T Nation

Bulking Shake

Right now I'm just having trouble getting enough calories in. My work/training schedule really only allows for 3 meals per day, so in trying to eat moderately clean, it's tough to get more than say 1500 calories a meal. I can get another 3-400 with my PWO shake, but that still puts me at about maitenence level with my ridiculous metabolism.

What I thought was that I could make a huge shake in the morning, but it in a big jug and sip throughout the day. That way I could probably get another 1000 calories or so throughout the day.

I was thinking some sort of combination of:

Gatorade/Orange Juice/etc.
Whey
Creatine (I figure just throw my 5g's in here...)
Olive Oil
BCAA's

If anybody has any favorites they like or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

One I make has about 800 cals, but you can up that. It is:
2 cups milk(220-250)
2 scoops whey(220)
2 tablespoons PButter(210)
1 cup Dreyer's slow-churned Van. (200)
Sometimes I add flax seeds, for another 60 cals and some fiber. Often I leave out the ice cream, too. It's still a good little 600+ calorie shot there.

add a protein bar in it blended up. that will add another 200+ calories to a shake

This was the shake that AA told me to use when I was bulking. It worked awesome, and tastes excellent as well.

1 Banana
12 oz. Skim Millk
1 cup whole oats
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
2 scoops whey protein
8 oz. yogurt

When I made it, it came to roughly 1000 calories, 100 grams of protein and carbs. It was awesome for bulking. If you search a thread by myself, "Maintaining Calories" you will find some other good bulking tips.

Here's an easy 700 calories for you...

1 banana, 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 cups milk...

It makes about 35 ounces of liquid...which can easily fit in two empty Aquafina water bottles to take with you...although drinking that warm, I might puke...and drinking it in anything less than 5 minutes will result in some serious brain freeze and a really bad feeling in your stomach.

Adding some ice cubes to the blender makes it better...or making it with frozen bananas will work too.

Obviously you could add some peanut butter or something...I bet you won't taste it...the strawberries are really over-powering.

Thanks ,I have been looking for a way to get good carbs in my drinks. 1/2 cup of oatmeal sounds great ! I am going to the health food store today. Hope the oats don't taste nasty in the blender. I never liked the idea of maltodextrin in all the shakes . Might through some old school milk powder in there to .

we've been throught this already :-D:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1069082

it dosent work with that kind of bar. but there are many kinds of bars and it works with plenty

Thanks for the advice guys:

I made this for yesterday when I knew I was going to be at the beach all day and my caloric intake was going to be a little low:

In a half-gallon jug:

-2 sevings strawberry Metabolic Drive
-2 servings Biotest Grow! Whey
-1 32oz gatorade
-Shitload of cold water and ice to fill the jug up.

Not very creative, but the taste was amazing. About 80 grams of protein and 50ish carbs I think. A lot of sugar, but I was playing volleyball all day so I don't mind the carbs, especially while bulking.

I'm going to play around with some of the combinations you guys suggested and see if I can't whip up something I like.

If you're bulking, I would seriously up the calories in that thing. For that half-gallon jug, you're looking at a measly 500 calories or so (assuming the macros you gave are right). That's a lot of space in your stomach for so few calories; in other words, not much "bang for your buck". You're just wasting your time unless you start adding some very calorically dense ingredients.

Just tryin' to help.

Haha, I was waiting for somebody to bring that up.

Indeed, save your protein bars to be consumed in their solid form...

CC,

Yeah, today I went with:

Half of a half gallon (aka a quart) of milk
1 serving strawberry Metabolic Drive
2 servings plain whey
Fill rest with water.

Tasted damn good and that's gotta be pushing 1000 cals if I calculate correctly?

I wouldn't really know the calories, as that will obviously depend on the fat % of milk you used, but, yeah, that's moving in the right direction. Now you can start thinking about heavy cream, oils, etc. to jack it up even more.

(borrowed some ideas from CW)

1 cup of cottage cheese
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup yoghurt
2 cups milk
1 banana
1 tbs peanut butter
2 scoops choc protein

huge cals, and a big meal in itself. Just be sure to blend the milk and oats alone for a bit to break the oats down

Use chocolate milk instead of milk.

More calories.