T Nation

Bulking or Cutting, Whats Harder?

For me its been bulking. Over the past 2 months I've progressivly added the cals. After an initial growth spurt things have tapered off as expected. Its time to add more calories. I never thought I would ever reach the point of being tired of eating. There have been times where I had to force food down during a meal.

The times when I cut some fat it was real easy. I've never carried anything over 15%. It was just adjust the diet a bit and lean out progressivly. Since this is my first real "bulk" I'm going to do it for a while. Looking in the range of a year. The summer is tough because of golf commitments but now I have a gym membership that is right next to my job and it enables me to work out during my lunch break. This will allow me, for the first time in the past 8 years, to have any work out consistancy during the summer. So hopefully the results will show.

What's been the hardest for everyone else?

Cutting... I only did it to try see if it actually worked :slight_smile: and it did, but the whole "You can't eat this or that" is what pissed me off the most...

Bulking. I don't have the meal timing discipline/preparation to eat quality and quantity for any great amount of time. Lately though, with less daily energy output, the gains have been easier, and the composition of it has been good.

Putting muscle on will be the "hardest" and also take the longest. Anyone can lose body fat. It takes most guys about 4 months to get into contest shape. It may have taken them 10 years to build the mass that allowed them to compete in the first place.

Yeah, gaining muscle for 10 years is harder. I just find, in terms of eating discipline, i think cutting is harder. That is merely because i am a bit of a gluton and quite enjoy my food :)..

Muscle mass wise.. yes.. bulking is a hard, long and tedious process.. but it's worth every minute!

Also, no, you are not alone in getting tired of eating sometimes. The amount of food it takes for me to maintain 265lbs makes eating a real job or else my weight will immediately begin to drop. Imagine what some of these top pros go through. From what I understand, Jay Cutler spends most of his day cooking (as he says he doesn't like to store food for later but likes the taste better "fresh"). For the rest of us with jobs or school, it can be a real hassle. It is actually MUCH easier on me and my wallet to diet.

I think one thing which does help me bulk is my job. It means i need to be disciplined. I have to prepare all my food the night before and then bring it to work. The great thing is, working at a pc all day, that the food gives me a break from just staring at the screen...

I work at a PC all day too but it still takes a great deal of discpline. You see the two turkey burgers. You know if you're not eating you're not growing. You know you should have one in each hand alternating bites but its just a force sometimes.

I find it much easier to "cut." I'm never "cant have that, or that, or that." The junk is just kept in moderation. If you get your requirements the urge isnt there as much to junk out. Also you can keep yourself occupied so you're not thinking about the hunger, if you have any. You cant do that while bulking. You have to eat. I think when people "cut" they set themselves up to fail by being too disciplined. They stress over too many little things and that creates an environment to fail. If people just kept the bad shit in moderation, rather than removing it completely, they would still cut fat and be healthier in the long run because of the lack of stress they put themselves through.

Simple and well put. I had'nt thought about it like that.

Cutting for me. Not harder per se but less enjoyable and more of a committment. Training is hard whatever the diet's like. And who doesnt like to eat? But I am a student and can come back and have meals/snacks whenever I want between classes or while studying. If I was working, I think bulking would be much more of a hassle than it is.

Good point. That's what i did. Moderated the junk. Basically unless i had a massive craving for shite, i'd avoid it :)..

But the lack of energy still remains a problem.. cafeine did help me pre-workout otherwise it would have been a killer..

But yeah, Prof X perfectly outlined why bulking is harder. The main thing is time, you don't cut for 10 years so it's harder to get tired of it.

I agree. But the process is much more enjoyable. Caloric restriction = not fun. I don't mind eating clean and eating a lot though it does get tiresome sometimes and you get to feel like you're force-feeding yourself. I still prefer it to dieting.

How many people even stick with bodybuilding SERIOUSLY for ten years or more non-stop? The actual discipline, attention to detail, sacrifice and motivation it takes to train for a decade or more isn't exactly seen frequently. I haven't taken more than a week off in 10 years. How many people can actually say that? How many people actually work hard and gain over 50lbs of muscle...ever? Both dieting and gaining take discipline, but anyone can cut back on junk food for 4 months. If someone is truly having that hard of a time dieting, they are doing it WRONG. If you are eating every 2 hours and throwing a cheat day or meal once a week, it is not that difficult and gets easier over time.

What is "hard" is contest dieting, but how many people ever even take it to that extreme?

Agreed addin muscle is a bitch. Once youve cut once, this even coming from a former FAT bastard (300lbs of BLUBBER) Losing fat is Simple in comparison to adding quality mass.

The eating Yes gets damn old and can like said above feel like a Job. I have to just let the hell go and take a day or ro of just exsisting from time to time to reset and get ready for MORE damn food. Though I keep it pretty clean.

Been on this I guess what you could call bulking stage for about two years now and honestly dont see it ending for a bit now. Just cut back a little when the fats coming to fast as opposed to muscle but NOT cutting. up about 40 lbs and still going.

Thats my take.
Phill

Well, yes. I would agree that adding serious muscle is much more of a committment than getting lean, barring competition leaness. But for me a more enjoyable and satisfying process.

Are you kidding? Cutting is the hardest. Just look at all the fatties in the gym. They spend their whole life in the bulking phase. The cutting is just too daunting to even attempt.

Or...are you kidding? Gaining is the hardest. Just look at all of the skinny BackStreet Boy wannabe's who can't even bench over 250lbs because their primary concern is whether their abs show on a 150lbs frame.

The majority of the people in the gym are not "bulking" nor are they serious. The majority are simply out of shape weekend warriors who will look exactly the same 2 years from now as they do today.

I've been on a perpetual bulk for the last couple years, and haven't cut yet. But I would imagine cutting is easy, considering it may take years to put lean mass on, but a typical cut only lasts a few months.

I guess we would have to define bulking as adding more muscle than fat, or 98% of the world would agree that bulking is a piece of cake.

The best was yesterday. These 3 guys were doing leg scissors for 10 minutes (literally) followed by seizure type jumping rope while one was going the smallest movement swiss ball crunches I have ever seen. Quite comical and sad at the same time.