Bulking With Ramen Noodles?

Look up all the articles by John Berardi
and Lonnie Lowery. pay attention to the 7 habits article and build from there.

also Metabolic Drive or Classic Grow!
are very good protiens and a value for the quality of the product. sure you can get a 5 gallon bucket for thirty bucks. but at what quality.

Im fairly new to this site been around about a year and have learned more in that year than the 37 previous years good luck.
Mike

[quote]zarathus wrote:
the ramen isn’t good for post workout either…the saturated fats will block carb absorbtion.[/quote]

This statement is pure nonsense. There is absolutely no truth to it.

[quote]garagedoor79 wrote:
I haven’t had Ramen’s since I was in school, many many years ago, but I think what’s worse than the crap they call the actual noodles, is how much sodium is in the flavouring! Gotta go cleaner than that my bro.
[/quote]

Unless you suffer from high blood pressure, sodium intake is not something the average person needs to worry about.

This is just another myth that keeps being perpetuated by those who don’t know better.

[quote]garagedoor79 wrote:
Another cheap idea is 3 or 4 frozen waffles (junk carb alert), but go nuts with cottage cheese on top with a dropping of jam or jelly on top.
[/quote]

You warn against ramen, but recommend frozed waffles? Have you looked at the nutritional panel on the average frozed waffle?

Ramen is a much better choice.

[quote]grew7 wrote:
Damn. Are there any relatively cheap but still healthy foods? Or is bulking only an option if you have a lot of extra money to blow?[/quote]

As a post workout meal I like to use mac and cheese and bumble bee canned salmon.

Kraft supermac and cheese per box=
600 calories total
6 grams fat
117 grams carbs
21 grams protien
9 grams fiber

Bumble bee canned salmon per can=
200 calories total
4 grams fat (all good fats)
0 carbs
44 grams protien

Grand total
800 calories total
10 grams fat
117 grams carbs
65 grams protien

cost about $2.00

[quote]grew7 wrote:

Also, am I correct in assuming that protein powder would be protein, the butter my fats, and the grain rice carbs?

I could do that, but how should I split them up? Like, how many calories should come from each? Is there an article I could search for that touches on this?[/quote]

No, the protein powder will be your carbs, the butter your protein, and the grain rice your fats. WTF. Sorry. I definitely think you need to read up on John Berardi. Also, look for an article by his brother, Steve. It deals with bulking in college and bulking on a budget. It should help you out.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
zarathus wrote:
the ramen isn’t good for post workout either…the saturated fats will block carb absorbtion.

This statement is pure nonsense. There is absolutely no truth to it.[/quote]

It is a stupid statement sort of coming out of left field. But it’s not pure nonsense. You do want to minimize fat as much as possible post-workout.

I’m pretty sure ramen noodles are loaded with sodium so i wouldnt really be eating ten packs a day…

[quote]grew7 wrote:
That’s a freaking awesome deal. 10 cents for a pack of 371 calories!
[/quote]

Oh, you’ll be bulking alright.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
zarathus wrote:
the ramen isn’t good for post workout either…the saturated fats will block carb absorbtion.

It is a stupid statement sort of coming out of left field. But it’s not pure nonsense. You do want to minimize fat as much as possible post-workout.[/quote]

Actually, the most recent research on the topic shows that fats may not hinder post-workout nutrition as previously believed.

EACH pack of Ramen is 2 servings. Take a look at the fat/saturated fat. Its 6 grams (sat fat) for every pack. Yeah we all know you need some saturated fat but this isnt your normal saturated fat. I wouldnt suggest using Ramen. How about some whole wheat pasta? Its cheap as hell at Costo, BJ’s etc. and much better for you?

I never thought of that… Well, I didn’t even know what whole-wheat pasta is. And I still don’t. I’m going to google it…

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
zarathus wrote:

It is a stupid statement sort of coming out of left field. But it’s not pure nonsense. You do want to minimize fat as much as possible post-workout.

Actually, the most recent research on the topic shows that fats may not hinder post-workout nutrition as previously believed.[/quote]

Interesting. Any links? Not calling you out. Just curious

[quote]grew7 wrote:
I never thought of that… Well, I didn’t even know what whole-wheat pasta is. And I still don’t. I’m going to google it…[/quote]

Next time you buy pasta, look around for ones that are made of whole wheat, rather than processed flours. Just look at the ingredient section of the box.

Alright, thanks.

So, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just live on whey protein, whole-wheat pasta, and almond butter if I threw in some veggies and real meats once or twice a day?

[quote]grew7 wrote:
Alright, thanks.

So, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just live on whey protein, whole-wheat pasta, and almond butter if I threw in some veggies and real meats once or twice a day?[/quote]

sounds like that would get boring, and possibly leave you deficient in some micronutrients (hard to say though without knowing how many veggies).

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
ChrisKing wrote:
zarathus wrote:

Actually, the most recent research on the topic shows that fats may not hinder post-workout nutrition as previously believed.

Interesting. Any links? Not calling you out. Just curious
[/quote]

I don’t have access to anything at the moment, but I believe Lonnie Lowery, or one of the other contributors here, mentioned one of the studies.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
grew7 wrote:
Alright, thanks.

So, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just live on whey protein, whole-wheat pasta, and almond butter if I threw in some veggies and real meats once or twice a day?

sounds like that would get boring, and possibly leave you deficient in some micronutrients (hard to say though without knowing how many veggies).
[/quote]

I don’t see the problem with it being “boring”. I don’t particularly enjoy eating anyway, even if it all tasted great I’d see it as just something I have to do. The only problem I’d have is if something was so disgusting I’d gag it down.

Veggies, I’d eat mostly celery, green beans, carrots, broccoli and as much as I should. I just don’t know how much “should” is.

clean bulk:

1meal:
-5 chicken breasts and some broccli

xen bulk:

1 Meal:

• 2 chicken breasts, some broccli (eat about a head a day), milk shake, double western bacon cheese burger, a six dollar burger and crisscut fries.

Bulk according to what you can eat. Not your pocket, I stopped paying for cable just so that I could have more money to buy food haha.

point taken on the fat-inclusion controversy (though the fact that there is a controversy suggests that it isn’t absolute rubbish, or pure nonsense), but it still isn’t doing anything something else could do much more cleanly and just about as cheap (cottage cheese, eggs, milk, protein powder…)

whatever.