Bulking and Flatulence

Hi you guys im 15 5ft 8 and 170lbs with about 9% BF, ive just started a bulking cycle, though, DONT LAUGH, ive been suffering from a lot of flatulence lol, that can get fairly painful when your trying to hold it in in class. Before i was getting about 4000 calories and didn’t have this problem. this is what ive been eating:

7:00AM
Breakfast
1 LARGE BOWL OF MUESLI + MILK {NO WHEAT ALL OATS) + 2 SlICES WHOLEMEAL BREAD WITH YEAST EXTRACT SPREAD + 1 BANANA + Multivitamin + Fish Oil Cap

= 950 Calories, Protein 35.25

9:00 AM 1 SERVING Classic Grow! (With Water)

= 300 Calories, Protein 40g

LUNCH
13:30
1 PINT OF MILK + CHICKEN SALAD BAGUETTE + 1 APPLE

= 787 CALORIES, Protein 39G

16:00
2 PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES + 1 BOWL OF MUESLI + A CARROT RAW + 2 FRUIT+ FISH OIL CAP + 1 Pint Milk + 1 TBSP OLIVE OIL.

=1203 CALORIES, Protein 44G

18:00 WORKOUT

IMMEDIATELY POST WORK OUT (18:45)
1 BANANA
= 106 Calories 1 Protein

19:00
DINNER
CHICKEN BREAST (4 THICK SLICES) + CARROTS+ PEAS + POTATOES + Fish OIL Cap.

= 500 CALORIES, 30g PROTEIN

21:00
1 Serving Classic Grow! (with water)

• 50g Mixed Nuts + 1 slice cheddar cheese + LARGE 1 Pear.
    =852 Calories. 60g Protein

21:30 Go To Bed With one serving of Classic Grow! next to my bed. Alarm goes off at 3:00 Drink it, then go back to sleep till 6:45.

Calories 300, Protein 40g.

TOTAL
Calories = 5001
Protein = 290 Grams

Thanks any help on what specific foods at what times may be causing it will ge appreciated. BTW the problem is worse towards the end of the day say 15:00. Thanks a lot.

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
7:00AM
Breakfast
2 SlICES WHOLEMEAL BREAD WITH YEAST EXTRACT SPREAD + 1 BANANA + Multivitamin + Fish Oil Cap
[/quote]

I’d cut out the yeast extract, which could be upsetting the balance of your intestinal flora. Also, go easy on anything sugary for a while (like bananas), since that tends to feed the microflora.

If it doesn’t get any better in a week or two, maybe cut out the carrots as well. They contain FOS, which feeds bacteria. This is typically a good thing, but if you’re having problems, it’s something else to cut out.

Good luck!

Flatulence is largely an individual problem, although fiber, legumes, and milk are common culprits. You may just be overburdening your digestive system, as well.

The best thing to do is trial-and-error to find out what is giving you the gas.

[quote]Angelbutt wrote:
Flatulence is largely an individual problem, although fiber, legumes, and milk are common culprits. You may just be overburdening your digestive system, as well.

The best thing to do is trial-and-error to find out what is giving you the gas.[/quote]

Not only is it individual, but for any bodybuilder lifting weights and eating 6-7 times a day, IT IS NATURAL! The average guy farts 14 times a day. That’s just the average.

hahahah Is that true, or is it just a Prof X fact?

Anyway… I think you should be having alot more than a bannana post workout. If you cant get your hands on Surge, have a big glass of chocolate milk.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
The average guy farts 14 times a day. That’s just the average.

hahahah Is that true, or is it just a Prof X fact?
[/quote]

It’s the truth. I just have a habit of remembering random facts. I think I would do great on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, assuming I had at least one phone call to a friend. I got the info from a text book I had on Gastrointestinal Disease with chapter authors Michael D. Levitt, M.D., and John H. Bond, M.D. They contended that “most of us pass somewhere between 200 and 2,000 ml of gas per day (average, about 600 ml) in roughly 13-14 passages. These emissions are composed of five gasses: nitrogen (N2), oxygen (O2), carbon dioxide (CO2), hydrogen (H2), and methane (CH4). Nitrogen usually predominates, followed by variable concentrations of carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane, and very low levels of oxygen”.

