Bulking How Its Done

I hate where this thread has gone. There was a brief hiatus from the drama and then right back to it. I do agree: Why is it necessary to try and have everyone take sides? Why is anyone even still arguing about the bulk/lean gain topic? Why does everyone keep trying to use Bauber to make their argument for them?

Why does X always have to post pictures of himself in every thread as if people haven’t already seen them all? Just some questions that I wish I had the answers to. For the record, I hope X never gets his claws into Bauber. It would be unfortunate if we all lost another great poster to the likes of X. I know this will get me a bunch of heat from some, but I’m just giving my opinion.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
I am still finding new bumps here and there haha. [/quote]
You might want to have that looked at[/quote]

Maybe I am turning into deadpool?

I do have one question though. Of all the guys on T-Nation, which group has gotten bigger/gained more muscle? Was it the constantly lean guys, or those that got a little sloppy here and there then cut?

I read some of the stickies, and one that stuck out was the one that was about Dave.

How do you plan on quantifying this?

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
How do you plan on quantifying this?[/quote]

LMFAO.

This whole “us vs them” thing has just become comical.

Look, contest lean, 10%, 15%, 20%, whatthefuckever%.

When a dude walks into the room, you either say “That’s a big motherfucker” or, you don’t.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

When a dude walks into the room, you either say “That’s a big motherfucker” or, you don’t.[/quote]

Yeah I wasn’t shooting for the whole “us vs them” thing.

Example: Sloh

He made a ton of progress. He got a little puffy then cut up.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

When a dude walks into the room, you either say “That’s a big motherfucker” or, you don’t.[/quote]

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/slohs_3_year_offseason_125_to_200_lbs[/quote]

Oh, yeah, I remember Sloh’s thread— that dude KICKED ASS.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

Oh, yeah, I remember Sloh’s thread— that dude KICKED ASS.[/quote]

What happened to that sticky that Mr. Pop had?

It has all of the best info in it. I read that stuff over and over for motivation and small tips when I first started. It had great stuff in it from guys you just don’t see on here anymore.

It had like, “how the biggest became the biggest” and the bodybuilding bible, and all that stuff.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

It has all of the best info in it. I read that stuff over and over for motivation and small tips when I first started. It had great stuff in it from guys you just don’t see on here anymore.

It had like, “how the biggest became the biggest” and the bodybuilding bible, and all that stuff.[/quote]
you made great progress man.

I think in the future you won’t bulk up as fast. At least that’s my opinion after I started losing fat from the first bulk. Coming from a starting point of 130 lbs or whatever lets us get away with a good amount of fat gain along with the noob muscle gains.

[quote]trivium wrote:
I got frustrated so I said i would gain up to 190 and then cut. I didnt care if my gains were 50% fat. I just wanted to be bigger, and to be stronger.

[…]

I would go to steak n’ shake and count the meals/shakes I would eat like reps (I got up to 4 plates and 2 ultimate banana shakes at one point haha). I would just try to get another rep next time.

PR on the bar, PR on the scale, PR at wing night, sleep, repeat.[/quote]

So, would you say “don’t do what I did”? And what would you do different?

I ask because I’m currently back up to 145 after losing all my gains due to getting sick. Depression took me from 135->120. Milk got me back from 120->135, then I started lifting, went from 135->158, got sick and dropped to 135 again, and now working on recovering my losses.

My diet both then and now consists of a good amount of milk and eggs. I was also using malts from Dairy Queen and shakes from McDonalds; things are a bit different now, but that’s still probably a good example of how I’ve “supplemented” my regular eating to get the scale moving.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

It had like, “how the biggest became the biggest” and the bodybuilding bible, and all that stuff.[/quote]
you made great progress man.

I think in the future you won’t bulk up as fast. At least that’s my opinion after I started losing fat from the first bulk. Coming from a starting point of 130 lbs or whatever lets us get away with a good amount of fat gain along with the noob muscle gains.[/quote]

I think I will shoot for another 40 lb gain when I’m done with my first cut. I dont believe I will slow down until I get to around 170 lbs of lean body mass. Then I’ll hold it for another 8 months and cut again. Hopefully I keep my strength in the process though. That is the real reason I lift.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

Agreed…and your question posed is actually a good one.

It would be nice if that were actually discussed without the fighting.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

Why do you quote me and say this it was not my idea?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

I truly believe this is what its all about: 2 steps forward, 1 step back

Also increments, if you set a target weight thats 30 lbs away and eat sloppy to get there, your composition will suffer more so than compared to a target that is 10 lbs away, hell sometimes even 5 lbs seems so far away.

Besides taking a brief respite from big eating helps you cleanse, when I gain weight my carb intake is huge and my fat intake isn’t as clean, I can only handle several weeks worth of eating big before my blood feels thick and my energy levels dip. Keeping it clean, and bringing back in those vegetables you didnt have stomach space for, even for just a week can fix up your anti-oxidants, lower cholesterol, and keep insulin sensitivity high, all while ensuring your body comp stays tight.

And this is true even for people who don’t have aspirations of breaking 300lbs, even smaller mesomorphs with fast metabolisms and little frames will still be scraping for single pounds once you fill out around the upper 100’s. Albeit diet vs body comp is much more forgiving on us meso’s; I’m rarely in double digit body fat.

To digress a bit, I think the past few decades have taught many people to vilify food. What could be refered to as good ol’ home cooking is considered by most people to be junk. Everyone was trying to find reasons for people getting fat, people demonized fats, first trans fat, then saturated fat, then processed carbs, then any carbs at all, and now the scrutiny falls on the industrialized modes of food production so people are frightened of all HFCS and thinks like that ‘pink slime’ farce. But more than anything else the office is whats making people fat, the food not so much, especially considering that highly active individuals have a different set of rules than the sedentary. Its all about bodily flux.

