Bulking/Lean Bulk Diet

Hi All, as per the Header I am looking to add some weight. ideally as much lean muscle as possible but I don’t mind some fat gain.
I am 6’ tall and about 172lbs so really need to gain a good bit.

I am currently following a Starting Strength routine and making some good progress.
However I want to make sure my diet is good so I will put on some mass. This is what it looks like at the moment:

5am - Cup of oatmeal with milk + 4 eggs
I take a multi vitamin and fish oil
6:30 - Gym
7:30 - PWO shake, oats and whey with some maltodexterin.
9:30 - Another bowl of oats with milk
12:30 - 2 chicken breasts with about 150g mixed veg
18:00 - Dinner - Meat(Beef/Pork/Chicken/Fish) and veg similar portions to 12:30 or a bit more
21:00 - Tin of Tuna and veg or a whey shake made with 500ml of milk.
I also eat about 50g of nuts during the day and 2/3 pieces of fruit.

I have noticed some gains in the past weeks, and none of my lifts have suffered.
Is there anything I should add to this to help keep me progressing ?
Is there anything I should cut out ?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Looks a bit low on calories, but it all depends on your meal sizes, dont be afraid to add things like sweet potatoes or other root vegetables for extra carbs/calories particularly on training days. Looks good and clean otherwise…

Aside from the eggs and vish oil, where’s the fat? Try adding some oils, like extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil or macadamia nut oil. Some nuts are also a good option (especially for micronutrients and fiber).

bimmerczech - Would it be enough to add Olive oil to the main meals and up the nut intake during the day. I’m currently eating 50g (peanut+walnuts) during the day, should I double this maybe, would be easily done

make a food log.

that’ll be a good start; you’d be surprised how much/little we eat.

fish oil in the evening so that you don’t use those fats for energy.

it doesn’t matter when you take fish oil. that’s just more minutia that you don’t need to worry about. why would fish oil taken in the morning not provide the same benefits (increased insulin sensitivity, joint health, heart health, etc.) as if you took it in the evening? what else would it be used for besides energy? it’s a fatty acid therefore it’s a source of “energy” no matter what.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
it doesn’t matter when you take fish oil. that’s just more minutia that you don’t need to worry about. why would fish oil taken in the morning not provide the same benefits (increased insulin sensitivity, joint health, heart health, etc.) as if you took it in the evening? [/quote]

correct

the only reason that I sometimes like to take them in the evening before bed is to add to the slowing down of digestion of my pre-bed shake

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
cpcloud wrote:
it doesn’t matter when you take fish oil. that’s just more minutia that you don’t need to worry about. why would fish oil taken in the morning not provide the same benefits (increased insulin sensitivity, joint health, heart health, etc.) as if you took it in the evening?

correct

the only reason that I sometimes like to take them in the evening before bed is to add to the slowing down of digestion of my pre-bed shake[/quote]

You don’t get any of the omega-3 brain buzz? TC mentioned this awhile ago(somewhere)and on my workout days my second serving of Flameout is with my last meal before bed and I usually have a harder time falling asleep. My thought process seems to spark a bit and all of the sudden I’m pondering the universe.

OP:
I’m guessing you need a lot more food that that to continue growth. Check out JB’s Massive Eating on this site.

Should I ad some more food then during the day?
I can add a small meal about 3pm was thinking tuna/other fish along with veg.
Should I also add something at 9am ?

You have a long break between your chicken at lunch and your meal at dinner - you could easily whack in another meal at around 4pm. Easy way to add the calories and keep the metabolism ticking over.

Good luck!

Thanks for the comments so far.
I put my daily diet onto fitday and came up with the following
3663 Calories
37% Fat
33% Carbs
30% Protein.
Is this a good breakdown for a day ?
Or should the percentages be different ?

anyone who gets up at 5 in the morning to lift weights is a retarded piece of shit

[quote]ois297 wrote:
anyone who gets up at 5 in the morning to lift weights is a retarded piece of shit[/quote]

LOL. Why?

hey i need ALOT of help, im a beginner. I have a passion now that i have started for the last 6 months, but i dont think im building up as much muscle as i desire, im going to go on deca 300.

should i take anything with the deca 300
and also, whats a good diet plan.

this is my body currently

i am not happy with my physique at the moment.

this is what i want to achieve.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/842/29687baroniio1.jpg

how long do you think it will take me to get that. and any additional information about dieting, protein, or anything i need to know about?

i know im asking alot, but i want to indulge in as much information as possible, i used to be 120 kilograms, and now that i have lost the weight, and started out, i want to achieve what i used to dream of.

Thank you for all your advice in advance

[quote]thebeginner wrote:
hey i need ALOT of help, im a beginner. I have a passion now that i have started for the last 6 months, but i dont think im building up as much muscle as i desire, im going to go on deca 300.

should i take anything with the deca 300
and also, whats a good diet plan.

this is my body currently

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4138/22ai6.jpg

i am not happy with my physique at the moment.

this is what i want to achieve.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/842/29687baroniio1.jpg

how long do you think it will take me to get that. and any additional information about dieting, protein, or anything i need to know about?

i know im asking alot, but i want to indulge in as much information as possible, i used to be 120 kilograms, and now that i have lost the weight, and started out, i want to achieve what i used to dream of.

Thank you for all your advice in advance

[/quote]

Worst

Hijack

Ever

[quote]ois297 wrote:
anyone who gets up at 5 in the morning to lift weights is a retarded piece of shit[/quote]

Don’t really have a choice in the matter :slight_smile:
I start work at 8am and it is an hour drive in the morning. The gym is crazy busy after work so i head in at 6:30 til 7:30 then walk across to work.
Its hard to get upp at the hour, but i want to be stronger and bigger so has to be done.

Anyone anymore comments on the diet ?

[quote]ois297 wrote:

You’re a retarded piece of shit.

Some people don’t have any other time to do it, I applaud those who can get up early and get the job done.

[quote]will56 wrote:
ois297 wrote:
anyone who gets up at 5 in the morning to lift weights is a retarded piece of shit

Don’t really have a choice in the matter :slight_smile:
I start work at 8am and it is an hour drive in the morning. The gym is crazy busy after work so i head in at 6:30 til 7:30 then walk across to work.
Its hard to get upp at the hour, but i want to be stronger and bigger so has to be done.

Anyone anymore comments on the diet ?
[/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_bulkers

Have a look there for ideas as to how much people are actually eating.

I think you’re short on calories and protein.

[quote]will56 wrote:
Thanks for the comments so far.
I put my daily diet onto fitday and came up with the following
3663 Calories
37% Fat
33% Carbs
30% Protein.
Is this a good breakdown for a day ?
Or should the percentages be different ?
[/quote]

Seeing what you wrote on your 1st post, I really dont see how you can add up to 3663 calories and 37% fat… as your fat intake is clearly lacking if it comes only from 50g of nuts, and the meat at the diner (mainly)…

37% of 3663 = ~1355cals from fat = 156g of fat
33% of 3663 = 1209 = 302g of carbs
30% of 3663 = 1099 = 275g of prot

I personally think you should up the fat (and I dont think its at 156g of fat like i said), down the carb, and up the prot at 2g/lb, but… thats just me…

Also, natural pb is your friend, along with olive oil as stated before