T Nation

Bulk Too Quickly?

I’ve been bulking now for the last 4 weeks. In that 4 weeks I’ve gained 4 kgs. I’ve been eating pretty well and pretty clean. I worked out my calorie intake only needs to be 3,300 but I don’t know how much I’m taking in.
I just try to eat 4 or 5 solid food meals and 1 or 2 weight gain/whey shakes. Should I try to ease my calories back a little?
I’ve noticed I’ve grown but I can tell a fair bit is fat. Is it easy to ‘cut’ this fat once the bulk is over or should I still be careful watching my fat gain??
I don’t do cardio either. All comments or questions welcome.

[quote] I worked out my calorie intake only needs to be 3,300 but I don’t know how much I’m taking in.
[/quote]

There’s your problem right there. Keep a food log. 4kgs is 8 pounds, way too much weight to put on in a month if you are clean bulking.

i’d recommend cutting back on your food slightly until you’re gaining around a pound a week.

good luck.

[quote]Huh? wrote:
I worked out my calorie intake only needs to be 3,300 but I don’t know how much I’m taking in.

There’s your problem right there. Keep a food log. 4kgs is 8 pounds, way too much weight to put on in a month if you are clean bulking. [/quote]

2lbs a week is too much? I don’t think so.

[quote]Huh? wrote:
There’s your problem right there. Keep a food log. 4kgs is 8 pounds, way too much weight to put on in a month if you are clean bulking.

[/quote]

I’m a small female and I’ve put on 10 pounds in the last month and a half or 2 months. Clean eating, lost half a dress size. I’ve also just came back from a half year break. This guy kind of sounds like a beginner so its perfectly fine that he gained 8 pounds.

To the poster. Don’t cut until your muscle mass is around where you want it to be for a while. Dieting sucks, don’t be eager to go on one :wink:

It also depends on your leanness before you started your bulk. If you were very lean, you’ll need initial fat gain to build muscle optimally. 4kgs in a month isn’t necessarily too much, even if a good deal of it is fat, if you started out very lean.

Even if you didn’t start out very lean, but you’re seeing strength and hypertrophy gains, and your body fat still seems under control to you, you’re okay.

Are you comfortable with your body and weight gain? I always have trouble adjusting to weight gain when I bulk, but then I get used to it and begin to enjoy focussing on strength gains and seeing new muscle growth.

[quote]Ciz wrote:
I’ve been bulking now for the last 4 weeks. In that 4 weeks I’ve gained 4 kgs. I’ve been eating pretty well and pretty clean. I worked out my calorie intake only needs to be 3,300 but I don’t know how much I’m taking in.

I just try to eat 4 or 5 solid food meals and 1 or 2 weight gain/whey shakes. Should I try to ease my calories back a little?

I’ve noticed I’ve grown but I can tell a fair bit is fat. Is it easy to ‘cut’ this fat once the bulk is over or should I still be careful watching my fat gain??

I don’t do cardio either. All comments or questions welcome.[/quote]

Try to keep track of how many calories your taking in from now on.

If you know your gaining too much fat then cut back a little. No need to go thru all that.

[quote]Ciz wrote:
…Is it easy to ‘cut’ this fat once the bulk is over or should I still be careful…[/quote]

Along with what’s already been said: there’s no need to get dimpled and jiggly, but if you’re eating enough to make good gains you’re not going to be ripped while doing it. Yes, the more muscle you gain the easier it will be to lose it when the time comes.

[quote]Ciz wrote:
I don’t do cardio either. All comments or questions welcome.[/quote]

just don’t over do it. I “bulked up” when I was 17 and gained 40 lbs in a few months. No juice, HIT workouts, all clean foods. I got fat, F A T. For the rest of my life I still have the excess skin in some areas from that bulk.

Building is good, just watch it bud.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Huh? wrote:
I worked out my calorie intake only needs to be 3,300 but I don’t know how much I’m taking in.

2lbs a week is too much? I don’t think so.[/quote]

Well in my own experience it was. I can’t speak for everyone though. I got into a right mess putting on about that much per week over a period of time. Way too much fat>muscle.

I don’t want to scare the author though. Those gains may be ok for him, he may better gainer than me or new to the gym, in which case is getting those awesome newbie gains.

He should definitely keep a food log though. It’s not hard to more than what your limit, especially if you like food.

[quote]chrisrodx wrote:
Ciz wrote:

just don’t over do it. I “bulked up” when I was 17 and gained 40 lbs in a few months. No juice, HIT workouts, all clean foods. I got fat, F A T. For the rest of my life I still have the excess skin in some areas from that bulk.

Building is good, just watch it bud.[/quote]

LOL at “bulking while doing a HIT workout”. You got fat? No shit.

Get a caliper and start monitoring your body fat %. If your weight goes up but the b.f. % stays the same (or gets lower), no worries. Otherwise, take action.

[quote]Huh? wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll try the food log. I think my body fat to start was about 12% (I could see the outline of my abs a little) but now I can tell there is more fat (still slightly visible). It will be interesting to see how many calories I’m taking in. again, thanks for the help.

[quote]texass wrote:
Huh? wrote:

I’m a small female and I’ve put on 10 pounds in the last month and a half or 2 months. Clean eating, lost half a dress size. I’ve also just came back from a half year break. This guy kind of sounds like a beginner so its perfectly fine that he gained 8 pounds.

To the poster. Don’t cut until your muscle mass is around where you want it to be for a while. Dieting sucks, don’t be eager to go on one ;)[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I’m pretty thin so whenever I think bulk, something clicks and I try to eat everything and then end up eating a bit too much, but I’ll keep bulking. I’ll try to that food log and see how I go.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
chrisrodx wrote:
Ciz wrote:

Building is good, just watch it bud.

LOL at “bulking while doing a HIT workout”. You got fat? No shit.[/quote]

Yeah I think that had a lot to do with it. More volume would have burned more calories no doupt. Live and learn.

[quote]florin wrote:
Get a caliper and start monitoring your body fat %. If your weight goes up but the b.f. % stays the same (or gets lower), no worries. Otherwise, take action.[/quote]

How do you expect to ever add any weight and not add some body fat?