

Well, I guess there’s more to canned tuna than meets the eye. I thought albacore was the best quality but they have “Prime Select” albacore. It’s actually pretty important to me since I eat 5-6 cans a week along with good sardines for a treat. I really like most of the Trader Joes products so I’ll have to try their fish the next time I visit.
FYI: There was a Tuna vs. Sardines thread a few months back:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=914949

Fish On!

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Well, as promised, I went hunting for…OK, so I went shopping for some canned tuna. I didn’t find any from Thailand; the supermarket brand (Market Basket) was the cheapest, at $1 a can, but it comes from Ecuador. The second cheapest (can’t remember the brand) was from the Philipines, I think.

I will update the fantastic and thrilling thread when I open the can and eat the tuna.

Stay tunned! (get it?)[/quote]

Turns out I got the brands mixed up. The cheapest was not the supermarket brand, but StarKist, at $1 a can. I ate it with a salad for dinner last night and was very impressed with the texture (big meaty chunks) and the flavour. I was also not expecting it to be so white; the cheap tuna I ate back in England was pinkish.

I’ll try the supermarket brand (confirmed, from the Philipines) some time this week, but it’s going to have to be very good in order for me to start buying it seeing how nice the StarKist tuna is.

I must be weird cause I actually prefer the cat food variety. The albacore is too “dry” for my liking. I’m also suprised how much more a can cost’s around the country than here. The name brands go for 75 cents and the store brand is 55 cents. on sale they are around 50.

I agree on the Starkist. It was on sale for a buck and I bought some for comparison. Great stuff, chunky and white. I’ll be stocking up.

[quote]stumpy wrote:
I must be weird cause I actually prefer the cat food variety. The albacore is too “dry” for my liking. I’m also suprised how much more a can cost’s around the country than here. The name brands go for 75 cents and the store brand is 55 cents. on sale they are around 50.[/quote]

Yeah, same goes for eggs. Over in NoCal they were insanely expensive, while here I get a dozen large white for $1. They’re probably even cheaper where you live, arent’ they?

[quote]stumpy wrote:
I must be weird cause I actually prefer the cat food variety. The albacore is too “dry” for my liking. I’m also suprised how much more a can cost’s around the country than here. The name brands go for 75 cents and the store brand is 55 cents. on sale they are around 50.[/quote]

lucky for you

i was looking for tuna at a few supermarkets the other day:

safeway: 99cents regular price
albertsons: $1.40 regular, $1.00 club price

still waiting for the day the safeway one goes on sale…