T Nation

Bulking While Maintaing Speed

Hey guys just a quick question. Currently I’m taking in about 2000 cal/day and weigh in at about 175lbs. I know I need to start eating more if I want to gain more size the problem is I’m concerned about running. How can I put on size but maintain the speed I currently run. Work legs more? More Cardio? Thanks.

Squats, milk, sprints.

Are you trying to maintain speed in sprint (fast twitch) or long distance (slow twitch)? Is this for a track team or your own piece of mind?

You are trying to achieve two goals that can conflict with each other. Either way, you need to be eating way more. People can gain mass during running training, but you used the term ‘bulking’, so I am only assuming you want to put on as much as possible. Diet, diet, diet.

Just be aware that (long distance) you are not going to be able to maximize your growth if you are running a lot. That said, find out what is more important to you and accept what needs to be done.

You shouldn’t lose speed unless you put on a load of fat.

[quote]laujik wrote:
Are you trying to maintain speed in sprint (fast twitch) or long distance (slow twitch)? Is this for a track team or your own piece of mind?

You are trying to achieve two goals that can conflict with each other. Either way, you need to be eating way more. People can gain mass during running training, but you used the term ‘bulking’, so I am only assuming you want to put on as much as possible. Diet, diet, diet.

Just be aware that (long distance) you are not going to be able to maximize your growth if you are running a lot. That said, find out what is more important to you and accept what needs to be done.[/quote]

Its 2mile or more distance for the army. Appreciate your input.

[quote]Matter.Time wrote:
[/quote]

IN that case, you may want to limit your lower body weight training.

I’ve found that continuing to train heavy, for low reps, is best. Just keep the volume low and stay away from training to failure as running itself will interfere with your recovery.

Thats what I tend to do and it has been working out pretty well I just figured it was about time to put some more meat on myself.

[/quote]

Im curious if your Canadian or American. Just cause the can army only requires you to run 2.4 KM or 1.5 miles to qualify to get in, then you have to do more shit in your Basic Military Qualifications (BMQ).

Personally I found that when I started squatting heavy I lost a lot of distance but could increase my sprinting speed loads. I think it is safe to say that if you put on a lot of sixe you will lose distance whether that size is in fat or muscle.

Its 2mile or more distance for the army. Appreciate your input.[/quote]

The PFT standards are really low. Don’t worry about it messing up your run. You shouldn’t have any problems running 8 minute miles for 2 miles at any weight if you actually go out and run occasionally.

I’d caution against gaining too much weight quickly if you also plan on increasing your running distance concurrently. The combination of the two is quick way to beat up your joints.

2mile run isnt exactly a speed test. if you run semi-regularly and have a good body composition im sure you’ll do fine. just keep doing some cardio when you can.

[quote]iwong wrote:
I’d caution against gaining too much weight quickly if you also plan on increasing your running distance concurrently. The combination of the two is quick way to beat up your joints.[/quote]

I absolutely agree if this guy was planning on running frequently, but a 2 mile run occasionally shouldn’t be a problem for his joints. There’s plenty of other ways to get his cardio in. I know those military gyms have tons of elliptical machines, a few bikes and usually an indoor swimming pool. For most people that spend any time in the gym, the two mile run stresses the heart, not the leg muscles…unless going for a perfect score.