T Nation

Bulking With 90 Minutes Cardio

I am tired of being skinny fat and constantly thinking “I’m fat” when it’s because I have no muscle.

I can’t quit swimming, at this point I would, but I’ve made a dedication and I will stick to it. Because swimming is at 3-5 or 5-7, depending on day, I plan to wake up at 5:50am every other morning to go lift for one hour, full body workouts (or should I do upper and lower body splits?)

Now if I was just lifting for one hour three - four times a week, by all means I would eat clean and get all of my calories mostly from the best choices.

However with 90 minutes of cardio thrown in of swimming, instense, I only have 3 meals / 4 meals a day (I plan to refill a tub of peanutbutter with the peanutbutter when it runs out so I have night snack)

If I shoot for 1,000 calories every meal from 75% clean foods (i think I will get full after 750 calories of pure lean beef and vegetables)

So my plan is as follows:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays - wake up at 5:50 and workout from 6-7.

everyday swimming for 90-120 minutes, intense / moderate

My diet will be somewhat as this:
Breakfast, lots and lots of eggs (try to go for 5-6)
1 cup of regular fat yogurt
2 slices of whole wheat toast
2 glasses chocolate milk
Apple
Banana

Lunch:
PBJ on whole wheat
16oz skim milk
Whatever meat is in the caf
2 Apples // Bowl of spaghetti

Dinner: (directly after swimming)
1lb of whatever meat is in caf
16oz Chocolate milk
1 entire plate of vegetables

9:30pm (1 hour before bed)
4-6tbsp peanutbutter // half cup of mixed nuts

How do you think my gains will look as with muscle and keeping the fat moderately low (I don’t want to develop more fat than muscle in this case at my low weight and muscle mass, it will look pretty bad)

Oh yeah, days I workout, take the banana at breakfast and place it before my workout in addition to a scoop of Whey to quickly replenish my glyco levels seeing as how I am only awake 10 minutes before pumping the iron

You know, I don’t like when people post things like this and refuse to post their stats (height, weight, goals etc.). It’ll be a lot easier to give you advice.

Well, it seems like you have an appetite which is good. Only problem I see with your plan is your nutrient timing.

Nutrient timing may not sound important to you, but I find eating every 2-3 hours is the fastest way to get big. Just think about it like this. By consuming food every 2-3 hours you keep your anabolic switch turned on! Anabolic basically means the building of living tissue in the body. Catabolic means the opposite; the breakdown of living tissue. The aim is always to keep your anabolic switch turned on. Remember that! I always think to myself the same thing. If I’m not being anabolic, I’m being catabolic. If I’m being catabolic, I’m losing muscle. When I lose muscle, I’ll gain fat.

The key is to watch the clock hard, and plan your meals accordingly.

5-7 meals a day will be great for you.

I don’t understand why people decrease their calories when they are increasing their activity level. Unless, going into an extreme cutting mode. Your trying to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Keep the calories clean and high, man.

I feel your “skinny fat” pain. It’s just a phase. Stick through it and you’ll be huge. Don’t let it stress you.

I’ll send you a basic yet great article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

-Kevin Haywood

yes you can add mass and do your swimming. sure it may slow the progress some but its just going to take proper nutrition and intense smart training. go in lift the damn weigts dont play LIFT get out eat and rest.

Upper lower, full body, etc any as long as you bring it. do the damn thing any of them will give results if you do them.

On the food why can there not be more intake between say breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner. Be proactvie plan a bit carry food. that would allow more yet a bit smaller meals.

give it a go.

Phill

As for your question should you do Full Body or Upper/Lower Splits that’s up to you.

If you asked my opinion, I would say I think it’s best for you to lift 3-times-a-week. Full body or upper/lower split is up to you.

I was successful with The Waterbury Method (Full Body Program). I saw great results with Westside for Skinny Bastards (Upper/Lower Body Split). Those are two great 3-times-a-week programs.

It’s just a recommendation.

-Kevin Haywood

How many times does this guy have to post before people recognize who it is and stop responding to this crap?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1343773

Fried Rice,
Just start lifting and eating. Stop the planning phase. You’ve been planning to begin eating and working out for months now. You’ve been given the knowledge, now apply it.

[quote]skaklight wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1343773[/quote]

I see, I see, I see…

Interesting…

Fried Rice, what more do you need? You got 3 pages of help in the last thread you created! It’s not like you came back a year later to show progress and ask what to do after that.

You came back 5 days later!

As Modi said it’s time you apply the knowledge and stop fussing. You don’t get built overnight. Come back in a year and prove to us you can make some progress.

-Kevin

Gonna clean up the diet and get rid of all the icecream and sweets now. Enjoyed them while I could because from now on only things I will eat are the things that will make me look good nekid, and lots of em.

Also, what would be more effective in making more noticeable goals, full body or upper lower body split? Gonna start Tuesday with my workout regime (when I get back to school)

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Gonna clean up the diet and get rid of all the icecream and sweets now. Enjoyed them while I could because from now on only things I will eat are the things that will make me look good nekid, and lots of em.

Also, what would be more effective in making more noticeable goals, full body or upper lower body split? Gonna start Tuesday with my workout regime (when I get back to school)[/quote]

Do an upper/lower 4 days per week if you can…if you can only do 3 days then do 3 full body workouts.

Please start you next post with…I’ve been lifting consistently now for the past 4 weeks.

If your next post is about what fucking planning stage you are in, god help you.

Alright my next post will be in January of 2007 ok?

Alright my next post will be in January of 2007 ok?[/quote]

Why? How about 2008? 2009? Why do you think anyone wants to hear about your exploits over the next month?

Also, what would be more effective in making more noticeable goals, full body or upper lower body split? Gonna start Tuesday with my workout regime (when I get back to school)[/quote]

Dude, once and for all, you need to stop fretting so much about being Mr Lean. This is especially true if you actually want to build muscle.

You will have to eat excess calories, and it doesn’t much matter where they come from, as long as you are also getting good nutritious foods as the base of your diet.

If you really want to get bigger, there are no secrets here. There is no perfect workout. There is no perfect meal. There is no “best” anything.

All you have to do is eat enough food to support growth. Yes, I know, you want to stay lean as hell, but you generally will find it impossible to gain and lose at the same time unless you are fairly new to exercise.

Stop asking stupid questions and looking for some magic way to get everything done perfectly. This is real life. There is no perfect way. Eat a boatload of food while working out and getting good rest and recovery and you’ll grow… especially given your current size.

It’s possible you’ll have to be less lean for a while, so that your body will support muscle growth, but for fuck sakes someone like yourself can easily drop fat later if necessary. You know how to do that, so stop trying to maintain such low fat like an anorexic schoolgirl.

You look like shit because you are a skinny little fuck. Put some muscle on your frame and you’ll look better… believe it or not. Now fuck off and go eat something and stop bugging us with your incessant and obsessive bullshit.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that friedrice is mentally challenged in some form. I don’t mean that in a negative way, just that there is no way that he can keep creating these posts, get the advice he’s been getting, and then continue posting comments throughout like he didn’t read any of it. It’s just not possible for someone with an IQ over 80.

I question his stats, his routines, his cardio he is so dedicated to, his “fear” of eating, etc. It’s all starting to sound delusional to me.

What will prove my point is his lack of response in any coherent manner to my post.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
friedrice683 wrote:
Alright my next post will be in January of 2007 ok?

Why? How about 2008? 2009? Why do you think anyone wants to hear about your exploits over the next month? [/quote]

Never a truer sentence spoken, LOL