T Nation

Bulgarian Weightlifters and Injuries

Does anyone here know if the Bulgarians, under Abadjiev, suffered more injuries (especially lower back injuries) compared to other weightlifters, who trained using a periodised approach, lower intensities etc.?

I’ve been bitten by the bug to compete, and I’ve decided to take a very high frequency approach to training the lifts.

i read a ton on their style of training and nothing is ever said about injuries. i know in the60’s - 70’s - 80’s these guys were the best… other nations have copied their training and are good too, but the bulgarians are # 1.

I would recommend easing into “Bulgarian” training. Gradually increase the volume over time.

Go find some forums and q and a’s with John Broz. The joint he says is most at risk by this style of training is the wrists. Other than that yes ease into it, it’s taken me a while to work up to daily training. Its also taken more faith and discipline than any other style of training.

So, nobody heard of disproportionate amounts of lower back (career-ending or not) injuries or degeneration related to lifting close to your 1 RM a few times a day, every day?

I’m easing into it… DL 3x/week, squat 3x/week, but for squatting I began @~65% 1RM, doing sets of 5, and will add ~11 lb/month. Once a week I’ll do some sets of 3 with 45 more lb on the bar.
Just trying to get some extra volume with the squats, so that my body gets used to weights; in time, will also add circa-max squats more often.

criticalbench.com/bulgarian-weightlifting.htm

Interesting article I read on how to get into the Bulgarian method a while back.

Thank you very much, DD.

[quote]Sterneneisen wrote:
So, nobody heard of disproportionate amounts of lower back (career-ending or not) injuries or degeneration related to lifting close to your 1 RM a few times a day, every day?

I’m easing into it… [b]DL 3x/week[/b], squat 3x/week, but for squatting I began @~65% 1RM, doing sets of 5, and will add ~11 lb/month. Once a week I’ll do some sets of 3 with 45 more lb on the bar.
Just trying to get some extra volume with the squats, so that my body gets used to weights; in time, will also add [b]circa-max squats[/b] more often.[/quote]

Are you training for weightlifting or powerlifting?

Powerlifting. That’s why I posted in GAL.

BUT

I’m interested in injuries of weightlifters, not how do the powerlifts stack against the olympic lifts in term of drain on the CNS and the body, that’s why I didn’t post in the PL forum.

true Bulgarian training has a lot of injuries. Abadjiev would take 100s of professional lifters that had there whole life dedicated to the sport and stick them on his program. out of all the lifters he would find enough that would be able to survive the program and out lift the rest of the world. if a lifter came to him with an injury he told them that they weren’t meant to be a world champion and would just move on to the next lifter with potential to win.

And besides that most people that i know who use the method are always hurting in at least one part of the body. but to be fair they really don’t really know how to use the program.

[quote]boldar wrote:
true Bulgarian training has a lot of injuries. Abadjiev would take 100s of professional lifters that had there whole life dedicated to the sport and stick them on his program. out of all the lifters he would find enough that would be able to survive the program and out lift the rest of the world. if a lifter came to him with an injury he told them that they weren’t meant to be a world champion and would just move on to the next lifter with potential to win.

And besides that most people that i know who use the method are always hurting in at least one part of the body. but to be fair they really don’t really know how to use the program. [/quote]

Did Abadjiev tell you that? I ask because I train with him. And hurting from injury is very different from hurting from adaptation.

To the OP: Broz has adapted the system to suit his needs while Abadjiev has modified his system over time as well. Both are grounded in the principle of frequent maximal attempts but the result is two different applications. Neither is ‘better’ per se since each man has valid reasons for what theyre doing. Broz has a powerlifting template that applies Abadjiev’s method but I have not seen anyone use it intelligently or long enough to make it work.

[quote]GqArtguy wrote:
And hurting from injury is very different from hurting from adaptation.[/quote]

Was wondering how long you were going to take to weigh in here. This ^ is very true.

[quote]GqArtguy wrote:
To the OP: Broz has adapted the system to suit his needs while Abadjiev has modified his system over time as well. Both are grounded in the principle of frequent maximal attempts but the result is two different applications. Neither is ‘better’ per se since each man has valid reasons for what theyre doing. Broz has a powerlifting template that applies Abadjiev’s method but I have not seen anyone use it intelligently or long enough to make it work. [/quote]

The success of any training system is as dependent on who is implementing it, how they are implementing it and the athletes they are implementing it with, as it is dependent on the principles of the system itself.

OP, have you considered/tried anything like Sheiko? Quite a lot of frequency and volume, though relatively low intensity.

Thanks, I’ll look some more into it.

OP: my PMs dont work (I can receive them but cant send them). Some of his ex lifters have stopped by or they have chatted with Abadjiev via skype (like Vanev, Verbanov, etc.) and their spines are fine. If you dont have a degenerative condition and brace, youll be ok.

GqArtguy, a HUGE, heartfelt “Thank you”!

I adapted what I do from Broz with a few other influences, but what I did to increase my frequency was just spread everything out. When I started I did a heavy single every day, but I left out the volume except for 2 days. I gradually worked to adding the volume in. The squatting isn’t that big of a deal or that hard to do, but I had issues when I tried this with the lifts. If you’re doing it for powerlifting, then squatting is the main thing followed by speed pulls for deadlifts and benching 3 days a week. you also have to add lots of upper back work to balance out.

Thanks. For now I’m easing in with the benching, DLing seriously, and squatting the rest of the time… So, DL, bench, squat. Row and upper back work, rotator cuff and isolated delt work, some curls for good measure.

[quote]GqArtguy wrote:
OP: my PMs dont work (I can receive them but cant send them). Some of his ex lifters have stopped by or they have chatted with Abadjiev via skype (like Vanev, Verbanov, etc.) and their spines are fine. If you dont have a degenerative condition and brace, youll be ok. [/quote]

I think I’ve read somewhere before that while they haven’t had spinal issues per se, lifelong international caliber weightlifters have experienced some compression of the spine from the constant loading of heavy weights over the years. This wasn’t associated with any particular training system, just in general, if I recall. Thoughts?

I’ve also read that from one of Eric Cressey’s article.