Bulking with Leangains IF?

thanks for all the info

I tried to bulk using IF, you might have noticed, nodded at, and forgotten my thread a while ago. I found I couldn’t get enough calories in without jacking my fats up too high or feeling bloated and eargh.
I am sure it would work, just not for me (digestive reasons). Even so, I would also recommend taking BCAAs pre-and peri-workout.

If i were to be bulking on IF, i’d probably stick with a pre-workout meal ~1-2 hours beforehand. or in your case, take SWF & SR. Those on top of daily calories, i think would be plenty to se size increase. dont forget creatine, a fantastic supp

It’s difficult. Fitting the calories into a true 8 hour window is quite a chore and it feels physically uncomfortable. I was eating my calories (3800+) over 3 meals with a pre- and postworkout shake, the bulk of my calories coming around my workout. It’s not fun.

However, I do think that for whatever reason it keeps you leaner than a traditional meal every 2-3 hours diet. Progress will be slower but most of your gains will be good weight.

i’d agreed, it may be uncomfortable for some, i personally don’t think it’s that bad. Eat calorically dense foods.

when you guys were doing lean gains for you peri workout nutrition were you taking anything else besides creatine, BCAA, and the alaline?

BCAAs and beta-A, didnt take creatine until post workout. Creatine is best absorbed when consumed with simple carbs.

If I had a whole food meal to break my fast, or was lifting at the start of my feeding hours, I just drank a whey shake before with a Poptart and bigger whey shake after with two low-fat Poptarts.

If I was training fasted I had a 20g Xtend BCAA shake.

i plan on my feed window being from 12p-8m. my workouts last about 1.5 hours so i plan on doing the fasted training with BCAA beginning around 10A then once im done at about 11:30 ill slam some sSurge recovery and wait about 30 minutes for food.

i experimented today with some semi fasted training. i fasted for about 6 hours after waking up. i had SWF and some MAG-10 before and during workout and the SR afterwards and 1200cal worth of food 30 minutes later. i feel really good. not sleepy at all and not bloated.

I am doing this now. It works amazingly well for cutting while still gaining strength and keeping muscle. The probem with the macros is that you have to essentially guess on this thing called an activity factor when you calculaate your macros formula. Basically this factor is a number like 1.1 (you add 10% to the raw number you calculate). If you have a couch potatoe job you get a 1.1, if your daily activities are more demanding you get a 1.2. Getting the number right can be a chore. I think people who ARE couch potatoes overestimate the number and overshoot calories and active people underestimate their number and undershoot. I just spent two weeks experimenting with this number and don’t quite have it right yet for what they call a slow bulk. On the bright side even though I screwed it up that just means I am not gaining or or losing and my BFP% has stayed the same.

I’m going to recalculate for tomorrow and up things around 10% which is only around 450 calories. Apparently there is a sweet spot where you can gain about a pound a week (1/2 muscle half fat) and metabolise the fat part during your off days. This leaves you with 1/2 pound real muscle gain each week. Slow but real.

One thing I can say is that eating this much in such a small window is tough. Not so much getting enough protein but the carbs and (good) fat. There is only so many plates of sweet potatoes you can fit in your stomach. I have resorted to slow digesting carb powder and spoonfuls of olive oil or peanut butter towards the end of my windows to make up any shortfalls. I train fasted, finish around 8:30 but don’t eat until noon on workout days. I then eat the same post workout concoctions everyone else takes with my first (nearly 2000 calorie) meal. “Dieting” has never been so fun.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
when you guys were doing lean gains for you peri workout nutrition were you taking anything else besides creatine, BCAA, and the alaline?[/quote]

i plan on my feed window being from 12p-8m. my workouts last about 1.5 hours so i plan on doing the fasted training with BCAA beginning around 10A then once im done at about 11:30 ill slam some sSurge recovery and wait about 30 minutes for food.

i experimented today with some semi fasted training. i fasted for about 6 hours after waking up. i had SWF and some MAG-10 before and during workout and the SR afterwards and 1200cal worth of food 30 minutes later. i feel really good. not sleepy at all and not bloated.[/quote]

Please go read all the stuff written about Leangains. You can’t really use any Biotest periworkout supplements (so no SWF!!) while on Leangains. They’re diametrically opposed. You end up having to decide between a great eating program and one of the best supplement regimens available. Totally up to you, but you can’t combine the two.

