T Nation

Bulk or Slow Gain?

Well there are a lot of coaches that believe in the bulk cut method, while that are others that reccomend slow gaining… what do you guys thinks?

go away.

I think it’s been proven that the “Don’t Bulk Over 9% BF” has been the most effective way to land a star spot on RMP.

Hope that helps.

To me bulking is a slow gain.

1 lb per week is slow IMO and you’re getting bigger (thus bulking).

Though I think by slow gain you’re probably implying make sure you keep body fat levels low as possible which I wouldn’t recommend

Seriously, how did you miss all the discussions on this?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

Though I think by slow gain you’re probably implying make sure you keep body fat levels low as possible which I wouldn’t recommend
[/quote]

i agree. if youre planning to go out and head over 15% then youre not being condusive to muscle growth youre justing lsapping on fat. but whatever enough with this dead horse.

Seriously this shit has been beaten to death. To the OP - just fucking eat, seriously.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

i agree. if youre planning to go out and head over 15% then youre not being condusive to muscle growth youre justing lsapping on fat. but whatever enough with this dead horse.[/quote]

Kinda hard to restrain myself from commenting on that one…

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[/quote]

Here’s the thing… save first year trainees, if someone put on 52 lbs in a year that would be INCREDIBLE if even half of that was muscle.

That is not slow gains as long as the person didn’t panic diet after 4-8 weeks and lose most of their gains because their belt got a little snug(most likely from a full stomach anyway).

In general,

One of these days I’m going to type up my thoughts on this and copy and paste it into every thread like this but for the cliff notes version

Eat A LOT(protein is important)
Use 2-4 week indicators to ensure growth
Use those same indicators to ensure you aren’t getting too fat for your own PERSONAL feelings on what is acceptable to walk around at(insert cardio into the picture here)
Adjust simple factors upwards or downwards from there based on that feedback you track
Do this for 12-48 months and don’t lose sight of the long term goal

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

i agree. if youre planning to go out and head over 15% then youre not being condusive to muscle growth youre justing lsapping on fat. but whatever enough with this dead horse.

Kinda hard to restrain myself from commenting on that one…[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

jehovasfitness wrote:

i agree. if youre planning to go out and head over 15% then youre not being condusive to muscle growth youre justing lsapping on fat. but whatever enough with this dead horse.[/quote]

Wow.

I guess the correct answer is slow gaining then… If your gaining 4 or 5lb per month and its mostly lean weight.

[quote]elano wrote:
I guess the correct answer is slow gaining then… If your gaining 4 or 5lb per month and its mostly lean weight.[/quote]

If you can’t think outside the box, find a new hobby. There are no specific rules for all people. If you gain more than 5lbs in a month, would you really put the breaks on?

I don’t see some of you making much progress because you sit and worry more about restrictions than you do how much muscle you are gaining. The top priority is not some obsession with body fat. the top priority is to gain muscle.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

There are no specific rules for all people. [/quote]

qft. This isn’t a black and white area. It’s not like lifting at 86% of your max will make you stronger but 84% won’t, or that getting 40% of your calories from carbs is ok but not 45%.

If you let your gain weight faster, chances are you’re gaining fat faster, but also gaining muscle faster. If you have an easy time losing fat, then this might be the best approach. If you hate cutting though, then a slow, “clean” bulk might be better.

You guys are missing the big picture here. The good news is the magic BF number has moved from 10% to 15%!!! We are making progress. lol

[quote]josh86 wrote:
You guys are missing the big picture here. The good news is the magic BF number has moved from 10% to 15%!!! We are making progress. lol[/quote]

Careful, we’re slowly turning into fantasy-feeder :wink:

You’re right, though…
If now people would only begin to realize that, actually, bodybuilding has something to do with that weird activity of “building muscle”, THEN we hit the jackpot…

This is Dave Tate at almost 20% body fat. Is it really that frightening to you to go above 10% bf (assuming you’re gaining muscle)?

20%? really? he looks leaner than that, but it all depends on how you store fat, I guess. BTW isn;t there a respected member of the T-cell who will call this guy “fat”?

And this is one reason i like powerlifters, they just focus on getting stronger…so there’s no danger of them not having intensity in their training. And (imo) as long as they don;t eat crap, they pack on plenty of muscle over time without looking morbidly obese. Someone like glenn Ross probably needs to tighten up his diet though.

[quote]brancron wrote:
This is Dave Tate at almost 20% body fat. Is it really that frightening to you to go above 10% bf (assuming you’re gaining muscle)?[/quote]

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
20%? really? he looks leaner than that, but it all depends on how you store fat, I guess. BTW isn;t there a respected member of the T-cell who will call this guy “fat”?

And this is one reason i like powerlifters, they just focus on getting stronger…so there’s no danger of them not having intensity in their training. And (imo) as long as they don;t eat crap, they pack on plenty of muscle over time without looking morbidly obese. Someone like glenn Ross probably needs to tighten up his diet though.

brancron wrote:
This is Dave Tate at almost 20% body fat. Is it really that frightening to you to go above 10% bf (assuming you’re gaining muscle)?

[/quote]

He looks like 20% to me… I store more fat around the belly but less in the arms…
Sure there are differences from person to person, but I believe that most people have no concept of the different bf values…