Bulldog : Coming Back ON HOLD

One more training session this week, then im off for a week then I start my peaking cycle.

I talked with Steve at my gym. He’s thinking of doing the April meet in Springfield, but when I mentioned the June meet, he might change his mind and go to that one.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
I talked with Steve at my gym. He’s thinking of doing the April meet in Springfield, but when I mentioned the June meet, he might change his mind and go to that one.[/quote]
OK…

3/23/11

warm up: pvc pipe
Deadlift: 135 x 3 x 5
225 x 5
260 x 5
310 x 4
360 x 3
410 x 2
490 x 1…WOW this one just flew off the floor ,Honestly it surprised the hell out of me. Definitely could have pulled a few reps with it.
550 x 0…OK, this is just called being over confident. At least I broke it off the floor. Luckily I got a wild hair and video it. I found that the issue was my set up. My rear end was not low enough and I didnt have my chest up at the start of the pull.There wasn’t a chance in hell that I was going to get it with that set up. I have the solution for that in the form of elevated deads.

At this point I just said heck with it and played around.

DB rows: 110 x 25

Pull downs: 2 x 10 x SW

Shrugs: 345 x 25/19

Standing band crunches 5 x 10

Well, that’s it. I’m off all next week then I jump into my peaking routine for the next Meet.I’m going to spend most of the time evaluation my log and coming up with some realistic numbers to base my training numbers going into this upcoming peaking phase.

Good work Bulldog. What is your deadlift goal for the June competition?

[quote]DBasler wrote:
Good work Bulldog. What is your deadlift goal for the June competition?[/quote]
Well im taking a real conservative mentality on this. As long I don’t pop my lat on my last bench attempt , I would say 550 for my third attempt… Because I pull better at meets and NASA normally has a actual dead lift bars at there meets and I find that it adds to my deads.

Nice pulling

I bet you get that 550 soon enough

^^ I think ill be hitting 550 easily by this fall as long as im smart about it.

Treadmill: 3.0 mph @ 1 % 30 minutes

Disclaimer: As I’ve stated before this if for fun. This is nothing more than a way to actual express my views on training that I’ve picked up over the years. Like with most things on line take it with a grain of salt.

Why I keep my mouth shut...

On T-Nation I admit from refraining from giving out advice. To begin with in my view there is already a massive amount of information on T-Nation some of it very good some not as much. I adding to the torrent of information would be redundant at best. In all honesty I refrain from it because I’m not an “expert” but neither am I a total moron in that regards. Of course it’s been my experience there aren’t any real Experts in are mutual endeavor, there just people who have a damn good grasp on the subject.

If anything ill refrain from any modesty and admit of having somewhat of a grasp on the subject of strength and size. Maybe, I do not have as vast of a knowledge base as others but defiantly more so then some. This has been earned by a large amount of trial and error and just time under the bar.

Up to this point, I would say that a huge deterrent from me expression my view regarding training, “At least on T-Nation”. Is that I don’t want to get into debates with some Keyboard experts whom tend to populate the message boards like maggots on a dead carcass. Nothing really annoys me more then someone whom talks the talk but can’t walk the walk. I don’t know wither to laugh or want to bitch slaps some of these individuals. It just bugs me when I read these self important message board gurus, whom have never competed in anything nor provide any proof of their claims, yet force their views down others throats. I’ve stated this before on my own blog that I don’t give a damn how much a person has read. I have more respect of a person’s opinion based on their time under the bar and how much they have achieved in that time period.

This sadly in my view this is why you DON'T see many Elite level guys coming on boards giving out advice to often. Because of the mindset of some Internet gurus .I know in my own mind I sure don't appreciate having to debate my views on bench training with some guy whom might only bench 185 lbs  for a single with a years experience. I sure as hell can't see a truly Elite level guy wanting to deal with this kind of foolishness.

Lets not forget the fact that allot of boards have a cult mentality about them. So much for free thinking individualism .God forbids I would say simply that I’m not completely in love with everything regarding 5/3/1. Another example if I would suggest that maybe West side might not be the most effective approach for an unequipped lifter. Worst yet if I had the balls to actually challenge what has been said by certain individuals whom have established themselves as the Alphas of that given forum. “Are you kidding me?” The villagers would grab their pitch forks and torches after they drank their Kool Aid and storm the freaking castle. Funny thing is 9 out of ten times if you really look. The one whom seems to scream the loudest for blood are the ones with the least experience and achievement. "No Thank you!!"I already have better things to do with my time. I have no urge to have to spend my time having to defend myself from the views of the brain dead hordes.