Of course I’m not trying to disregard the past few decades of scientific enlightenment. We DO understand more about bodily assimilation of nutrients and their systemic impacts and we DO have years worth of statistics to draw upon for long term indications of dietary problems, but you aren’t about to feed the world with organic farms, not happening. I prefer realistic over optimal.

Besides I’m sure plenty of us have been scolded that what we are doing is not healthy. I would disagree but in a sense thats not a false statement depending on how you define health. We aren’t about to outlast that rural chinese woman who has been living on soybeans and rice for the last 100 years. We chug preworkout and push heavy weights around. We willingly engage in activities that are inherently dangerous, that wear out our joints and ligaments and stress our hearts and veinous systems. AAS has the risk of cardiac hypertrophy and some are even initiators of certain types of cancer, although the health risks of AAS aren’t exactly contended.

But hey the star that burns twice as bright burns half as long, yeah?

To sum up, I suppose if its a personal preference to stay lean thats ok, but I think too many people are afraid to eat what they need to actually get where they want, especially if they are being steered away from that approach by research and citations intended for experienced professional competitors.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

[/quote]

THAT’S A HUGE BITCH!

[quote]c.m.l. wrote:

I truly believe this is what its all about: 2 steps forward, 1 step back

Also increments, if you set a target weight thats 30 lbs away and eat sloppy to get there, your composition will suffer more so than compared to a target that is 10 lbs away, hell sometimes even 5 lbs seems so far away.

Besides taking a brief respite from big eating helps you cleanse, when I gain weight my carb intake is huge and my fat intake isn’t as clean, I can only handle several weeks worth of eating big before my blood feels thick and my energy levels dip. Keeping it clean, and bringing back in those vegetables you didnt have stomach space for, even for just a week can fix up your anti-oxidants, lower cholesterol, and keep insulin sensitivity high, all while ensuring your body comp stays tight.

And this is true even for people who don’t have aspirations of breaking 300lbs, even smaller mesomorphs with fast metabolisms and little frames will still be scraping for single pounds once you fill out around the upper 100’s. Albeit diet vs body comp is much more forgiving on us meso’s; I’m rarely in double digit body fat.

To digress a bit, I think the past few decades have taught many people to vilify food. What could be refered to as good ol’ home cooking is considered by most people to be junk. Everyone was trying to find reasons for people getting fat, people demonized fats, first trans fat, then saturated fat, then processed carbs, then any carbs at all, and now the scrutiny falls on the industrialized modes of food production so people are frightened of all HFCS and thinks like that ‘pink slime’ farce. But more than anything else the office is whats making people fat, the food not so much, especially considering that highly active individuals have a different set of rules than the sedentary. Its all about bodily flux.

Of course I’m not trying to disregard the past few decades of scientific enlightenment. We DO understand more about bodily assimilation of nutrients and their systemic impacts and we DO have years worth of statistics to draw upon for long term indications of dietary problems, but you aren’t about to feed the world with organic farms, not happening. I prefer realistic over optimal.

Besides I’m sure plenty of us have been scolded that what we are doing is not healthy. I would disagree but in a sense thats not a false statement depending on how you define health. We aren’t about to outlast that rural chinese woman who has been living on soybeans and rice for the last 100 years. We chug preworkout and push heavy weights around. We willingly engage in activities that are inherently dangerous, that wear out our joints and ligaments and stress our hearts and veinous systems. AAS has the risk of cardiac hypertrophy and some are even initiators of certain types of cancer, although the health risks of AAS aren’t exactly contended.

But hey the star that burns twice as bright burns half as long, yeah?

To sum up, I suppose if its a personal preference to stay lean thats ok, but I think too many people are afraid to eat what they need to actually get where they want, especially if they are being steered away from that approach by research and citations intended for experienced professional competitors.[/quote]

A men.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
I got frustrated so I said i would gain up to 190 and then cut. I didnt care if my gains were 50% fat. I just wanted to be bigger, and to be stronger.

[…]

I would go to steak n’ shake and count the meals/shakes I would eat like reps (I got up to 4 plates and 2 ultimate banana shakes at one point haha). I would just try to get another rep next time.

PR on the bar, PR on the scale, PR at wing night, sleep, repeat.[/quote]

So, would you say “don’t do what I did”? And what would you do different?

I ask because I’m currently back up to 145 after losing all my gains due to getting sick. Depression took me from 135->120. Milk got me back from 120->135, then I started lifting, went from 135->158, got sick and dropped to 135 again, and now working on recovering my losses.

My diet both then and now consists of a good amount of milk and eggs. I was also using malts from Dairy Queen and shakes from McDonalds; things are a bit different now, but that’s still probably a good example of how I’ve “supplemented” my regular eating to get the scale moving.[/quote]

Ill answer this tomorrow. I dont think you are in an optimal place to go on an eating tear. I say this because I believe that when you are lighter you must slam more quality food than a heavier guy has to.

Here is what you are to do.

Step 1.

Pick a lifting system that you believe will work and will show constant strength progression for the next year. It should have intensity AND volume written into it. Train all muscle groups.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

LMFAO.

Agreed…and your question posed is actually a good one.

It would be nice if that were actually discussed without the fighting.[/quote]

I wish we could do an accurate retrospective case study on here. Just for the shiz and giggle-ies.