Bulking... Nightime Snack

Im currently bulking, to start off with. I’ve read the whole “wake up at night to drink a protein shake” and the whole “sleep is better than those few extra calories.”

I don’t plan on waking up in the middle of the night to make the shake due to the fact that im in high school and being tired throughout the day isnt exactly seldom.

My question is: What would be a good snack to eat at night before I go to bed? Right now i’m drinking about 16 oz of milk which gets me 240 calories and 16g protein.

I’ve already read the bulking tips for newbies, also.

Grow! protein.

[quote]JVall wrote:
Grow! protein.[/quote]

with olive oil. Doesn’t fuck up the taste, and will make the casein slower. Also, if you can’t afford the supps, protein and some whole milk.

Jason

I mix a cup of Low-Carb Grow! with a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese in a bowl, with a little milk (actually Hood 2% low-carb “dairy beverage”) to thin it out. Makes a nice bed-time snack that will take hours to digest.

I’ve found peanut butter is one of the best bulking food. It is high in protien, high in calories. Two peices of whole grain toast with a thick layer of peanut butter, a glass of milk and a banana, will give you as much protien, nutrients and calories than most weight gain shakes.

Two Scoops Low-Carb Grow! and a 1/4 or so off nuts usually walnuts or almonds. Add in a tsp of Guar gum for fiber to further slow digestion and You got a healthy dose of Good Fats and Pro. to last all night.

The gum also makes this like a THICK cements bring on the spoon.

mix together:
Cottage cheese
almonds
rasberries/blueberries

Or Berardi’s pre-bedtime formula:

yogurt
Grow powder
banana

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
I’ve found peanut butter is one of the best bulking food. It is high in protien, high in calories. Two peices of whole grain toast with a thick layer of peanut butter, a glass of milk and a banana, will give you as much protien, nutrients and calories than most weight gain shakes.[/quote]

My vote goes to this because it is very effective, nutritious, and cheap. Good answer combatmedic

I have a piece of pumpkin pie…

but thats just me.

I drink about a pint of milk and a yogurt before going to bed. If, like me, you only have time to train later trought the day, say at 8.00 pm, before going to bed i’d suggest getting some creatine with the milk (Lactose). 4 grams suffice, 3 gram will probably do the job too. I’ve found that I recover well when I do take some creatine. Its probably one of the cheapest supplements out there regarding the price. Just buy a 100% micronized creatine monohydrate powder and check out the creapure logo.

stay strong

My pre-bedtime meal usually consists of 16oz skim milk, 20g egg protein, 20g whey, and 3 tbsp of peanut butter…this equates to roughly 70g protein, which is plenty to stave off catabolism…not to mention it tastes fantastic!

MK

Why are you guys adding carbs into the mix for a pre-bedtime meal when insulin sensitivity is the lowest. Go with Fats and protein…
I mix peanut butter, protein powder, and splenda in a few oz of water and freeze it for 5-6 hours. Then I eat it before bed. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
Why are you guys adding carbs into the mix for a pre-bedtime meal when insulin sensitivity is the lowest. Go with Fats and protein…
I mix peanut butter, protein powder, and splenda in a few oz of water and freeze it for 5-6 hours. Then I eat it before bed. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM![/quote]

Adding carbs before bed can aid in going to sleep.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:
I mix peanut butter, protein powder, and splenda in a few oz of water and freeze it for 5-6 hours. Then I eat it before bed. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Adding carbs before bed can aid in going to sleep.[/quote]

Agreed. But it’s not quite ideal for body composition.

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Proteinpowda wrote:

Adding carbs before bed can aid in going to sleep.

Agreed. But it’s not quite ideal for body composition. [/quote]

It is if your goal is mass and your routine is rigorous.

3/4 cup yougert
1 scoop protein powder
140g Blueberries
'nuff said

For me? Well because it comes down to cals in vs cals out and adding carbs is more cals in :wink:

WEll it’s 3am and I just finished a protein shake, I have 3/4lb of ground beef on the George Forman, and all this talk of yogurt is makeing me hungry. Damn, I have issues…

Joe

My bedtime snack consists of ~30 gr of casein, milled flax- and sesame seeds, a handful of almonds or hazelnuts, and usually a fruit of some kind, usually an apple or a pear. If I’m trying to gain weight I might eat a couple of slices of whole-grain bread with peanut butter as a replacement for the nuts or the fruit.