T Nation

Bulking + Food Timing

SO im trying to start my bulking phase. I have a maintenance level of 2500 calories a day. So i need to take in about 3000 cals a day to bulk. I have been tracking my intake on www.fitday.com
It seems as if I get the majority of my calories at night after I workout or before bed.

I know eating right before bed is pretty bad and loading up on carbs early in the morning isnt optimal. But when this occurs and youre trying to bulk is something better than nothing? After losing 10 lbs in about 2 months im thinking so. Im trying to eat more during the day but I just havent had an appetite lately, let alone my normal mental state. Any tips for increasing appetite?

[quote]jhowlette wrote:
SO im trying to start my bulking phase. I have a maintenance level of 2500 calories a day. So i need to take in about 3000 cals a day to bulk. [/quote]

That’s a start. From there, it’s trial and error. At 155lbs, you should be able to gain at least a pound a week for a while. Keep tabs on your weight, and if you’re not gaining at least that much, up the calories.

You’re quoting rules for if you’re trying to lose weight. You’re bulking… the game changes. Carbs in the morning is a good thing, as is a big meal an hour and a half after training. Get your brain out of fat loss mode.

[quote]Im trying to eat more during the day but I just havent had an appetite lately, let alone my normal mental state. Any tips for increasing appetite?
[/quote]

Force-feed… it sucks… you’ll want to puke… but sometimes it’s a necessity. After a few weeks, you’ll get used to it. This is going to be a battle of wills, you against your body. You want to get big, it wants to stay small (smaller is more efficient in terms of resting metabolic rate).

Don’t let it beat you.

I find that after a leg session I am usually a lot hungrier and can eat a lot more!

I’m bulking and I’m hungry almost all day long. It took a while to get this way. Been bulking most of this year but it really took force feeding myself in the beginning. I was used to eating around 400 cals x 6 meals. Now, I’m eating nearly 800 x 6 plus this wonderful thing called micellar casein in milk right before bed. Depending on carbs and water fluctuations, I’m gaining 1-2lbs a week. Its tough, but stick with it. Lift heavy and eat big and clean if you want to gain.

whats your take on whey gain powder to add a couple hundred calories to my diet? Yesterday I struggled to get to 3000 calories would have been way easier to drink a calorie shake to get me up and over 3000. I am not looking for a meal replacement just something to add on.

So far today ive had
3 eggs
3 strips of bacon
Protein shake 20 g
2 bananas

4-5 oz of turkey
1 stick of pepper jack cheese. Im at 800 cals and only about midway through the day.

whey is great. Theres a simple solution for you, double the amount of food you posted tomorrow.

I don’t count calories…I count protein!

Calories go by hunger!

[quote]jhowlette wrote:
whats your take on whey gain powder to add a couple hundred calories to my diet? Yesterday I struggled to get to 3000 calories would have been way easier to drink a calorie shake to get me up and over 3000. I am not looking for a meal replacement just something to add on.
[/quote]

I assume you mean weight gainer. I know they get a bad rap (cheap carbs, low quality protein), but I think there are some limited practical uses for it. I drink a serving pre workout as a cheaper version of surge recovery. I’ve been doing this for a couple years and have been quite pleased with it. I have not, however, drank multiple servings per day (as recommended on the bottle) solely to boost calories.

[quote]jhowlette wrote:
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with ‘weight gainers’, just don’t get sucked into paying an arm and a leg for them. Mix some maltodextrin in your pre-workout shake, and there you have a ‘weight gainer’ shake.

I personally only use this on training days as a pre-workout fuel, but I have seen several really huge guys (Magnus Samuelsson was one) who drink weight-gainers as a way to meet their daily caloric needs. You WILL notice a difference in your workouts, especially if you don’t pre-load with anything at the moment.

But in general, you need to learn to eat calorie-rich foods instead of the ‘volumized’ approach that Shugart preaches, and learn to ignore the little voice in your head that says you’re just not hungry. Again, get your brain out of fat-loss mode. You also don’t have to eat entirely clean. Little things, like eating dark-meat instead of light or snacking on peanut butter instead of a granola bar, go a long way.

And then there is the power of milk…

Yesterday i only reached about 2600 cals but I took in close to 300g of protein. My problem is really getting enough into me in the morning.

Im thinking a serving of Serious Mass by Optimum Nutrition will do the trick plus better solid foods.

$25/ bottle. 1200 cals / serving, 50 g protein, 250 g carbs. Will take it just before a work out or first thing in the morning. What do you guys think?

Also gonna go out to costco this weekend and splurge on meat, tuna, eggs and milk. At this point I guess I should just drink whole milk.

IM 5 10" and about 160 lbs now.

Smoke Weed and eat Peanut butter and Jam sandwiches before bed.

[quote]Vulf wrote:
Smoke Weed and eat Peanut butter and Jam sandwiches before bed.[/quote]

Lol i never thought about using weed as a way to help bulk das genius.