T Nation

Bulk Training

Just started a bulk training was wondering if you guys thought this was to much, i am doing the shotgun method but in a different manner due to time restrictions, i appreciate any comments or feedback to help me improve.

workout 3x a week Mon. Wed. Fri.

Mon (A)-pull-up- 4-6 reps 8 sets

Military- 4-6 reps 8 sets

D-lift- 4-6 reps 8 sets

Wed- (B)- Bench-4-6 reps 6 sets

seated row- 4-6 reps 6 sets

Squat- 4-6 reps 8 sets

Fri.- (A) repeat Mon,

following week do workout B than A and B.
on Sat. wanted to do dips and chins for 50 reps
Does any of this sound right?

It looks like you’re leaving out entire bodyparts. Are you only trying to bulk your back, part of your thighs, and a little bit of your chest and shoulders?

Am i wrong in saying that those exercises are the staples of growth, entire body wise.

Mr popular i was always under the assumption that squats and deads pretty much worked your whole body, you don’t agree w/that?

I did something similar when I 1st started out. Although I’;d always put the deads or the squats 1st in the workout, hoping for a big surge of GH (I read somewhere that they had an overall effect on the body)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I did something similar when I 1st started out. Although I’;d always put the deads or the squats 1st in the workout, hoping for a big surge of GH (I read somewhere that they had an overall effect on the body)

S
[/quote]

They’re also more technical exercise technique wise, so it’s best to be fresher for them.

lol@print!

Also, i think it looks OK… but you could do with a LITTLE more of a full exercise choice.

You have a vert. push and pull, a horiz. push and pull, a quad and hip dominant… thats all fine…

If you did them all in one workout of between 4-6 sets, 3-5 times a week, you could have some very decent weekly volume. just an idea for the future maybe!

For bulking, it is a good idea to keep total volume low, ie: Sets, and keep the intensity and load very, very high. A-la Yates or Mentzer…

This is a FANTASTIC link to build your own HIT style program, i am not an HIT advocate in the slightest, but inbetween periods of high volume/cycles, this programming article is VERY VERY USEFUL. Ignore it at your peril…

I also suggest sticking in some Biceps and Triceps. It isnt un-necessary work for a bodybuilder at any stage of his development. I stand by that comment strong.

Also i would do calves staggered between sets of other muscle groups, and throw abs in at the beginning or end of every/everyother workout. But if you dont want the extra work, and are just looking for the pure bulk of low volume, then that is fine for a short time.

As for the arms, 3-5 sets of Bar curls/Hammer curls/Preacher Curls OR Scott curls would be fine, with 3-5 sets of Close Smith bench/Skull crushers(Inc,Flat or Decline) OR Dips.

What do you say?

JJ

[quote] JJ wrote:
lol@print!

What do you say?

JJ[/quote]

I don’t know what Jet will say, but i will say Thanks JJ
your a good man.

[quote]print wrote:
Am i wrong in saying that those exercises are the staples of growth, entire body wise.

Mr popular i was always under the assumption that squats and deads pretty much worked your whole body, you don’t agree w/that?[/quote]

Squats and deadlifts will cause all of the muscles in your body to contract, but that doesn’t mean they are giving them all a growth-stimulus.

I absolutely disagree.