Bulking Over 40

Any advice on how to cram in calories when you’re getting older? I never had a problem when I was younger, but in the past few months I have been struggling to keep my protein and calories where they should be. Tips, tricks, and techniques are all welcome.

I’m not 40 yet, but heading that way.

What are you finding to be the limiter here?

Appetite is slowing down, aren’t able to push through and eat. Maybe it’s just getting older, but I thought I’d ask.

I was curious if it was a digestion issue. That’s my struggle.

I’m big on fat sources, since they’re more calorically dense than protein or carbs. Nut butter and sunflower seed butter, in particular, are a boon, alongside avocados. You can even put sunflower seed butter ON an avocado, which is amazing and mind blowing. Otherwise, those foods enter into a lot of my gaining meals. Great for breakfast burritos, burgers, omelets, etc.

2 Likes

Along with @T3hPwnisher 's great tips, if you’re super struggling, try drinking some of your calories - be smart about it though. A smoothie with either protein powder or egg whites + full fat milk (or coconut milk if no dairy) + nut/seed butter and/or avocado + sweet potato (cooked) or banana and if you really want to pump it up throw some oats (uncooked) in there too. You can pack a lot of punch In a small space and liquids are more easily digested than solids, so it might be a win-win if digestion is an issue.

3 Likes

As an over 40 year old, I would advise against being too aggressive in your bulking. If you put on, say, 30 lbs now, it’s much more likely to cause you problems down the road than it is to satiate a need for enhanced strength at the current moment.

But, I do agree that oats, potatos, avocado, full fat dairy, and other clean sources are how you want to go.

2 Likes

This is a great idea. My go to breakfast is a protein powder, oat and banana (or other fruit) shake.

1 Like

For healthy fats and straight calories, I’ve been taking shots of Olive Oil with meals. 100+ calories per tablespoon, zero chewing and allegedly good for you.

For protein I’ve been having Casein protein shakes at night. It’s an extra chance to get an easy 40-50 grams of slow digesting protein without cooking or any changes to what you’re already doing.

Specifically for bulking I’ve been having some quick digesting carbs right before workouts. Usually cereal or a fruity smoothie with banana. Science says that this timing causes the carbs to go right to the muscles during the workout. If not, at least I’m fueled up for performance and getting a jump on recovery.