T Nation

Bullitproof Monk

Chow Yun-Fat’s upcoming flick’s teaser is up: www.apple.com/trailers/ mgm/bulletproof_monk/ (now for “safety” purposes, the space is at “/” and “mgm”).

I'm curious about this movie. I want to see Chow Yun-Fat do well in a H-town flick. It's time. Especially after his great, great Hong Kong flicks (which I absolutely love) and Crouching Tiger. But why oh why, did they get the dude from American Pie to be his co-star?

I’m personally not a big fan of Chow Yan Fat. In the majority of the HK films that I have watched that has him starred in it, he doesn’t seem to have much ‘personality/character’, in the roles that he plays. He seems to have the same, ‘serious-look’ expression. As for why that dude from ‘American-pie’ is co-starring in this movie, I think Hollywood (or the actor’s agents) are trying not to get the actors ‘type-casted’, and make them go for roles that would not normally be suited to them. Take Robin Williams, for example. The last 2 films he did required him to be very dark, unlike the comedy that he is well accustomed to. I think it’s refreshing that actors are given the opportunity to explore different roles.

When I saw the preview for this, I laughed out loud. Bullet-Proof Monk? Hollywood might as well make a movie called Kickass Pope or Machine-Gun Ghandi (I can just see the tagline for that one now- he once saved India through the method of peace… now he must save the world with his piece!) Sometimes Hollywood can make some awful movies.

I think Chow Yun-Fat is a good actor have u seen him in Anna and the King or the Killer, and even in Crouching Tiger Hidden Drangon. The only thing that I don’t like about this movie is all of a sudden Chow Yun-Fat is this great martial artist… Which I think is wrong. It gives guys like Jet Li and Jackie Chan a bad name. Since when does Chow Yun-Fat a knows Martial Arts. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did that to him. He should just be a shoot up em up action guy thats all. It gives the true martial artist a bad name. Although I’ll probably go see it anyways.

If you want to see some of Chow’s personality, rent “The Corrupter”, starring him and Mark Wahlberg. There’s one scene (I believe it’s the first) where he has a shootout with some thugs in a furniture store that is kick ass. The guy is just a smooth, cool bad ass… especially with a pistol in hand. He’s like an Asian Clint Eastwood. But I agree with the snetiments about turning him into a martial artist. It does him, and most Asian actors, a real disservice.

Ang Lee originally wanted Jet Li to star in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. But I believe Jet had family obligations. Also Ang Lee is asking agian Jet to play Chow’s role in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon part II. I think it should be Jet Li at least he is a true martial artist not Chow Yun-Fat. Chow is a actor.

Yeah, I said the same thing to myself. Chow yun Fat as a martial artist? Good thing his martial arts career will be short lived since this movie will tank. I can’t wait for it to suck in the box office too. Frankly, I’m offended that some studio exec greenlight this picture thinking that us moviegoers are so stupid that we’ll want to see trash like this. I can’t wait until they get what’s coming to them.

Why else but comic relief?

So, since Jet Li is a “true” martial artist he is only capable of portraying “martial artists” on the big screen? And since none of you seem to remember that Chow Yun-Fat WAS in a movie in the very early 80’s that displayed his martial arts prowess, he can’t display ANY skills - so as NOT to “insult” Jackie Chan and Jet Li? Incredible.

I don't see any of you complaining about Keanu Reeves, Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, and other actors who are currently displaying some martial arts "abilities" (for lack of a better word) on the big screen. Two of my favorite actors are Chow Yun-Fat and Tony Leung. These guys got presence, acting ability, and can switch from suave romantic lead to tough-action guy in a second. And have done it. In other words, they're versatile. Just like Jet Li and Jackie Chan have got to be.

Mustang: Yeah, I figured as much. It just stupifies me as to why THIS guy and not another more capable actor. Maybe he'll surprise me?

I had no idea that Chow had done a martial arts flick before. My thing is, not really so much that Chow Yun Fat is doing martial arts, it’s that this is going to be one of the dumbest movies of the year. I’m pissed off that crap like this gets made.