Bulking and Buying Suits

I want to buy a new suit and would like it to fit for a while. Should I buy it when I’m bulked up or when I’m a little less fattened up? I’m guessing bulked up is better but I don’t have much of a clue about how suits are really “supposed to” fit. Or do I need to get a “fat suit” now and then get a “lean suit” a couple months later after I’ve dumped some fat?

I own one really cheap suit and basically bought it a size too big. I’ve grown into it in most places but I’m sure it fits horribly.

Right now I’m a few weeks away from ending a bulk and around 14% BF so it’s not like I’m planning to cut from 30% or something. Sorry if this has been discussed already, couldn’t find it with a search.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
I want to buy a new suit and would like it to fit for a while. Should I buy it when I’m bulked up or when I’m a little less fattened up? I’m guessing bulked up is better but I don’t have much of a clue about how suits are really “supposed to” fit.

Or do I need to get a “fat suit” now and then get a “lean suit” a couple months later after I’ve dumped some fat?

I own one really cheap suit and basically bought it a size too big. I’ve grown into it in most places but I’m sure it fits horribly.

Right now I’m a few weeks away from ending a bulk and around 14% BF so it’s not like I’m planning to cut from 30% or something. Sorry if this has been discussed already, couldn’t find it with a search.[/quote]

I can’t even wear suits I bought just 3-4 years ago (hell, actually, I doubt it would fit if I bought it one year ago). This is why I generally don’t wear suits. It is too difficult to predict what point your body will be at when one is actually needed.

If you are serious about bodybuilding, expecting a suit to [quote]fit for a while[/quote] is a waste of energy until you are closer to your end goal.

I don’t even bother thinking about buying a suit until the occasion to wear it is fast approaching.

I would buy it when you’re bulked up. A good tailor can make it fit after you’ve lost some weight. You can always subtract material, but you can’t add any.

Go to a Big and Tall place and see if the people there can point you in the right direction. If you aren’t going to have to wear it on a weekly basis I’d say just rent a suit for the few times you need it.

Unfortunately I wear a suit daily these days. (college 7 months ago seems so far away, I did wear one semi-frequently then)I buy them big in the shoulders and have them tapered at the waist.

The shoulders are the main issue. Leave space to grow and don’t have the back, between your shoulder blades, drawn too tight. You will get longer wear this way and the front will still make a good impression. If you find you are not growing fast, taper the back.

Wear pads in the loose shoulders for volume. Size them right and you can’t tell. Then take them out as you grow.

Thanks, everyone. The advice helps.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I can’t even wear suits I bought just 3-4 years ago (hell, actually, I doubt it would fit if I bought it one year ago). This is why I generally don’t wear suits. It is too difficult to predict what point your body will be at when one is actually needed.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess the key is to have realistic expectations of “a while” as being “a year or two”. I do need a minimum of one decently-fitting suit for work, though. At least it doesn’t have to be expensive.

[quote]FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
The shoulders are the main issue. Leave space to grow and don’t have the back, between your shoulder blades, drawn too tight. You will get longer wear this way and the front will still make a good impression. If you find you are not growing fast, taper the back.

Wear pads in the loose shoulders for volume. Size them right and you can’t tell. Then take them out as you grow. [/quote]

Now that is a great idea.