Bulking and Basketball

is it possible to still continue a bulk playing hoops 3 days out the week if i eat enough? or will it be less a matter of calories and more a matter of the basketball cutting into my recovery?

some people are telling me i can still do both but i dont see it happening…

if you can eat enough to override your cardio then yes. youll probaly keep a lower BF& after playing ball then you did before even with a higher caloric intake than before but you shouldnt let missing out on social things like a game of ball ruin social activities just cause it might hinder your progress a little bit.

You can if you are eating and resting enough. I never could tho. I played ball in high school and would never gain weight during although after the season I would put more weight on than before season. I was also in high school and you will get bigger anyways due to just flat out growing. lol

Gerdy

Ya, you are naturally a slim guy tho gerdy, as am i. So any extra effort, and the weight dropps off… good for leaning up, not so good for bulking!

I would say try it, eat/drink before, during and after and you will minimise the metabolic impact it has. That is what i do if i want to train twice a day, i eat during one of the sessions to mnimise the metabolic cost.

Joe

maybe i can buy some Surge and take it before and after…

and during*

Absolutely!!

I played ball in high school as well, I think it makes a difference what body type you have naturally. I haven’t been able to see all six abs since I was in the third grade so naturally it is easier for me to bulk. If you are like Joe or Gerdy it will be next to impossible without copious amounts of food. Why are you playing basketball? Just for cardio? Fun? or on a team? also the time you are running for will make a difference. Half an hour 3 days a week will be no different than a moderate cardio or HIT session depending on how serious you are. If you are training for the Olympics and Sprinting for 4 hours a day then getting bigger will be impossible.
I lifted hard every morning when I was in HS, and during basketball season I would lean out some because of the increased activity, but I could at least keep all of my muscle if not gain a little.
Another thing to think about is your knees, almost every baller I know has had knee problems at some point or another and squatting was excruciating for me in season and also hindered my success on the court. I was also practicing for 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week though. After season, these problems would clear up and I was as good as new after a week of rest. Didn’t have the same problems during track or football season.

Ungs9

just make sure your not on a low carb diet, and keep your fat intake low. Playing 3 days a week is nothing.

[quote]ungs9 wrote:
I played ball in high school as well, I think it makes a difference what body type you have naturally. I haven’t been able to see all six abs since I was in the third grade so naturally it is easier for me to bulk. If you are like Joe or Gerdy it will be next to impossible without copious amounts of food. Why are you playing basketball? Just for cardio? Fun? or on a team? also the time you are running for will make a difference. Half an hour 3 days a week will be no different than a moderate cardio or HIT session depending on how serious you are. If you are training for the Olympics and Sprinting for 4 hours a day then getting bigger will be impossible.
I lifted hard every morning when I was in HS, and during basketball season I would lean out some because of the increased activity, but I could at least keep all of my muscle if not gain a little.
Another thing to think about is your knees, almost every baller I know has had knee problems at some point or another and squatting was excruciating for me in season and also hindered my success on the court. I was also practicing for 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week though. After season, these problems would clear up and I was as good as new after a week of rest. Didn’t have the same problems during track or football season.

Ungs9[/quote]

for fun with my co workers after work…

im prolly going to stop though lol i have a hard enough tyime eating as it is…

it was cool though…i think my squatting “carried over” to my jumping…people i could never rebond over before i snagged rebounds on…