T Nation

Bulked Up for a Year, Got Fat

I’ve done Rippetoes on and off for the past 14 months. I got injured twice and had to stop, but I’ve been doing it consistently for the past 3 months now. Right now my numbers are
squat 3x5 315
3x5 bench 227.5 ,
3x5 military press 155
deadlifts 1x5 340
chinups can do 2 x5 bodyweight

I gained 40 pounds during this time and got a lot stronger and a lot more size especially in my thighs, shoulders, and chest. The problem is I had a pot belly back when I weighed 187 before I started, now its huge and I got up to 228. I’ve decided to go on a cut and went down

I’ve attached some pictures to show what I’m talking about. Basically I look like a pregnent woman with this huge belly, and I can make it look better by contracting my abs or wearing a girdle but its annoying doing this all day and it definately is noticeable through clothes. My tanita body fat scale is saying my body fat% is over 30%

I’m at a point right now where i want to start working on some hypertrophy 8-12 rep work program to get more size but I also feel I need to get rid of this huge pot belly asap and get my body fat down to around 10%

I started a cut went down to 224.2 after the first week and 223.6 after this week. I dropped my calories down to around 2300 or so and added jump rope or stationary bike on off days 3 times a week and have been doing rippetoes still. I’m finding it harder to increase the weights now so I’m considering getting off this program while I cut.

What is the best thing for me to do right now? Should I stay on a strength low rep program while doing this cut to maintain size? Should I go on a hypertrophy higher rep program to build more muscle that may help burn fat? Go on a slight cut on a hypertophy so I can build muscle and slowly lose fat? Go on an extreme cut? Can you recommend a route for me and a program to get on to achieve it

My god man, I’m not saying this to be a prick - but you need real talk.

You are not doing it right.

Strength needs to be thrown out of the picture here. Do you feel good about the way you look? <---- That is a genuine question.

In my humble, and perhaps overly zealous opinion, you need to get on a diet. Stat. I’m no huge advocate of maintaining leanness (to each their own, respectively,) but I can’t imagine that you feel good about where you’re at right now.

Hypertrophy is important but you honestly need to lose that gut. I honestly couldn’t even tell if you lift or not because all I can focus on is your stomach. Is that a water/salt/carb bloat or a legitimate shot? I feel like I’m being goofed right now.

Please, please start doing some/a shit ton of cardio and cutting calories as soon as possible.

Generally you don’t need to change programs when you’re cutting down, just keep doing what your doing. But in your case, going to a hypertrophy program that has you in the gym more might be good for you.

First thing to do is get a diet plan WRITTEN down. Use Fitday or something.

me tucking in the gut and flexing a little

[quote]SSC wrote:
My god man, I’m not saying this to be a prick - but you need real talk.

You are not doing it right.

Strength needs to be thrown out of the picture here. Do you feel good about the way you look? <---- That is a genuine question.

In my humble, and perhaps overly zealous opinion, you need to get on a diet. Stat. I’m no huge advocate of maintaining leanness (to each their own, respectively,) but I can’t imagine that you feel good about where you’re at right now.

Hypertrophy is important but you honestly need to lose that gut. I honestly couldn’t even tell if you lift or not because all I can focus on is your stomach. Is that a water/salt/carb bloat or a legitimate shot? I feel like I’m being goofed right now.

Please, please start doing some/a shit ton of cardio and cutting calories as soon as possible.[/quote]

?

This guy has no tone in his core. The average guy could look like that after a large meal. he is letting his belly hang with zero control.

Yes, he likely needs to clean up his diet, but he wrote he had a belly at 185lbs and just kept gaining. Hand held body fat testers are shit and the problem here is likely his overall approach to training and eating and not some drastic need for an all out diet right now unless he wants to lose what little muscle he gained.

This guy clearly does not train that hard. He is going by the numbers…like many here seem to be doing.

He needs to fix how he trains along with cleaning up his diet… but his belly hangs because he trains like he does and has no real strength in his core. Dropping even more weight without fixing the intensity issue is like taking him back to square one…or worse.

Thats a strength workout, not a workout for physique. Some can get good results off it, others dont, and they will need a specific exercise with more volume. If you still want to stick to the workout, then control your diet better, and see if that makes a difference. I personally would have scrapped that workout after 3 months, and switch to higher volume, and more frequency.

