T Nation

Bulking Up - Day One - Need Help

Hey again,

OK, so today I started working out/eating to bulk up and gain muscle and all of that following the advice I got here. I think today I did pretty well, but still need to fine-tune the eating to get more protein and fewer carbs. Heres my fitday food chart/breakdown

What do you guys eat for protein? I'm finding milk, chicken, fish, and cottage cheese are like...my only protein sources. I still need to get more fat and calories into my diet as well as getting more calories. But seeing as it was my first day of working out / eating better, I think I did pretty well.

Thanks,
Adam

Grow!, eggs, and BEEF.

No offense, but if it is your first day of working out, just start eating more. Once you start putting on the weight (you are bulking, right?), then you can worry more about your macronutrient breakdown.

Suggestions: Cheeseburgers, meat burritos, tacos, pasta with meat sauce, chicken alfredo, chili... think any kind of food with meat in it and BINGO!

Try getting some Grow! into the mix... maybe a shake or two a day. Feel free to mix it with ice cream and milk. Or really with anything. You need calories.

Truly 1400 calories is not going to help you bulk. Unless you are under a 100 pounds, you really need more than DOUBLE that amount of calories. In case you haven't seen it, look at John Berardi's calorie calculator. He's also got great tips for eating big.

1,400 calories? To "bulk"? Are you a man or a woman? Even if you are a girl, most small women can eat more than that when dieting.

Graphicsman is right, there is no reason for someone who just set foot in a gym to be this anal about their intake to the point of making graphs when they don't even know how to eat more in a day than what I try to get down per meal.

Here's a way I get up to 4,000 calories and 370+ g protein on a relatively clean bulking diet.

Breakfast:

4 egg whites + 1 omega 3 egg + a shitload of cheese = scrambled eggs
1 cup oatmeal w/ 1 cup milk + 1 scoop grow
An apple or strawberries

Meal 2:

Tuna + lowfat Mayo on triscuit crackers
1 cup 4% minimum cottage cheese
More fruit

Meal 3:

Turkey, Ham and Swiss w/ lettuce, tomato, onions on whole wheat
More fruit

Meal 4:

2 cups milk + 2 scoops grow + 3 tbsp natural peanut butter

Meal 5:

2 large chicken breasts + veggies

Throw in 1/2 cup mixed nuts (about 340 calories) twice somewhere along the line, and maybe another grow shake, and you are going to be in range.

I'm flabbergasted that someone would get 1,400 calories while trying to bulk. I'm doing a very severe fat loss diet and I get 1,600!

1400 cals? Dude that needs to go up...BIG time.

Here's my meal break down:

Meal 1:
10 egg whites
1 cup oatmeal
2 bananas
8 ounces milk
throw it in a blender and drink up
1 multi
1 flax seed oil gel cap

Meal 2:
1 can tuna
1 cup brown rice
1 omega 3 fish oil gel cap

Meal 3:
Pre workout shake

Meal 4:
Post Workout shake

Meal 5:
2 large checken breasts
1 cup corn
1 cup brown rice

Meal 6:
2 large chicken breasts
1 large potato

Meal 7:
10 oz steak
1 large potato
1 salad
2 omega 3 fish oil gel caps

Eat and grow!

I'm 5'4" and 160-165lbs and I'm working on getting a bit leaner while getting bigger and stronger. This is my "dieting" plan and what I'll typically eat:

Meal 1: 4 XL whole eggs with cheese and ham

Meal 2: 12-16oz cottage cheese with blueberries or other fruit

Meal 3: (leftovers from the night before) Pot roast with potatoes and mixed veggies or other leftovers.

Meal 4: 2 scoops Low-Carb Grow! and an apple

WORKOUT

Meal 5: Surge (there's also the possibility I'll have two Surge meals postworkout.)

Meal 6: Chicken, sweet potato, green veggies

Meal 7: 2 scoops Low-Carb Grow! (sometimes I'll add peanut butter or eat almonds with it).

What's different between this and my bulking diet? When bulking, I have cheat meals once or more times a week. They could be all-you-can-eat Sonny's BBQ, a pizza, or hamburger or other foods. I also eat more with the above meals. Either bigger portions, or I add more food to the mix.