Bulking on an Extremely Tight Budget

Basically, I'm super poor atm and can't afford the quality food I'd like to have for my upcoming november to march bulk. What type of extremely cheap foods would be decent to eat for a semi-clean bulk(cutting isn't an issue at all for me). I'm thinking LOADS of peanut butter sandwiches and oatmeal/eggs. I'm not quite sure what foods to get.

Also, I'm going to get some of the Biotest products from TMUSCLE because their pretty cheap, I'm thinking I'll get the L-Leucine (sp?) to add to my food(since it will be lower quality foods), the creatine powder, and some protein powder. If theres anything else you'd recommend that isn't going to make my wallet shrink to much I'd appreciate some info.

What’s your weekly food budget that you’re working with?

Muesli :slight_smile:

If you are truly that broke, why would you focus on SUPPLEMENTS?

milk,a lot of it…mix it with eggs and peanut butter,MIXXXX,…and you got yourself a great meal
for 750ml of milk and 5eggs and some honey there are like 1100 calories…

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
What’s your weekly food budget that you’re working with?[/quote]

I don’t really have an exact amount. I’m 17 and still living with my parents, dad just lost his job so the amount of money my parents are spending on food is going to be cut by quite abit. I get paid about $170 a month from my one weekends a month for the ANG. So I pretty much have 170 to buy suppliments and whatever foods are important that my parents don’t have the cash for.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
If you are truly that broke, why would you focus on SUPPLEMENTS?[/quote]

I’m not haha, I said I was going to get leucine because I’m told it helps your body use protein. And the creatine is super cheap from Biotest, the protein is a given. I’m not focusing on them at all, I just asked if there was anything that would help in particular. But I probably cant afford anything else.

[quote]Imsonoob wrote:
So I pretty much have 170 to buy suppliments and whatever foods are important that my parents don’t have the cash for.[/quote]

Don’t waste your money on supps (well not at this point). Have you ever heard about

SQUATS AND MILK??

Lots of milk, whey and eggs.

[quote]Imsonoob wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

I don’t really have an exact amount. I’m 17 and still living with my parents, dad just lost his job so the amount of money my parents are spending on food is going to be cut by quite abit. I get paid about $170 a month from my one weekends a month for the ANG. So I pretty much have 170 to buy suppliments and whatever foods are important that my parents don’t have the cash for.[/quote]

Gee, that is more money to play with than I had in college. Yeah, real poor. I didn’t buy much in the way of supplements back then because I couldn’t afford it.

Tell me again why you think your focus needs to be on supplements and not simply tons of food you can afford?

[quote]Imsonoob wrote:
Professor X wrote:
If you are truly that broke, why would you focus on SUPPLEMENTS?

I’m not haha, I said I was going to get leucine because I’m told it helps your body use protein. And the creatine is super cheap from Biotest, the protein is a given. I’m not focusing on them at all, I just asked if there was anything that would help in particular. But I probably cant afford anything else. [/quote]

Creatine is cheap. However, again, that pic I posted before at about 210lbs was without much in the way of supplements except for maybe creatine and some cheap protein powder. I think the only thing I have consistently bought over the years is a pre-workout stimulant of some sort from several different companies.

Real lifters don’t go to GNC. Real lifters know GNC rips you off.

Corned beef hash.

ground beef, peanut butter, eggs, cottage cheese…all can be bought for cheap at costco.

Hey Cart…your Horse is back there!!!

Eggs, Milk, Meat

Oats, Rice, Beans

All and all pretty cheap and I can get bulk ground beef for like $1.68lb…granted it probably barely qualifies for “ground beef” but it’s protein, fat, and calories.

You can buy beans in bulk and boil them yourself for hours and use them as carb course for months! Rice and oats are also cheap in bulk. Eggs are under $1 a dz in my neck of the woods.

Eat…Food…Lots…Of…It

Actually the ground beef you can get for something like $1.70/lb at costco is around 12%. That’s definitely decent…cook up a bunch in a big pan then throw it all in a big strainer and run it under hot water to get out extra fat if you so desire. Bargain mass amounts of quality protein/cals.

