T Nation

Bulking Diet Critique

wondering if some of you guys could give my diet for bulking a bit of a critique. ive been doing it for about 2 weeks.

meal 1
6-8 whole eggs in coconut oil
1 cup oatmeal
1 banana
500 ml of chocolate milk

meal 2
1-2 bagels with peanut butter
500 ml of chocolate milk

meal 3
4-5 chicken thighs
1 cup of white rice
veggies
500 ml of chocolate milk

meal 4 (pre workout)
2 pbj sandwiches
500 ml of simply lemonade

meal 5 (post workout)
litre of chocolate milk
1 snickers bar

meal 6
pasta
1 pound ground beef
tomato sauce

meal 7 before bed
6-8 eggs
casein shake

Well…you’ll certainly get BULK if that’s what you’re after…

Oops, meal 3.

dam u must love chocolate milk :slight_smile:

[quote]randalgraves wrote:
wondering if some of you guys could give my diet for bulking a bit of a critique. ive been doing it for about 2 weeks.

meal 1
6-8 whole eggs in coconut oil
1 cup oatmeal
1 banana
500 ml of chocolate milk

meal 2
1-2 bagels with peanut butter
500 ml of chocolate milk

meal 3
4-5 chicken thighs
1 cup of white rice
veggies
500 ml of chocolate milk

meal 4 (pre workout)
2 pbj sandwiches
500 ml of simply lemonade

meal 5 (post workout)
litre of chocolate milk
1 snickers bar

meal 6
pasta
1 pound ground beef
tomato sauce

meal 7 before bed
6-8 eggs
casein shake

[/quote]

Hard (actually impossible) to judge this diet considering you didn’t provide your weight and body composition and training schedule and you didn’t calculate calories and grams of protein, carbs, and fat.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Hard (actually impossible) to judge this diet considering you didn’t provide your weight and body composition and training schedule and you didn’t calculate calories and grams of protein, carbs, and fat.
[/quote]

sorry about that.

weight 280 im 6"5 with about 16-17 bodyfat … i dont have abs but no gut or anything like that.

my plan was just to eat 1.5x my bodyweight in protein and 2 times my bodweight in carbs.

It’s certainly a decent “Bulk” diet. I think you could be a bit more “scientific” about your pre and post-workout choices (Snickers bar?), but otherwise this diet definitely resembles what I used to do when trying to gain weight for football way back when.
Now, that said: Why are you bulking?! At 280 with 16-17% bodyfat, I think leaning out would be a smarter choice now.

[quote]randalgraves wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
[/quote]

sorry about that.

weight 280 im 6"5 with about 16-17 bodyfat … i dont have abs but no gut or anything like that.

my plan was just to eat 1.5x my bodyweight in protein and 2 times my bodweight in carbs. [/quote]

We still can’t judge if you are meeting those macros because you didn’t list the totals. And you didn’t list fat.

Most of your choices are OK and if you can get away with chocolate milk and snickers and still feel good, then fine.

[quote]eddiealfano wrote:
It’s certainly a decent “Bulk” diet. I think you could be a bit more “scientific” about your pre and post-workout choices (Snickers bar?), but otherwise this diet definitely resembles what I used to do when trying to gain weight for football way back when.
Now, that said: Why are you bulking?! At 280 with 16-17% bodyfat, I think leaning out would be a smarter choice now. [/quote]

snickers bar is taken from brandon lillys diet lol, probably not the best choice i know but i nearly vomit/ cant eat for a while after i drink a shake with some protein powder and waxy maize. do you have any suggestions on anything else?

reason im bulking is because i still want to get bigger, im looking to compete in strongman in the future and most of the top amateur guys are in 300-330s.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

We still can’t judge if you are meeting those macros because you didn’t list the totals. And you didn’t list fat. [/quote]

ok i was aiming for 6000 calories a day… so using 50/30/20 split

baseline numbers
750 g carbs
450 g protein
130 g fat

It’s odd that you’d be able to consume something as thick and filling as milk after a workout, but not a whey shake? My experience with whey mixed in water is that it goes down easy and I can eat immediately after it. Are you using a cheap brand? Maybe you’re not mixing it with enough water? I don’t know what else to say there. Maybe it’s the waxy maize? Whatever the case, the stuff you’re consuming around training time can really make a difference in your results.

A lot of people are doing “intra-workout” nutrition now, and i’d recommend you search this website for more info on that. But, if we’re talking just “post-workout” shakes, you wanna get stuff in you that is easily digested and causes a good insulin response. So, traditionally that has meant Whey and fast-acting carbs. Milk and a snickers bar is just not gonna replenish and recover you as well. I personally enjoy eating my carbs, so i’ve done stuff like having 50 grams of whey protein and 2 large bagels when trying to gain weight. That’ll get you 120 grams of relatively high-glycemic index carbs without filling you up too much. I’d also recommend searching Charles Poliquin’s Post workout recommendations. He has a very scientific approach to this stuff and I’ve found his info very useful here.

Finally, I still recommend you watch that bodyfat. Fat has no function, for Strongman or any other sport. Make sure your workouts and conditioning are on point. I understand your desire/need to gain size, but its functional mass you need. Don’t just worry about scale weight. If you could stay at 280 but with 10-12 percent bodyfat, you’d probably be better at your events than if you go up to 300 with 18-20 percent body fat.