I have a diet plan written down where I’m taking in 2200 calories on nonworkout days and 2500 on the 3 lifting days. I’ve actually been eating relatively clean for a long time, rarely eat fast food, eat cottage cheese, oatmeal, a little fruits, salads, chicken breast, fish all baked, protein drink, etc. Now I"ve cut out all fast food totally, started adding some jump rope and stationary bike on my off days. I did this 2 weeks now and lost about 4 pounds, yet my bodyfat% on the scale went up somehow.

I was reading that cardio on a cut could really affect recovery and that you should get the deficit from diet and keep lifting to maintain muscle and lose mostly fat. I can squeeze my abs and make it not look so bad as in the last picture, but I still want to strip that fat off my body asap because its embarrasing and really stands out. I had some young girls laughing at me in the mall, and a girl I met in a club come over to my house mention it lol. The weird thing is the rest of my body and my arms are relatively lean, no fat on my legs arms shoulders, they are real tight and lean, its all in the gut.

I had really wanted to squat over 400 pounds before the summer for basketball, do some hypertophy 8-12 rep type workouts, but I think this gut is more urgent.

[quote]RePz wrote:
Thats a strength workout, not a workout for physique. Some can get good results off it, others dont, and they will need a specific exercise with more volume. If you still want to stick to the workout, then control your diet better, and see if that makes a difference. I personally would have scrapped that workout after 3 months, and switch to higher volume, and more frequency.[/quote]

Agree with this. These strength only workouts don’t seem to be turning out the beasts like you would think.

[quote]dapunisher1 wrote:

I had really wanted to squat over 400 pounds before the summer for basketball, do some hypertophy 8-12 rep type workouts, but I think this gut is more urgent. [/quote]

Why the labels have gotten out of hand.

Most of my rep ranges my entire life were in the 8-12 range and I gained a shit load of strength AND muscle.

There was no need to somehow focus ONLY on strength as a beginner as if that would somehow lead to more gains unless you are one extremely weak individual and need to work up to “normal”.

That doesn’t mean you should avoid ever trying different rep ranges…but that muscle comes from eating enough to build it and training hard enough for your body to feel the need for muscle to start with.

Just because you did a low rep set doesn’t mean shit in and of itself. Your body doesn’t care about the number alone.

I train with a lot of intensity actually. I’ve gotten much stronger and do heavy weights, but yeah the volume isnt that high. Rippetoe said that your core would get very strong from deadlifting and squatting heavy weight which I have been doing got as high as 325 on squats and 355 on deadlifts, but my stomach sticks out so much unless I hold it in all day. I’m cnofused as to whether I should be doing cardio and cutting to an extreme and possibly lose my muscle and strength gains or what. I’m open to changing my routine to something that would help my situation more maybe to a 4 day push pull or upper lower split so I can still train each bodypart 2 times a week.

How can i lose this gut and look a lot asap without losing much muscle or possibly even gaining muscle and strength still? Also are the 4-6 rep range ideal while trying to lose the gut and maintaining muscle. I’ve read that low reps high weight keep muscle better on a cut, but I’m not sure.

And also rippetoes is the top recommended beginner program people said you need to do linear progression first so thats what I did. I ate very clean for the most part, but maybe ate too much of the good stuff. I had a gut like this for 2 or 3 years now even before Rippetoes. After college for about 3 years I didnt workout at all had little activity, ate whatever I wanted. I was pretty skinny at 187 with a big gut, so I got into Rippetoes and added over 40 pounds to my body in 14 months of off and on lifting.

Get in the gym 5 days a week or more. Train like a bodybuilder. The weight you are using alone doesn’t mean your core is strong. You can’t even see any sign of abdominal strength there. Try training abs. maybe someone like you needs it.

Everyone could let their belly hang out, but people who train regularly usually have more control over that area even when at rest.

Post a before picture when you started,

[quote]dapunisher1 wrote: I did this 2 weeks now and lost about 4 pounds, yet my bodyfat% on the scale went up somehow.
[/quote]

Don’t go by those scales. I have one and it’s terribly inaccurate. Also if you insist going by weight, weigh yourself every morning when you wake-up instead. Start an excel spreadsheet to track your weight progress.

