T Nation

Bulking Up: New Diet and Training

First off, i would just like to apologize if this is in the wrong section… thought we had a “training” forum. my bad

ok. well quick history. im 6’2 weighing in at about 220 with 12% bf right now. use to be fat, that changed when i started lifting about 3-4yrs ago. used to have a bad diet, got real low in weight (178 was my smallest i think- cuz im an idiot!). anyway, i ate everything cuz i wanted to bulk, got to 245 with decent strength gains and about 15-20lbs muscle gain.

my training began about 4 years ago and was complete bs. i have since tried a few programs, relying mostly on westside, however, i dont feel like im gettin the most out of it with the lower rep range. so basically im tryin to change up my training and my diet for a new bulk.

im just finishign up the v-diet (last week!) and have dropped bout 23lbs to 221 or so, going to do a transition for 2 weeks, go on a beach week binge of bad stuff hahhaa and then come back on a thursday and start out fresh.

totals now followed shortly by future plans:

bench: 245x2, 255x1, 265x0, 285x1 3 board
squat: 425 box squat, 275x5 oly, 390 parallel wide stance squat
deads: 435 conv, 425sumo

obviously i want to increase stength, but i feel as if i need to put on size to get this done. to do this, i plan on starting on the Anabolic Diet that “fresh” week i was talking about. I feel this will be good after the vdiet b/c my body should be decently adjusted to lower carbs and lots of protein. im really excited to get the calories back up b/c it has been stagnant in the gym (plus a shattered finger doesnt help hahah)

anywho, i think i am going to try out Optimized Volume Training while on the Anabolic Diet. I was thinking a 10x10, but thougth strength would be weird on that, so i was debatin 5x5. saw OVT and kind of want to try. but that is where i am looking for recommendations… im tryin to focus on stength gains but want to put size on. i dont give a fcuk about my abs cuz i have never seen them adn dont know what the fuck they look like. probably shooting for about 260 or so before another cut (did the last cut at 245) but that depends on how good its going.

please help a fellow lifter out. let me know if yall think there is a better option in terms of diet adn training. i really like the lower carb diets as i find myself worthless with lots o f carbs anyways. thanks playas

bibbity bump bump

I would give Berardi’s massive eating reloaded a try before the anabolic diet, it is far easier to follow and will get you great results in terms of muscle gain with minimal fat gain. As for training what your planning looks pretty good…

ShadoW

On diet, if you handle low carb well then the AD will be good for you. An alternative would be T-dawg 2.0.

On training, you are probably at the stage where a split routine is advisable. Check out CT’s stuff. HSS100 might be the go. On the other hand, if you like basic approaches, Dan John’s One Lift A Day might be good. Don’t be fooled by the title. It is a killer.

ive tried out the HSS100 and didnt like it very much. im still a little worried that OVT might be overkill, so im just thinkin bout the Starr 5x5.

The Massive Eating would be better? I was plannin on gettin on the maintenance portion of AD for a little over the summer break, then get into the mass phase. Ive still got a little bit of time to figure this out… so id like some more advice…

why is it the kids who post on here about bein skinny fat and are just retarded get more posts than someone looking for some serious advice. it makes no sense

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:

why is it the kids who post on here about bein skinny fat and are just retarded get more posts than someone looking for some serious advice. it makes no sense[/quote]

That’s b/c nothing drives us crazier than Tobey Maguire wannabees that weight 145# and want to bulk to 148#… but do it completely cleanly without gaining any fat over the 3 year journey from 145# to 148#.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
ive tried out the HSS100 and didnt like it very much. im still a little worried that OVT might be overkill, so im just thinkin bout the Starr 5x5.

The Massive Eating would be better? I was plannin on gettin on the maintenance portion of AD for a little over the summer break, then get into the mass phase. Ive still got a little bit of time to figure this out… so id like some more advice…

why is it the kids who post on here about bein skinny fat and are just retarded get more posts than someone looking for some serious advice. it makes no sense[/quote]

5x5 is excellent. Go to geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_
thread.htm#PART%20I:%20The%20Program for good detail on how to work it. Or you could buy Mark Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength”.