What all of that means is that for the average healthy guy who is eating up to 2 and 3 times the frequency what the average sedentary person would, constant farts are not abnormal. I would be more worried if he WASN’T farting often.

yeh but not 14 times a day, im more like 80, no joke, which means that if im sat in a calss, for like an hour where i cant go, it can get painful.

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
yeh but not 14 times a day, im more like 80, no joke, which means that if im sat in a calss, for like an hour where i cant go, it can get painful. [/quote]

Dude, imagine actually working in certain professions where the procedure you are doing won’t allow you to leave for hours because your patient’s/client’s health is on the line. At least you can excuse yourself to the restroom. That is what Gas-X is for.

Another factor is the high amount of protein.
Any time i’ve been taking in higher than my usual amount…boom.

Gas-X is great…you also might want to try papaya pills. Those have helped me a great deal in settling my stomach.

Professor…Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is my understanding that there are certain microbes that live at the end of your GI tract that LOVE the little goodies you can’t/did’t abdorb, specifically carbohydrates. Certain carbs(beans…) are harder to break down and thus make it to the end of your tract. These microbes use these “nutrients” for fuel and in turn produce gaseous waste… which is what we release. The more fuel you give them, the more they will use. Thus, the more food you eat, the more food they eat, and the more gas they release, the more gas you release.

Just as an aside… My physiology professor was a nut, in a good way though.

The testing of gas by the body has the clinical term “Sampling Reflex”. Meaning your body is “sampling” what is in there to get an idea of what it is. He told us about how he will run into the living room of his house and, infront of his wife and kids, yell out “Sampling Reflex!”, fart…and then leave.

Also, and this one is cool, his daughter swallowed a coin one time. So like any good physiology teacher would he busted out the Stud Finder and tract it for the next few days as it wound its way through her body.

I would rename Massive Eating to Massive Shitting. I have to take an extra dump each day while on a bulking diet or else I spend my day constipated. I would suggest adding a crap per day. Also, I like caffiene in the morning primarily for the quality of my pooping experience as opposed to the wakefulness that others cite as their reason for consumption.

All this talk about poop has reminded me…

I once had a lot of trouble. I tried something simple. I had been eating as fast as I could. All I did was slow down and was careful to chew a lot before each time I swallowed. I actually counted the number of chews. If I remembered right I went from about 5 chews to about 75 chews and later I think I averaged about 30 chews. I was astounded at the difference. It is also easy to try and it may work for you.

Also, it may be the supplements that are giving you problems. They don’t bother everyone, but some people are more sensitive.

Like most people said, it could be anything, including eating too much and/or too quickly.

Other than eating more, have you changed your diet in any other ways? Have you begun eating something new or taking a different supplement? Just like your body may not be used to eating so much, it also may not be used to eating a particular food.

Are you eating your 6-7 meals with anxiety?

I tend to digest food better if I’m relaxed.

Eating fast and frequently (ie. rushing in between classes, chugging my shake down at work, etc.) doesn’t suit my digestive system and I have the same problem as you.

alstan90,

Looking at your menu I noticed that you have milk in two meals back-to-back. I used to do that and had gas problems until a friend pointed out to me that may be the cause. Sure enough, now I space milk meals with one other meal in between and have significantly less gas.

13-14 times a day…yeesh.
I bet some of these are subconsciously done though…right…?

I think that anyone who upps their protein significantly will discover this occurance. Powders really exacerbate this phenomenom.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
I think that anyone who upps their protein significantly will discover this occurance. Powders really exacerbate this phenomenom.[/quote]

I notice this with very low-quality protein powders. The worse the more the crowd clears out. I don’t notice it with Grow! though.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
I think that anyone who upps their protein significantly will discover this occurance. Powders really exacerbate this phenomenom.

I notice this with very low-quality protein powders. The worse the more the crowd clears out. I don’t notice it with Grow! though.[/quote]

Which is why I preach about buying quality powders like Grow!