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

when you guys were doing lean gains for you peri workout nutrition were you taking anything else besides creatine, BCAA, and the alaline?[/quote]

i experimented today with some semi fasted training. i fasted for about 6 hours after waking up. i had SWF and some MAG-10 before and during workout and the SR afterwards and 1200cal worth of food 30 minutes later. i feel really good. not sleepy at all and not bloated.[/quote]

Please go read all the stuff written about Leangains. You can’t really use any Biotest periworkout supplements (so no SWF!!) while on Leangains. They’re diametrically opposed. You end up having to decide between a great eating program and one of the best supplement regimens available. Totally up to you, but you can’t combine the two.[/quote]

Sure you can.

[quote]ramadano wrote:
One thing I can say is that eating this much in such a small window is tough. Not so much getting enough protein but the carbs and (good) fat. There is only so many plates of sweet potatoes you can fit in your stomach. I have resorted to slow digesting carb powder and spoonfuls of olive oil or peanut butter towards the end of my windows to make up any shortfalls. I train fasted, finish around 8:30 but don’t eat until noon on workout days. I then eat the same post workout concoctions everyone else takes with my first (nearly 2000 calorie) meal. “Dieting” has never been so fun.

I use a pulse feast style of IF and I generally never find a problem getting my quota, despite having a 3-4 feeding window many days - and that’s following a 20-hour fast! My issue sometimes is gorging on stuff post-dinner. Main culprits usually nuts and PB (often together). I can easily put away 2000kcals of the stuff.

Been reading some of the Leangains stuff and am interested on the +20/-20% kcal formula for training and non-training days. Sounds like a good plan to follow.

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

Please go read all the stuff written about Leangains. You can’t really use any Biotest periworkout supplements (so no SWF!!) while on Leangains. They’re diametrically opposed. You end up having to decide between a great eating program and one of the best supplement regimens available. Totally up to you, but you can’t combine the two.[/quote]

Sure you can.
[/quote]

Not if you’re training fasted as it appears the OP wants to… That’s kind of part of the program

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

Sure you can.
[/quote]

Not if you’re training fasted as it appears the OP wants to… That’s kind of part of the program[/quote]

You don’t have to train fasted. Especially if you are training later in the day.

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

Sure you can.
[/quote]

Not if you’re training fasted as it appears the OP wants to… That’s kind of part of the program[/quote]

You don’t have to train fasted. Especially if you are training later in the day.[/quote]

Truth. Martin’s ‘default’ plan or the one he usually recommends is usually the plan that includes one pre-workout meal.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]JGrace55 wrote:

Sure you can.
[/quote]

You don’t have to train fasted. Especially if you are training later in the day.[/quote]

Truth. Martin’s ‘default’ plan or the one he usually recommends is usually the plan that includes one pre-workout meal. [/quote]

And I think a Finibar with Anaconda/Mag10 peri would be similar to a preworkout meal, with BCAA during. Or even SWF+Anaconda/Mag10. Might even be more optimal. Of course Martin isn’t going to necessarily recommend this stuff as he doesn’t recommend a whole lot of supplements for simplicity sake.

It really aint that bad, it just depends… every once in a while I will get the munchies.

How would someone combine MAG-10 pulses with leangains? Does the pulses during the 16 hours window “ruin” the fasted state?

If you pulse during the 16hr window yes it will break your fast.
The reason it breaks the fast is because it spikes your insulin. You can still do it, it’s not going to be a true fast but will work to some degree (so I’ve heard), however, it does look good on paper.
Reminds me of the V-diet but with meals.
Try it out, I do 16-22hr fast with no pulsing or anything and it works good. That’s just personally of course.