The final part of the equation is that I’ve never been directly asked for my opinion. I just find it hard just to intrude into someones log to give out unsolicited advice. Call it some strange quark of mine I guess. I find myself concerned that I may offend someone. Even if what they are doing might not be beneficial in what they’re trying to achieve.

Well I think that sums up nicely for why I tend to be happy just to keep my mouth shut. For anyone who might have been interested. Well this pretty much wraps up this Edition.

I like it.

Abuse and advice are two different things. It’s one thing to offer guidance to someone else, even if it’s not great, and another to just belittle him. The beginner’s section just appalls me. Some one has a real question which really bothers him and the response is just scathing. Disgusting.

Oh, and Dog, if you find that guy who can bench 185 after only one year of training, send him over to me - I need his secrets!!

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
Treadmill: 3.0 mph @ 1 % 30 minutes [/quote]

Bulldog, how many days a week do you walk? Is this always done on a rest day?

[quote]punnyguy wrote:
I like it.[/quote]

Thanks. I’m starting to enjoying doing them. Of course I m finding that im still doing some clean up on them after I post them.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Abuse and advice are two different things. It’s one thing to offer guidance to someone else, even if it’s not great, and another to just belittle him. The beginner’s section just appalls me. Some one has a real question which really bothers him and the response is just scathing. Disgusting.!![/quote]

The beginner section is the biggest offender of them all. You have Beginners or at least guys whom are at a early intermediate stage at best , giving out advice to other beginners.

Yeah it floors me how certain Self important legends in there own mind want to belittle some of the beginners. If they are so bothered by the lack of knowledge of some of these beginners why bother saying anything? I mean WTF??? It is a beginner section isn’t it?

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Oh, and Dog, if you find that guy who can bench 185 after only one year of training, send him over to me - I need his secrets!![/quote]

Cav that was just a over simplified example. But like I stated before I think it would be idiotic for me to get into a debate abut training philosiphy with someone who is a begginner.

[quote]jsrlifter wrote:

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
Treadmill: 3.0 mph @ 1 % 30 minutes [/quote]

Bulldog, how many days a week do you walk? Is this always done on a rest day?[/quote]

Honestly adding walking into my routine is pretty resent addition to my routine. I started it I think in February. I stopped for awhile when I got the Flu and im just starting back up right now.

Its not a major priority for me right now. Ive been sticking it in on the weekends ( first thing in morning before breakfast) and on days after squats and deads. ( Ive found doing this helps getting blood into my lower body and help improve recovery)

I started adding a walking routine for several reason.

1.Improve cardio capacity slightly

2.Slightly improve body composition without having to massively change diet

another excellent edition…

Though I will say, sometimes though most gifted athletes, lifters or whatever are the worst teachers…A lot of times the guys that toil in mediocrity (like myself) become such students of whatever athletic endeavor that they transcend seamlessly into good coaches. Like Pat Riley and Phil Jackson excellent coaches, mediocre scrubs as players… Isaiah Thomas HOF player horrid coach.

Maybe not the best correlation but I feel through my constant struggles, I have been able to see the same shortcomings in other lifters and offer my advice. Simply because I can commiserate in their frustration, and found something to overcome it.

just my .02

Matty, you’re spot on.

I’ve seen things differently since I started being an college instructor. I’ve worked with people who are really sharp at what they do, but they just can’t explain it to others. Web development or graphics, same thing, they may be whizzes at the job but good luck helping someone else reach the same level.

I’ve tried very hard to be able to communicate things to students, recognizing they aren’t at my level and need the simplest things clarified. Things which I take for granted are “what’s that?” to them. You have to start at the level they’re at, not the level you want them to be.

I also know enough when to keep my mouth shut and only offer advice if I have something really useful that’s relevant.

exactly, sometimes the best teacher is experience, alot of times the truly gifted and top notch at whatever pursuit cannot understand the struggles of someone not as gifted as them…Baseball is another excellent example

Bulldog,

In a nutshell, what kind of diet do you follow?