Set yourself a macro target, not just calories. Aim for at least 200g of those calories to be protein. (So 800Cals from protein, at least). Keep your carbs to waking up and peri-workout. The weight should fall off pretty easy if you stay methodical about it.

Switch to a BB style program, gain some muscle.

Oh, and do some core(hate that word) work.

me 14 months ago

You were definitely not fat then. You have gained a decent amount of fat with that 40lbs. If I had to guess. it is likely half and half. I would not go on some all out diet right now unless you want to end up back to where you were…but again, I am focusing on intensity.

Everyone I see in the gym would say they train hard.

Very few of them actually do.

You can SEE it in how someone is built when they do.

Your conditioning is zero and your training volume and frequency is too low to keep that fat off even with you eating that amount.

Get in the gym like the rest of the people making others go “damn”.

me 14 months ago flexing

one more from 14 months ago

I’ve cut carbs after like 2 pm, getting most of my calories from protein something like 50 - 25- 25 on workout days and on nonworkout days I’ve cut carbs even more so like 50% protein 32% fat 18% carbs. I dont eat anything bad, I eat nuts and fish oil/ flax seed oil as my fat, chicken fish as protein, and carbs are mostly from beans now have a half grapefruit, and green veggies and salads.

Can anyone recommend a good solid program for me to get on. I was on this site http://www.aworkoutroutine.com and what hes saying looks good so I might buy his ebook.

Should this whole fat loss thing be extremely gradual and should I go on a 4 day split or something with higher volume

Here is one:

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Everyone alright with me adding this to the sticky?[/quote]

Everyone except Kvetch probably, lol.

Anyway, here’s a higher frequency routine that I’ve used with great success for those who want to try hitting each bodypart 2x a week and have 6 days a week to workout. People like to call this “push/pull/legs.”

*1 set to failure for each exercise except where otherwise noted
*rest 90-120 secs between ramp sets and up to 3 mins before final set to failure
*should be able to finish these workouts in an hour or less
Monday - Chest/Shoulders/Tri’s

Lo Incline Dumbbell Press- 3x4-8
Decline Barbell Press- 2x6-10
Seated overhead Barbell press- 3x6-10
Cable Lateral raises- 3x6-10
Shrugs- 3x6-10
Lying Behind the head extensions- 3x6-10
1 arm overhead extensions- 2x6-10

Tuesday - Back/Bi’s/Calves

Weighted Pull ups- 3x4-6
Seated straight bar Rows- 3x8-10
Pinwheel Curls- 3x4-8
Incline curls- 3x4-8
Standing Calf Raises- 3x4-8 (2)
Leg Press Calf Raises- 2x12-15

Wednesday - Legs/Abs

Seated Leg Curls- 3x6-10
RDL’s- 3x6-10
Leg Press- 3x6-10
Front Squats- 3x4-8
Weighted crunches- 3x12-15
Weighted planks- 3x30secs (weight on lowerback/glutes)

Thursday - Chest/Shoulders/Tri’s

Flat Dumbbell Press- 3x4-8
Incline Barbell Press- 2x6-10
Seated Overhead dumbbell Press- 3x6-10
Dumbbell lateral raises- 3x6-10
Machine Dips- 3x6-10
French Press (can you tell I love these?)- 2x6-10

Friday - Back/Bi’s/Calves

Barbell Rows- 3x6-10
Straight bar Pulldowns (shoulder with grip)- 3x6-10
Alt Dumbbell Curls- 3x6-10
Reverse Preacher curls- 2x6-10
Seated Calf Raises-5x6-12 (3)

Saturday - Legs/Abs

Lying Leg curls- 3x4-8
Single Leg curls- 2x6-10
Squats- 3x6-10
Hack Squats (close stance)- 3x6-10
Cable Rope crunches- 3x12-15
Weighted leg raises- 2x12-15
[/quote]

A couple other things that could also make your gut look bigger (other than fat.)

• Excessive lumbar lordosis.

http://medicalimages.allrefer.com/large/lordosis.jpg

The farther your lumbar curves forward the more its going to make your gut stick out .

• Weak transverse abdominis. The only thing this sheet of muscle is used for is to “compress abdominal contents.”

I didnt determine this myself but you are not going to get comprehensive postural, abdominal core training from simply doing heavy squats and deadlifts.

Everybody is different. Different people need different programs and tweaks.