T Nation

Bulk Season is Coming...

So i’ve been cutting all spring and summer, watching my cals and the whole nine yards. Since I’m going back to bulking up in the fall, as I would assume most are, what would be my best route to go. I’m thinking about going back on weight gainers and to keep it simple pretty much continuing to eat clean and just 3x my meal size. Would this be efficient ? Also I would be able to have more cheat meals during bulking, correct? Thanks
Bobby

Cheat away bro

[quote]SnatchBrosOrDie wrote:
So i’ve been cutting all spring and summer, watching my cals and the whole nine yards. Since I’m going back to bulking up in the fall, as I would assume most are, what would be my best route to go. I’m thinking about going back on weight gainers and to keep it simple pretty much continuing to eat clean and just 3x my meal size. Would this be efficient ? Also I would be able to have more cheat meals during bulking, correct? Thanks
Bobby[/quote]

You are going to triple your meals? is that what you are saying? if you have been “watching you cals and the whole nine yards” during cutting, why would you do something as arbitrary as “3x my meal size” just because you are going to gain?

I’m not saying you need to be as anal with calories/macros when you are trying to gain but at least figure out stuff like maintenance calories and shoot for that +500-700kcal per day.

There are basal metabolic rate calculators available all over the net but if you want to save some time I would start out by eating 18x your weight in lbs and adjust from there. Aim to gain 1 lbs per week … and remember you will probably not gain in a linear fashion.

Weight gainer - do you have problems gaining weight? most commercial weight gainers are crap.

If you absolutely cannot eat enough solid food to cover your calorie needs, then do yourself a favor and make your own healthier gainer shake with whey protein, nut butter, olive and/or coconut oil, flax seed, fruits, waxy maize/dextrose … hell even the addition of Oreo cookies would probably still make for a healthier shake than the commercial weight gainer garbage…

Search this site for good gainer shake recipes.

I was just generalizing but I have heard that a lot regarding weight gainers, I don’t really have trouble gaining weight but I feel the weight gainer just adds those extra cals for when trying to bulk up, I have a really fast metabolism and can pretty much eat for days but I’m also pretty active, running, basketball, etc and I have that during bulk season you have to sort of limit your activity .

But do you really think adding oreo cookies would be better? That soundss alot more fun and tastier too Lol

I was just generalizing but I have heard that a lot regarding weight gainers, I don’t really have trouble gaining weight but I feel the weight gainer just adds those extra cals for when trying to bulk up, I have a really fast metabolism and can pretty much eat for days but I’m also pretty active, running, basketball, etc and I have that during bulk season you have to sort of limit your activity .

But do you really think adding oreo cookies would be better? That soundss alot more fun and tastier too Lol[/quote]

No, I would not recommend Oreo cookies - it was just to describe just how bad some of the gainers can me. Use waxy maize/dextrose/malto, oats, fruits - especially berries if you need carbs in the gainer.

I make a shake consisting of 15 grams of whey protein, 19 grams of casein. 20 oz of almond milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter, a cup of frozen blueberries, a cup of raspberries, strawberries. 47 grams of dextrose carbs, two tablespoons of flax, and this orange labored sugar free electro light stuff. I add some more almond milk towards the end while mixing cause it’s thick. Been doing it for 3 months, haven’t figured out the calories and don’t really care… I just eat. And pay attention to my waist line :wink:

I know homemade gainers are alot better for you and taste pretty decent also.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
I know homemade gainers are alot better for you and taste pretty decent also.[/quote]

X2. Plus you can make them to fit your macros and to your taste.

[quote]Pride95 wrote:
I make a shake consisting of 15 grams of whey protein, 19 grams of casein. 20 oz of almond milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter, a cup of frozen blueberries, a cup of raspberries, strawberries. 47 grams of dextrose carbs, two tablespoons of flax, and this orange labored sugar free electro light stuff. I add some more almond milk towards the end while mixing cause it’s thick. Been doing it for 3 months, haven’t figured out the calories and don’t really care… I just eat. And pay attention to my waist line ;)[/quote]

yeah that sounds really good , i gotta look into self made gainers

[quote]Pride95 wrote:
I make a shake consisting of 15 grams of whey protein, 19 grams of casein. 20 oz of almond milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter, a cup of frozen blueberries, a cup of raspberries, strawberries. 47 grams of dextrose carbs, two tablespoons of flax, and this orange labored sugar free electro light stuff. I add some more almond milk towards the end while mixing cause it’s thick. Been doing it for 3 months, haven’t figured out the calories and don’t really care… I just eat. And pay attention to my waist line ;)[/quote]

yeah that sounds really good , i gotta look into self made gainers[/quote]

How about having some damn patience, acquiring some damn resourcefulness, and looking into reading some solid information from articles (there are only hundreds on this site) and books (only thousands out there) on how to design a diet rather than randomly multiplying your current daily caloric need or stuffing everything you can find down your gullet?

And those rebounds we speak of happen in those who are shredded to the bone, not just fairly lean.