T Nation

Bulk Phase to Full Body Routine?

Hey so iv completed my first bulk wich lasted for 4 months and iv been cutting for about 2 months now so iv been working out for about 6 months, and instead of finishing my diet i wanna put on more mass. So befor i did 4-day split and it worked really well for me, most of my friends tought i was on the juice so to speak.

Anyhow im kinda bored with the 4-split and want to try a 3-day week fullbody workout, and i read this article and it got me pretty convinced into trying it. And yea im all about the mass since i would like to compete as a bodybuilder in the future :wink:

so the routine will look something like this

Overhead Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps
Squats: 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Dumbbell inclein Press(Upper chest lacks some mass): 4 sets of 8 reps
Bent Over Barbell Rows: 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Dips 3 sets of 8 reps
Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 8 reps
Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 12 to 20 reps
Dumbell Shrugs: 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
Hanging Knee raises: 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps

so i will preform this routine on M/W/F

and on wednesdays im going to sawp the Squats for Deadlifts and the Hanging Knee Raises for Cable Crunshes

and for variety im going to each week rotate the exercises one step, but i will keep the compound movments as nr1 or as second each day such as Deadlifts / Squats & Benchpress whenever i feel my upperchest gets more mass

So do you think this routine will work? also when i start cutting again should i lower the volume to 3 sets instead of 4? and 2sets on the isolation exercises ?

Sorry if you had trouble understanding what i wrote, im from sweden by the way :wink:

If you want a critique then we will need more information about you. What are your stats (height, weight) and best lifts? What does your diet look like?

If you have only been "bulking for 4 months" and now you've been "cutting for 2 months" I would assume that you are pretty small? (not making fun just saying... 6 months isnt very long)

I am not really a fan of full body routines if your primary goal is putting on size. It is definitely not the optimal way to train when size gain is your main goal but if you're stuck on that then so be it. If you give me a little more info I'll let you know what i think (if you care to know)

If it worked really well, you should definitely change it.

What you have listed is NOT a total body workout, it is an upperbody workout plus some squats. Most TB workouts I've seen will typically look something like:

A: Olympic Lift
B1: Lower body
B2: Single-leg
C1: Upper push (horizontal)
C2: Upper pull (horizontal)
D3: Push (vertical)
D4: Pull (vertical)
E: Corework

I'm not saying this is THE ONLY WAY, but merely showing you a standard TBT template for comparison.

Personally, I would not recommend TBT for mass gaining either. I have done it with moderate success, but I will never do it again, as it was very taxing. Training for the cut, I will definitely go with at least 2 TBT sessions/week, but you should probably look at a push/pull, upper/lower, or bodypart split for hypertrophy based goals.

Ok so do you guys suggest il better stick with 4-split ? since it has been working for me, and im all about the mass as iv mentiond, i did this fullbody routine yesterday and im gonna finish this week, really was exausting, i was so close to throwing up all the time,

anyways here are some stats and pics of me if that is to any help

length: 196cm 6.5/6ft
weight: 90kgs 200lbs

this pic is befor i started working out in the start of september

and this is 5 months after starting, 1 month into cutting

i might be pulling my stomach in a bit on this one lols

first 3 months bulking i didnt care what i ate, i just ate ALOT of what was given to me, but after that i started to watch my intake of cals and proteins,

anyhow you guys think i should stick with split for max mass gain ?

I'm confused as to what you were cutting exactly. I don't see anything on your frame that you could possibly have cut. If your program was working for you (looks like you've made solid 5 months progress) KEEP GOING!! The worst thing you can do this early in your lifting career is jump from program to program. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Keep up the good work. Don't be shy either...start a training log on here.

ok thanks alot mate :wink:

well on the second pic i did pull my stomach in so thats probebly why

here il show you what i looked like right after my bulk

this is at 94kg's

anyways i wanna change my current split abit then,

befor i did

mondays: shoulders/triceps/abs
tuesdays: back/biceps
wednesdays: rest
thursdays: chest/forearms
fridays: legs/abs

anyway i could mix it up abit ? so to speak

and befor i used to do 4sets 12-8 reps on the bigger muscles and 3sets 12-8 reps on the smaller groups, is that ok? and when cutting should i decrese the volume abit ?

You dont look like the weight you posted. If your old routine was working fine, then why change it? If it aint broke dont fix it.

Ok so this is the split im going to be using from now on, what do you guys think about it ?

Day 1: Chest, biceps
Bench Press: 4x 8-12
Inclein DB: 4x 8-12
Flat DB: 4x 8-12
Inclein DB Flyes: 3x 8-12
Seated DB Curls: 3x 8-12
Preacher Curls: 3x 8-12
Concentration Curls: 3x 8-12

Day 2: Back, abs
DL's: 4x 6-7
Lat Pulldowns: 4x 8-12
Bent Over Rows: 4x 8-12
Seated Cable Rows: 4x 8-12
Hanging Knee Raises: 4x 8-12
Heavy Cable Crunshes: 4x 8-12

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Shoulders, Triceps
Smith Shoulder Press(front): 4x 8-12
Lateral Side Raises: 4x 8-12
Rear Delts Machine(Dont know name): 4x 8-12
Shrugs: 4x 8-12
Lying Overhead Extensions: 3x 8-12
Tricep Pushdown's: 3x 8-12
Rope Extensions: 3x 8-12

Day 5: Quads, Hamstrings, calves
Squats: 4x 8-10
Straight Leg DL's: 4x 8-12
Seated Leg Curls: 4x 8-12
Seated Calfraises: 4x 10-12

Day 6: Off

Day 7:Repeat cycle

By the way my upper chest is lacking abit should i remove (Flat DB's) and drop the weight and keep doing Incleins instead? reason why im doing BenchPress befor Incleins now is becuse in my old split i allways did Incleins first, just to switch it up alittle

If you wanna try a fullbody workout
Check out Chad Waterbury's
articles on this site.