T Nation

Bulking For Chubby Guys

I know I could search the archives (and the whole internet) for this, but I am wondering what tips people have for those who either used to be chubby or are predisposed to getting chubby, who want to bulk up. Basically, I have always had a much easier time gaining muscle than loosing fat, and while I have managed to bulk from 175 to 200 without gaining much fat, I am now at 205, and it seems like the last five pounds have been pure fat (this also is probably related to my lack of sleep and shitty-ass training of late).

I suspect, that as far as genes go, I am doing better than many on this cite, as far as not putting on too much fat, and I therefore suspect that as much as I would like some tips on bulking for the chubby, others would like them even more. This (bulking for the chubby) seems like one of the major problems that bodybuilding trainers, who are working with people who want to go beyond just being trim and “healthy”, must face. Even C.T., while his “mutation” is incredibly impressive and a huge testament to his abillities as a trainer, does not seem to be able to bulk himself up to the weight he was when he started, while remaining lean. (Perhaps I have not been fullowing his progress closely enough, so please correct me if I am wrong).

[quote]floobadoo wrote:
Even C.T., while his “mutation” is incredibly impressive and a huge testament to his abillities as a trainer, does not seem to be able to bulk himself up to the weight he was when he started, while remaining lean. (Perhaps I have not been fullowing his progress closely enough, so please correct me if I am wrong). [/quote]

CT transformation was great. I have the article printed out on my desk and i look at it every day. To ask someone for example to go from 230lbs 15%bf to 230 5%bf is crazy. Your asking for the lean mass to go from 195.5lbs to 218.5lbs. That’s 23lbs of muscle while losing all the fat. Some people need a whole lifetime to put on that muscle. Putting on fat while you bulk is a simple sign of your body telling you that you are eating too many calories per unit of time needed for muscle gain. Most people recommend a zig zag approach where you bulk and then cut and keep going. It’s all about getting your body in a fat burning mode and being able to absorb the carbs when needed. I believe that bulking for someone with excess fat stores is easier because all he has to do is monitor his protein intake and time his carbs properly with under maintenance calories and he can still sustain good muscle gain. It’s the lean guys who have to draw the line with how many calories to eat inorder to gain a given amount of muscle and not excess fat. laters pk