As said before, rice, beans, eggs, and milk are all very cheap sources of calories and protein. You could drink a half gallon of milk a day, 6 eggs, 1 lb of cheap ground beef, 2 cans of kidney beans, and 6 cups of cooked rice as a damn good bulking diet for very little money. Buy some veggies/more meat with whatever you had left over for supplements. It will work better.

as thephantom mentioned. That’s pretty much my diet ,Big bags of white rice are cheap as hell. Potatoes to.(sweet and red/white)

Milk, eggs, ground beef (scope out stores at the end of the day, fuck just call up krogers or whatever chain stores you have in your area ask em if they have any discounted meat (stuff that’s expiring the next day)

I shit you not the other day I bought over 10-15 lbs of ground sirloin for 2 bucks a lb!! Froze some and cooked a couple lbs.

Why the hell are you going to buy Leucine? All you need is a cheap protein powder at the most and like prof x mentioned maybe a pre-wo stimulant of some sort (or just buy caffeine pills). Creatine is cheap (what like 10 bucks for some)

Always buy the store brand product. I love krogers cause they show you the exact cost per oz/unit vs. other brands on most of the products. To help people save money.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Imsonoob wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

I don’t really have an exact amount. I’m 17 and still living with my parents, dad just lost his job so the amount of money my parents are spending on food is going to be cut by quite abit. I get paid about $170 a month from my one weekends a month for the ANG. So I pretty much have 170 to buy suppliments and whatever foods are important that my parents don’t have the cash for.

Gee, that is more money to play with than I had in college. Yeah, real poor. [/quote] ← I was thinking the same thing. Poor!?

-Ground Beef
-Milk (I don’t tolerate it too well, but many don’t have an issue with it… Some brands seem to be a lot worse than others, hormone pollution or something like that? No idea… )
-Oats (grind to a fine dust/powder and add to your shakes or to your milk for added carbs)
-Pizza, if you find a good brand/kind…
-Cottage cheese and curd, although I don’t know what the price is for that stuff outside of Germany. You can get it dirt-cheap here. The less fat it contains, the more difficult it is to get down though. Lots of easy ways to make it more tasty… Add choc powder or a little milk or whatever.
-Mozarella, nice protein+fat source. I like mozarella + tomatoes + olive oil, but I’m also a closet italian.
-Pasta (in combination with cottage cheese or curd for example as a nice protein + carb meal…)
-Canned tuna… Some complaints about mercury traces or whatever, I’ve never used it. Your call.
-Add some fruit/vegetables to the mix from whatever money you have left.
-Rice (with the right seasoning/salt combo, I used to eat good old uncle ben’s 10 minute rice, add butter so it won’t be so dry, and then eat some curd or whatever to add protein. Don’t let it cook for too long, it’s better if it’s not soft/squishy… Can’t eat much of it per meal, otherwise. Same goes for pasta.
-I hate to say it, because I’m no fan of burgers and co (just personal preference, I never liked Mc D’s etc), but: McDonalds, KFC, whatever. If you need the cals cheap, well, there you go.

List could go on and on…

In terms of protein, really cheap sources are milk, eggs, cheap whey (think costco, don’t be picky), canned tuna, ground beef. Also, keep an eye out at the meat sexy for an unsexy chicken cut like thighs, in the clearance bin.

In the US, cottage cheese is pretty expensive (per gram protein). As is steak, salmon, etc.

And if you buy just a big pack in bulk, rice, beans, and oats are hella cheap on the carb side.

And peanut butter is good.

I really don’t see how that isn’t enough money considering your circumstances?

Surely your parents will be buying things like eggs, milk, and some form of meat, you just need to get some extra.

I spend about $320/month on food, but I’m also over 100 lbs heavier than you and don’t get to raid my parents refrigerator either. I really think you have plenty of money to eat the way you need to.