T Nation

Bulking Question

I am a month into my bulking phase. In that time I gained 7lbs total weight with BF staying about the same range. After the first week of no gains I up’ed my calories. Second and third weeks both showed 3 lbs per week gain. Now on the last weight in I did not gain anything. I am on Waterbury TBT, with Limited cardio. What happened? Should I notch up the calories again? Since I am gaining muscle, my caloric needs also went up on just 7lbs? Also what would be considered the “normal” range on weekly weight gains?

[quote]rwjnyc wrote:
I am a month into my bulking phase. In that time I gained 7lbs total weight with BF staying about the same range. After the first week of no gains I up’ed my calories. Second and third weeks both showed 3lbs per week gain. Now on the last weight in I did not gain anything. I am on Waterbury TBT, with Limited cardio. What happened? Should I notch up the calories again? Since I am gaining muscle, my caloric needs also went up on just 7lbs? Also what would be considered the “normal” range on weekly weight gains?[/quote]

dude…

eat more food…

if you find yourself gaining fat too quickly, cut back a little…

good luck!

Your started in the right direction. More weight gain more food. Alot of people over look the importance of food volume when bulking or in general. I think average weight gains during bulking is around 1-2 lbs per week, but this also varies from person to person as the saying goes. I/m able to gain closer to two pounds per week usually and then it slows down after a bit (my BF content says about the same during this phase). Make sure your on top of your routine and meal plan. I would stress the importance of a pre and post protein supplement as well (if your not already doing this).

I suggest adding additional calories to your diet to keep the mass flowing. As was stated before, watch you BF content. If you starts to go up more than usual, look at you diet for the cause. Search around this site for relavent articles, there more than enought to help.

Keep up the hard work.

This is my favorite article for body composition goals.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=526744

What you need is a food log and a plan. When you read the article it will either strike you as A) Way too simple or B) Way too complex.

The answer is A. Find things you like to eat and that you won’t grow tired of. Put together a daily regimen of food based around your dietary needs that includes these foods. Eat this diet for 2 weeks. What happened? Did you move towards your goal? If yes, continue. If no, what is your goal? You are bulking, so you would increase calories by 250. I would recommend doing this post-workout. Continue for 2 weeks. Repeat. It’s very simple.

It may take some adaptation and hard work to set up this type of regimented diet, but once it’s there, you’re golden. Unless you are a real beginner or a genetic freak, a concrete plan will help you achieve your goals much more quickly and with greater ease than simply “dude you gotta eat more”.