T Nation

Bulking and Energy Work

I just started a 10% over maintenance diet I'm incorporating with Total Body Training.
I normally do 1 or 2 HIIT sessions per week--400 meter sprints Running Man style with 6 to 8 intervals with warm up and cool down, which ends up being about 4 miles per session. I then do one distance run per week--usually 6 miles. I'm careful about post-nutrition--whey and carbs and BCAA's directly after. So my weekly totals are 10-15 miles.
Here's my question:
While trying to add muscle mass for the next few months can I keep doing this energy work without working against my bulking goals?
I have a couple of reasons I would like to keep running:
.) When I go back to maintenance and eventually to a couple months of cutting for the summer I want to be in decent shape--keeping the cardiovascular "gains" I've made in the last six months.

2.) I really like to eat. I eat clean 90% or more of the time but I have no problem downing 4000 calories a day. I could do more if I wanted to be a lard-ass. I figure that 10-15 miles per week gives me another few hundred daily calories to "spend".
I just want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction for my goals.
Btw, I'm 6'1, 185, 12-13% bf.

You know, I was going to go into some lengthy description of my thoughts on the apparent contradiction of blending a bulking cycle with cardio work. I would've mentioned that it's tricky, and you need to balance your training, and recovery, and overall nutrition.

But then I took a look at the Total Body Training article, just to be certain I knew what I was talking about. The sixth post to that article was Chad Waterbury's response to a question. Chad said:
"Yes, two days of cardio is fine."

Problem solved. :wink:

Bam. Thanks M-taur