If you want more on the AD, go to the “My experience on the Anabolic Diet” thread. Post whatever questions you have. I am sure you will get helpful answers.

The skinny kids get more posts because they don’t want to listen to the advice they get in the first place.

yea, i saw that 5x5 madcow set up. doesnt that set anyone up for overtraining? it seems easy in construction but doing essentially only 4 different movements at least 2 times a week seems demanding.

i was thinking to myself “why dont i just try WS4SB again?” but then i decided that i should try something new like 5x5 or OVT for the preliminary 8 weeks, and then decide whether to jump back into WS.

so what is the better looking one? 5x5 or OVT? the OVT has more volume for each muscle group but stil follows a 5x5 pattern. im a little worried that might be too extreme but i guess i will be eating for it anyway.

im thinking im still goin to do AD, b/c i like the idea of carb ups. Massive Eating might come in to play for my bulk phase but i think i want to try AD for a maintenance before to see how it is.

Either way, i think i will do a maintenance with some random maybe full body program… then when i get into the bulk i will start the 5x5 or OVT, b/c i want to throw on serious mass on it…and there is no better way.

comments? question? suggestions? pants?

bump beep bop bump

I’ve been a HUGE proponent of Bill Starr and his 5x5 forever.

I find though, that my back cannot handle the volume coupled with the intensity it reqires at least now that I’m 36 y/o.

I’ve since switched to Westside for Skinny Bastards (don’t let the name fool you, I weigh 252lbs). It’s a MWF thing where “Wednesday” is lower body while M&F are two differing upper
body days one max effort and one retetition day.

I’ve modified it to suit my strengths and weaknesses and my Highland Games comp. upcoming.

And modifying it to suit you is what’s it’s all about anyway.

Give it a look.

yea, i tried that for a bit. ive been using a modified westside temp for a while too. i was undereating when i tried it, so unfortunately it didnt do much for me. when i get on this next training protocol, as you can see, im goin to be eating through the roof. at least 4500cals a day.

i plan on tryin out either 5x5 or OVT till it stalls… then get back on WS. a little change of pace, maybe ill blow up on it and then come back to westside with like 30lbs on each lift (i would love life)… so my plan is to run for at least 8 weeks, hopefully more to when/if i stall…

so 5x5 seems to be the best solution so far… it seems so simple, yet so powerful

I doubt you’ll increase you’re working weight 30 lbs in 8 weeks. That seems a bit unrealistic. I think you’re thinking about this too much (we all do though). Do a simple 5x5 and eat a lot.

Also, I agree with the recommendation for massive eating reloaded.

i know im thinkin bout it too much… hahaha. im just excited thats all!

you think Massive Eating over AD? so basically eat P+F and then P+C for lots of food… i mean, it would get carbs in me which i guess would be beneficial in the morning. any other reasons to do this?

oh… and i wasnt expecting 30lbs in 8 weeks… i was just sayin i want to go back to WS with 30+lbs. but i did say i wanted to run this for at least 8 weeks or until it stops working… sorry for me being dumb/confusing… hahaha

can you tell me why you think massive eatin reloaded would be more beneficial than AD?

Well, from what I’ve heard, the AD is a lot harder to do a bulk on because it’s difficult to get in the needed amount of calories (search eating like a man article). If you can do this, give it a shot as people on here are doing it right now and having success with it. Massive eating is farily straight forward and a bit simplier. I think either would work, but don’t limit yourself to eating this strict. If you’re looking to gain mass, you don’t need to follow the principles perfectly to make gains,

this is very true… however, im tryin to have a cleaner bulk then last time. granted, i needed to just put on weight again (174 at 6’2 at 11-12%), but i got to about 22-23% body fat at 245. now im down to 218 at about 11-12…

i would like to get, at most about 18%bf around 260, which i dont think would be too hard… again, im just tryin to set up a guideline for this. if i use Massive Eating just to get my macronutrient timing right, i assume i could do this pretty easily.

thanks for your input

just finished up the Velocity Diet. Down from 243 to 217.5, or 25.5lbs in 28 days. im going to continue the transition through at least this week. Then get back up to regular calories and start a bulk in a few weeks. I feel quite small now… cant wait to get back up in size…