T Nation

Bulking & Training Twice a Week

For the past 4 years, I’ve done powerlifting and followed a typical westside style template. 2 upper and 2 lower body days. I recently quit my old gym where I trained 4 days a week and started training at Tampa Barbell.

We do things very differently here. We only train twice a week now and the doors are only open on the those two days.

I wanted to start bulking to put on some more muscle mass and top out my weight class and maybe move into the 220’s. But I have no idea how to eat training only twice a week. Both sessions last about 2-3 hours each.

Suggestions?

2-3 hours each session is fine go work your ass off do an upper and lower then maybe add some conditioning/gpp/recovery at home. If anything the less amount of days in the gm and quality work will aid your bulking. What are the others ddoing? is it working??

Phill

I train with all 275er’s and up. There is one other guy that is a 242er but he knows nothing about nutrition or anything. The other guys don’t really care about getting too much bigger anyway.

Since I’m only training twice a week would calorie and carb cycling be a good idea. Say, 2 High carb days on training days and moderate to low carbs on the other days?

I do have dumbbells up to 25 at my house so I guess I could do some sort of GPP work at home for a third training day a week.

I think I may have figured this one out.

What I’ve been doing is doing is going low carb and moderate carb throughout the week and keeping my calories to around 3000-3500 on off days. I do an all out carb binge and go way up on calories on training days. I am getting on average around 600-800 grams of carbs on training days and getting my calories into the 4500-5000 range.

I’ve also talked with the gym owners and they are doing a secondary session on wednesdays where I do back, biceps, traps and whatever else I want.

So my weekly schedule looks something like this.

Monday: OFF low carb
Tuesday: Bench Day Very High Carb Day
Wednesday: Bench Assistance Moderate Carbs
Thursday: OFF low carb
Friday: OFF low carb
Saturday: Squat Day Very High Carb Day
Sunday: OFF moderate carb

I hope this works.

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
What I’ve been doing is doing is going low carb and moderate carb throughout the week and keeping my calories to around 3000-3500 on off days. I do an all out carb binge and go way up on calories on training days. I am getting on average around 600-800 grams of carbs on training days and getting my calories into the 4500-5000 range.
[/quote]

Excellent plan! That way, you minimize fat gain.

Don’t forget to spread them across 5-6 daily meals.