Bulgarian Squats

What do you guys prefer the BB or the DB’s?..Also is it just me…but this exercise is A BITCH!!!..like holy shit…i did an upper body workout and for fun i thought id try bulgarian squats and stuff…i did 105lbs only!!! for 10 reps, each leg…and i was friggen breathin like a mother, its deifnatly hard…i didnt think that hard though…kinda messed up. What about you guys?

dl-

[quote]dl- wrote:
What do you guys prefer the BB or the DB’s?..Also is it just me…but this exercise is A BITCH!!!..like holy shit…i did an upper body workout and for fun i thought id try bulgarian squats and stuff…i did 105lbs only!!! for 10 reps, each leg…and i was friggen breathin like a mother, its deifnatly hard…i didnt think that hard though…kinda messed up. What about you guys?

dl-[/quote]

I agree totally, Bulgarian split squats I think are THE hardest exercise (at least for me) in terms of my muscles being friend and being out of breath. I usually follow DeFranco’s advice and follow up heavy bilateral work with unilateral work, which is usually the Bulgarians. I prefer dumbells for two reasons:

1.) Extra grip work
2.) A lot of times by the end of the sets I start to get lightheaded and a little dizzy and my coordination starts to falter. I’m pretty sure if I had a barbell on my back I’d fall over haha.

I think these are the perfect compliment to posterior-chain dominant heavy exercises (such as PL or oly squats or deadlifts) and are great for athletes.