T Nation

Bulking Diet Question

Hi All,

I wanted to post here as I feel that the people who frequent the beginner forum generally don’t flame like the other forums and also you guys have given me great advice in the past.

I started at 126lbs and in the last ten months have grown to 165lbs ( i was underweight therefore my newbie gains were radical). I have been told that once you feel you have a base that gains should be about 1lb a week, i’m still piling on 2lbs a week. I understand that weight as well as muscle is part of the bulking principle but i’m beginning to look like a pot belly pig and no i’m not scared of fat it’s just too big for my frame, people consistently joke that i’m pregnant.

Could you assess my diet and tell me whether i should change anything whilst still maintaining my bulk, because frankly 165lbs is still puny.

6.30am Protein shake mixed with full fat milk and Flake seed oil
8.30am Multigrain cereal and semi-skimmed milk
10am banana
11am tuna or chicken pasta
1pm Protein shake
2.30pm 25g of peanuts or 75g of cashews and banana
3.30pm Glass of semi skimmed milk
6.30pm Large piece of meat, potato and veg
8pm piece of fruit
10pm Protein shake mixed with full fat milk and Flake seed oil

well thats it. If by the remotest chance this is ok should I continue and wait for my body to adjust ie As I get bigger keep the same intake thereby my body needing more calories and eventually raiding the fat storage that is my belly.

i appreciate any advice

A piece of fruit isn’t a meal, but I can see it’s like a snack between meals. You need some form of protein in the mid afternoon meals (2:30/3:30); Milk is not going to cut it.

I would use milled flaxseed rather than oil–get some more fiber in you. If you want to use oils in your shakes, grab some extra virgin olive oil.

Good work on the weight gain, keep going!

cheers boyscout

between 2.30pm and 3.30pm I worked out that the nuts and milk is about 30g of protein, would you suggest replacing the milk then with chicken etc or could I swap the milk for peanut butter on wholegrain bread thereby increasing fiber content as well (which you mentioned I needed to add, this would be ideal as I get it at work for free).

Alternatively i’ve read that you need to have a large breakfast so should I have peanut butter and bread after my Cereal and then between 2.30 and 3.30 have chicken or eggs etc.

sorry to ask more questions but when I get the attention of someone who knows what they are doing I like to get as much help as I can

[quote]jump2it wrote:
cheers boyscout

between 2.30pm and 3.30pm I worked out that the nuts and milk is about 30g of protein, would you suggest replacing the milk then with chicken etc or could I swap the milk for peanut butter on wholegrain bread thereby increasing fiber content as well (which you mentioned I needed to add, this would be ideal as I get it at work for free).

Alternatively i’ve read that you need to have a large breakfast so should I have peanut butter and bread after my Cereal and then between 2.30 and 3.30 have chicken or eggs etc.

sorry to ask more questions but when I get the attention of someone who knows what they are doing I like to get as much help as I can[/quote]

Well, it boils down to if it’s working. I actually use a half cup of almonds for a meal, it works well for me (portable, calorie dense).

I didn’t see you breakfast, I’d jump on some eggs. Drop the cereal and have some oatmeal or steel cut oats. And a huge glass of milk.

Here’s my breakfast:
4-6 eggs
Steamed Broccoli
Oatmeal

wow,

I thought i was giving it my all on this bulk and then I see what you have for breakfast and realise i’m being a wimp.

I’m gonna buy some porridge(oats) tonight and start bringing some hard boiled eggs to work for brekkie also.

Bring on the food

Jump2it,

I would also recommend adding some fruit to your protein shakes. Believe it or not, you can add broccoli and an apple to a shake and get in some extra veggies.

Also, your pasta meal at 11 AM, make sure you get some veggies.

Now, if you are gaining too much fat, take out a few extra calories. It sounds like you are getting more than enough. Just drop a snack or two (maybe the fruit by itself snacks) for a few weeks and see where you are.

You can always add them back in if you feel the need. What you want to check, A) Are you losing some weight, B) is it impacting your lifting negatively.

If the answer to both is YES, then you add the snacks back in. If you answer YES to A and NO to B, you are fine. If you answer NO to A and B, you can drop a few more calories. At no time should you answer No to A and Yes to B. If you do, it isn’t the diet.

Keep lifting hard and eating well.

cheers arioch

very in depth, i’ll take your points on board also, i can feel my diet getting more spot on by the minute

If you use that little question and answer technique, you’ll see that your diet WILL get more spot on. Those are the basic questions you should always ask yourself.

Now, if you are trying to lose weight, you are going to start getting YES answers to question B. It gets tricky here. Keep readin articles on the sight and you will start to see what you should look for.

Right now, keep on with your plan, make some minor adjustments and keep us informed. There are a lot of people willing to help you out if you give a nice, detailed questions (the details should have what you are doing and what the results have been).

Oh, and make sure you give any change 2-4 weeks before you make more. For me, increases in calories are noticed in 2-3 weeks. Decreases in calories aren’t noticed until weeks 3-4 at the start of a diet. You may notice them faster or slower. It is different for everyone.

Cheers arioch,

I’ll let you know how i’m progressing in a few months time, great advice and very helpful, thank you