Bulking for Sports and Physique

Right now I’m a high school senior and 5’10 170 and my goal is to gain 10 to 15 pounds of muscle by the summer because I will be playing rugby in college next year. While I’m a pretty good size for my position (flanker) in high school at the college level flankers are usually at least 185. Anyways if I werent training for sports I would try to cut but since I’m trying to gain weight I cant do that but I have a few physique related questions.

What diets are out there that would allow me to bulk as cleanly as possible? I gained 20 pounds since last year of both fat and muscle and I’d like to be cleaner when I gain weight this off season (I’m playing football right now). The other issue I have with my physique is that my right pec isnt very defined at all even compared to my left one. What I’m trying to figure out is whether this is a body fat issue or just something I shouldnt worry about that will go away as I get bigger.

I had the same problem last year at 150 and I dont think it has gotten better, but at the same time it could just be something I shouldnt worry about that has to do with me being small rather than body fat percentage. Anyways I’m going to include a picture so you guys know where I’m at and hopefully can give me some tips on improving my physique while bulking.

If you want to play rugby, squats,deadlifts, cleans, bench presses, presses, rowing and pull ups are all you need for a really long time.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
If you want to play rugby, squats,deadlifts, cleans, bench presses, presses, rowing and pull ups are all you need for a really long time.[/quote]

in the whole yes, but don’t forget to curl, train your neck, calves. They are important and functional too.

[quote]dk6666 wrote:
What diets are out there that would allow me to bulk as cleanly as possible? I gained 20 pounds since last year of both fat and muscle and I’d like to be cleaner when I gain weight this off season (I’m playing football right now).[/quote]
This article has some great ideas for improving your overall nutrition:

Three good meals and some snacks everyday, plus a good workout shake. It’s a basic plan, but it works just fine.

At your age and size, this is totally not an issue to waste energy thinking about. You’re fine. Even based on your picture, it’s not a major deal.

Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards was specifically made to add quality size on high school and college athletes. Check it out:

Dan John’s Mass Made Simple would be another kind of size plan. Dan has a ton of experience working with younger athletes: