Bulk or Cut, Pictures Inside

I’ve done Rippetoes on and off for a year, got my squat up to 325, bench up to 230, military up to 160 and deadlifts up to 360. In the process I’ve put on 40 pounds and a lot of strength.

Right now I’m 6’4 225. My tanita scale is telling me I have over 25% bodyfat(not sure how accurate this is) and my belly hangs and looks pregnant if I relax it, but if I contract my abs, it looks ok.

I realize I still need to put on a lot of size in my upper body mainly and also need to lose a lot of fat to get the look I want(lean with a six pack and some nice solid muscle. Should I be bulking now then cut later once I have the muscle or cut first get real lean then slowly bulk based on my pictures.

Seriously how many damn threads about this are you going to make?

I was going to add it to the last one but this is a little different. I’ve decided to go away from the rippetoes and focus on bodybuilding on a upper lower split. I just want advice on if I should cut first or if I should bulk and put on more size first then cut

What makes you think you’re going to get a different response in the bb forum?

First…people who should “bulk” train way harder than you. That means no, you shouldn’t “bulk”…because you don’t seem to understand what intensity is…and you ask the same questions a few hundred times and don’t listen to the advice.

It doesn’t matter what someone like that does.

I wonder how many threads the OP will start just so he can ignore all the advice he’s given.

I think this is another one of those “maybe if you started lifting weights” threads.
Hmm…

Is this your fourth thread about the same thing???

There are a lot of experienced members posting in your threads and yet you still disrespectfully ignore them. What kind of response are you trying to illicit? Why even ask?

I’d suggest reading your other threads and the countless threads on this site. Although you will probably just ignore it anyway.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
First…people who should “bulk” train way harder than you. That means no, you shouldn’t “bulk”…because you don’t seem to understand what intensity is…and you ask the same questions a few hundred times and don’t listen to the advice.

It doesn’t matter what someone like that does.[/quote]

Hey X, just wanting to know for the future, but I hear you mention training with lots of intensity but not really sure how much intensity you mean. If I were to bulk while running 531 4 days a week, would that be enough intensity? What would you recommend to do if i was bulking with 531, or should I be doing another program?

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:

Hey X, just wanting to know for the future, but I hear you mention training with lots of intensity but not really sure how much intensity you mean. If I were to bulk while running 531 4 days a week, would that be enough intensity? What would you recommend to do if i was bulking with 531, or should I be doing another program?[/quote]

I have no idea what “531” is and truthfully, don’t care.

What I mean by intensity is this…when I am done with a set, especially for something like back or chest (assuming it is a heavier set and not a warm up), there may be a few seconds after that set where my heart is racing so fast and my arms are are either fatigued or reached failure that I may not even see straight. I hear from other people all of the time that they didn’t want to mess with me during my set because I looked like I was in my own little world and would hurt them.

They aren’t wrong…I may not hurt them, but I am in my own little world at least during that set.

This is shit that can’t just be explained in words…which is why so many newbs completely miss this part…because they are too focused on equations and specifics.

I know when I have given everything I have during a set. I feel it in my chest or while my hands are shaking afterwards. It’s in the sweat running past my eyes and the fact that I have to close my eyes for a second because of the lactic acid or pain.

This is shit you used to learn by training with other strong people. You can’t get that over the internet. Even watching Ronnie Coleman train in a video won’t let you know what that FEELS like…but you damn sure know it when it happens.

I really dont see much point in cutting unless you simply want to lose the pot belly. You have very little muscle underneath so I suggest that you work on increasing muscle mass so that you have someting respectable to cut down to.

Hey X, just wanting to know for the future, but I hear you mention training with lots of intensity but not really sure how much intensity you mean. If I were to bulk while running 531 4 days a week, would that be enough intensity? What would you recommend to do if i was bulking with 531, or should I be doing another program?[/quote]

What I mean by intensity is this…when I am done with a set, especially for something like back or chest (assuming it is a heavier set and not a warm up), there may be a few seconds after that set where my heart is racing so fast and my arms are are either fatigued or reached failure that I may not even see straight. I hear from other people all of the time that they didn’t want to mess with me during my set because I looked like I was in my own little world and would hurt them.

They aren’t wrong…I may not hurt them, but I am in my own little world at least during that set.

This is shit that can’t just be explained in words…which is why so many newbs completely miss this part…because they are too focused on equations and specifics.

I know when I have given everything I have during a set. I feel it in my chest or while my hands are shaking afterwards. It’s in the sweat running past my eyes and the fact that I have to close my eyes for a second because of the lactic acid or pain.

This is shit you used to learn by training with other strong people. You can’t get that over the internet. Even watching Ronnie Coleman train in a video won’t let you know what that FEELS like…but you damn sure know it when it happens.
[/quote]

I think this is a great description of an intangible aspect of training that most people will never “get.”

[/quote]

Ha I think he meant Wendler’s 5/3/1 program, he just chose a poor word before it (running).

The answer is continue lifting weight for a long time and clean up your diet.

[/quote]
Read this post OP.

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:

[/quote]

Ha I think he meant Wendler’s 5/3/1 program, he just chose a poor word before it (running).[/quote]

Yeah I did, lol sorry for confusion. But thanks for the response X

[/quote]

Wow most epic post I have read on the internets in a while. You have just made me realize how easy I’ve been taking it in the gym lately. Totally forgotten what it’s like to walk around the gym after completing one HELL of a set feeling the burning, the pain, feeling ridiculously pumped up, feeling indestructible, feeling like you could ravage every girl in the gym and then some, feeling bigger than the universe, feeling like you are the center of it all…

Got DAMN you just woke me up Prof, thank you.

This is something that I have been really focusing on. I can’t remember where I read it but it said, “train like there is something wrong in your head”. I used to have those days that stood out, but they were scattered. I’m trying to really get my head right when it comes time to train, every time I train. Its been helping, my numbers have been going up.