Bulking - Home Made Shakes

Hey guys/gals,

I’m a 21 y/o male, currently weighing in at 185 with 8% BF. I’m a self confessed ectomorph, my entire family has the same body type - thin, tall, and lanky.

Anyways, long story short - about 6 months ago I began to work out and bulk up religiously, using this site and it’s members as my inspiration. I went from 150 to 185 in this time frame, and I’m very happy with the results.

I started off buying mass quantities of weight gain powders and while they did work, I read a lot of negative posts on these forums about them. So I started to make my own shakes using real food from home.

My only concern is that perhaps I’m not balancing these shakes nutritionally, I don’t have time to eat meals every 2-3 hours since I am VERY busy with school and work.

Here’s the breakdown:

Carbs: 160g
Calories: 2400
Fat: 121g
Sodium: 1390mg
Sugar: 60g
Protein: 117g

The shakes are made of:

Four 1/3 cups of oatmeal
6 tbsp organic peanut butter
6 tbsp egg white
2 raw eggs
5 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1L of 1% milk
1 whole banana
Little bit of chocolate sauce

I’m mostly concerned with the fat content, although 80% of the fats in that 121g are poly and mono saturated fats, am I getting too much fat in my diet? I’ve read some seriously conflicting articles regarding fat intake, I’d say I probably eat around 200g of fat a day.

Any suggestions/comments at all? Is my heart going to fail by the time I turn 25 if I continue eating the way I do??

Its not the balance of one or a few meals its the whole of the day and even then not a day but weeks. They look fine if they are working just try and balance things out with he other food meals

Phill

This is a minor detail but your body doesn’t absorb raw egg protein very well. Try some whey.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
This is a minor detail but your body doesn’t absorb raw egg protein very well. Try some whey. [/quote]

Also, drop the canola oil in place of olive oil and possible a little coconut oil.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Brant_Drake wrote:
This is a minor detail but your body doesn’t absorb raw egg protein very well. Try some whey.

Also, drop the canola oil in place of olive oil and possible a little coconut oil.[/quote]

Brant: Noted. I’ll have to add some Whey into the mix. Thanks, no details are too minor to me!

Chris, how come you recommend switching from canola to olive/coconut oil? Honestly the canola was the ingredient that had me concerned the most, since those 5 tbsps add 55g of fat to my shake. I’ll gladly substitute it out if it’s better for me.

You’re eating shakes all day? Can’t you make some chicken, beef and pork and rice, put it in the fridge and eat it for the next few days? There are these things called microwaves. They heat up food. There’s also these things called sandwiches. There’s meat in the middle, between two slices of bread.

Strike the oatmeal and put in yogurt.
Add walnuts - one cup a day
Grow! Whey. Eat your eggs cooked, separately. Also, between two slices of bread.
1 C cottage cheese

[quote]IronLife wrote:

Chris, how come you recommend switching from canola to olive/coconut oil? Honestly the canola was the ingredient that had me concerned the most, since those 5 tbsps add 55g of fat to my shake. I’ll gladly substitute it out if it’s better for me.

[/quote]

They have a better fatty acid profile.

I wouldn’t add canola oil to anything as I, like most people, already get ample omega 6 fatty acids.

Shakes all day = runs/ feelign sick. trust me that was my day yesterday.

You should try setting aside 3 hours, twice a week just too cook insane amounts of food so you have some ready for whenever you need it.

just a thought,

glen

Thanks for all the input guys!
I’m definitely not just drinking shakes all day, that would grow tiresome very quickly, I usually eat around 4000 cal/day. Half of which is normally my shakes, I can take them to work and school and when I get a chance I always eat “real” food.

I’m gonna look into walnuts and replacing the oatmeal with yogurt, hopefully it won’t give me insane diarrhea since I’m partially lactose intolerant.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460364

Protein Shake Recipes

BaseMix

24 ounces of whole milk
3 scoops chocolate Metabolic Drive or protein powder

Mr.PeanutButter

To the base, add
1/2 pint of Breyer’s Chocolate Ice Cream
2 tablespoons of Peter Pan peanut butter
Blend and drink

MintyGoodness

To the base, add
1/2 pint Breyer’s Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Blend and chug, trying to get those anabolic chocolate pieces into your mouth without having to dig them out with a spoon.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Strike the oatmeal and put in yogurt.
[/quote]

Can you explain why?