Bulking Caloric Needs - Calculation

I don’t know why I have so much trouble with this.

I’m 140 lbs and looking to add mass. I read Massive eating, and I got the following numbers:

Protein - 310 grams (per day)
Carbs - 240 grams
Fat - 106 grams

Based on a P/C/F breakdown of 40/30/30, off of 3200 calories per day.

If I’m looking at seven meals, 3 P+C and 4 P+F, I get:

P+C - 45g/80g
P+F - 45g/27g

Does that sound right so far?

Now, 310 grams is WAY more than 1.5 g /lb protein intake. It’s even higher than 2 g /lb. Which guideline do I go by? If I go by the 1.5 g/lb that I typically read about, I get 210 grams of protein based off my weight. Ok…then how do I figure out carb and fat grams from that, based off the 3200 kcals I got from the Massive Eating calculation?

I think I’ve asked this question a while ago and all I got was “just eat,” but I want to know the numbers and make sure I’m doing it right. If anyone could lend a hand, I thank you in advance!

How many calories are you eating now? You don’t have to jump right up to 3200. You may in fact even need more than that to gain properly. But it’s fine to start slow. I always found Massive Eating guidelines a bit high personally. I add a little too much fat when following them. You can work your way up, evaluating based on progress.

As far as amount of protein, there’s no reason why you couldn’t or shouldn’t go over 2g/lb. But there’s also nothing magical about a 40/30/30 breakdown. Some say a natural lifter can only really optimally use 1.75g/lb protein. Whether or not this is true, you still need to meet your caloric requirements for gaining. And there’s no reason why you can’t hit 40% protein to achieve this if you choose just as well as bumping up your percentage of any other macronutrient.

These results will help you to know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight, and the number of calories needed per day to achieve your goal weight in a healthy, steady manner.

You need 2383.1 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 2563.9 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 1883.1 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise.

If you increase your current caloric intake to 2883.1 calories per day, you will gain one pound per week.

Exercise and Calorie Needs

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2595.5 calories per day and still maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2865.8 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 2796.2 calories per day.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 3091.8 calories per day.