Bulldog: Leaning out the Old Dog

Do you use the trap bar as your primary deadlift?

Yepā€¦ Pretty much decided on it after reading this

I dont have a undying love for the Deads like some doā€¦ probably due to the fact that my leverages are shit for it and my best pulls have been mediocre at best in the past.
tb1

Above is the Trap bar I useā€¦ as you can see I do not have the option of using High handles and the grips are position at the same high as a normal barbell.
I am also a odd ball in the fact I do not get a huge increase in poundage like some people doā€¦ but I assume it is because I am not using a high handle.
Unless I get a wild hair and decide do go back and do some Meets I honestly have no urge to pull with a conventional bar.

2 Likes

My numbers arenā€™t high, but my TB dead with low handles was always a little bit lower than my sumo pull. High handles have a jump, though.

First time I injured my back DLing was with a trap bar though, so they scare me

2 Likes

I hurt my back with a trap bar.
Put that instrument of the devil to the back corner of my gym.

Itā€™ll be burning up all the oxygen, wonā€™t it?

Possiblyā€¦but more so the amount of fumes its putting out. I have been using it for several winters now. The only difference is that I have been allowing it to run longer so that my garage is warmer than in the past.

@aaron.griffin @clee78 so do you guys think the issue was do to being able to lift slightly more than a conventional or the slight variation in the movement?

I donā€™t think so. I think my lever lengths or flexibility might not be able to do that movement with a flat back

1 Like

It wasnā€™t more weight. My technique was bad.
I donā€™t think I can lift more with a trap bar, I havenā€™t tried though.
The weight got behind me. I was too far forward in the hex. I canā€™t remember the name of the barbell lift where you do a DL with the bar behind your feet, it looks nucking futs. That was what happened to me. I try to pull back and up with my DL . The bar scrapes my shins. Thatā€™s what happened with the trap bar and the weight got behind me. It took a couple of weeks to feel better, but I decided it wasnā€™t for me. My son loves the trap bar. So do lots of folks.

1 Like

Seated BTNP: 185 x 5 just called for reps
3 x 5 @ 140

SSB JM press: Bunch
NG pull ups: Bunch
Arm Curls : who cares
quick easy session

1 Like

I dont know if I can say I love the trap barā€¦just like it more than a conventional pull. I guess you can say I view it as a necessary evil.LOL

1 Like

Felt like I was cheating the few times I used it.

If you meant the trap barā€¦I have no moral qualms over it. LOL

squat%20bd

SSbar squats: 2 x 5 @290lbs/131.5kgs
290lbs/131kgs x 12 ā€¦ had plenty of reps remaining . BUT rep speed was slowing down.
( skipped any direct quad work since I felt the squats were plenty today)
SSbar GMā€™s: 5 x 10 @ SW ā€¦ was lazy and didnt feel like switching out bars
Bench sit ups: 5 x 10 ā€¦ no additional resistance. I mentioned awhile back ago I pulled my abdominals. Jumped back too quick and irritated them last week.

For the record I am running the Rhodes 5-5/3/1 template for the next two cycles.

2 Likes

Why switch out for GMs?
SSB can do it all! Iā€™ve seen video of people pressing with it, although I donā€™t understand why.

1 Like

Spoto and JM presses. The pads set the height for you. I think you get a little leverage assist on the JM press as well.

2 Likes

OH I knowā€¦ Just have a odd quark that I want to have a straight bar across my back.

Been doing Jm presses with it

Bulldog, heā€™s right.

1 Like

Oh I know