Bulgarian Method Log and Results

Hi I’m new to T-Nation. I’ll be writing about my experiences and results on the bulgarian method. First some information about me. I’m a powerlifter from Slovenia competing in 165 pund weight class( teen 18-19). My last total from 17. october 2015 is 500kg (1102 pounds): 200kg (441 pounds) squat with wraps, 100kg bench press (220 pounds) and 200kg deadlift.

I started the bulgarian method 23. october and since then my bench went up to 107.5kg (237 pounds) and my unwraped squat from 180kg (397 pounds) to 187.5kg (413 pounds).
I will post as frequently as I can. I’m sorry for any grammatic errors english is not my first language.

[quote]coldmanlifting wrote:
Hi I’m new to T-Nation. I’ll be writing about my experiences and results on the bulgarian method. First some information about me. I’m a powerlifter from Slovenia competing in 165 pund weight class( teen 18-19). My last total from 17. october 2015 is 500kg (1102 pounds): 200kg (441 pounds) squat with wraps, 100kg bench press (220 pounds) and 200kg deadlift.

I started the bulgarian method 23. october and since then my bench went up to 107.5kg (237 pounds) and my unwraped squat from 180kg (397 pounds) to 187.5kg (413 pounds).
I will post as frequently as I can. I’m sorry for any grammatic errors english is not my first language.[/quote]

Stop doing the bulgarian method. It’s way too early to even think about doing something like that. Do a normal program.

1 Like

Just be careful. The Bulgarian method has a habit of chewing lifters up and spitting them out in pieces.

Those aren’t bad numbers, but they’re far from Elite. If you’re worried you aren’t as strong as you think you should be, give it time. Better to get stronger slowly and steadily for many years than get some small strength gains quickly and then break.

I know your lifts have gone up from your meet in a short time, but you should know that the increase is probably nothing to do with your training from the last couple of weeks. You probably just got stronger for the meet, had a rest after the meet and came back stronger.

Also, start a training log in your hub. That’s the best place to document your training.

Since when is a 2.5x bw squat not almost elite??? Dafuq do you smoke?

I don’t know any one who considers a 2.5x bw squat elite especially in wraps. Atleast not that’s a good powerlifter lol. Unless dude weighs 300 plus 2.5x bw squat or pull is an intermediate lifter if that. With that being said OP you are coming along nicely. I don’t suggest going this route though.

1 Like

I never said Elite. I said close to elite. A 3x bw is elite. Elite doesn’t mean top 3 in the IPF.

I could give two fucks about the IPF and 3x bw in wraps isn’t even top 50 in classes 220 and under. You can hold on to what ever number makes you feel better about your self but it’s not elite lol. Maybe elite compared to general population but come on man. I’m not even elite and I have squat 3x bw for sets of 5-8 lol.

1 Like

Guys, 2015 thread where the OP posted once…

I meant without wraps. I would like to see you squat 3x your bw for sets of 8. Secondly if you can squat 3x your bw for a set of 8 you must or are probably in the top 5 on the IPF which I doubt actually. Also, instead of trying to act like you are the man and you have no limits maybe you should think more straight before you make any meaningful post. Brett Gibbs squatted 3.4x his btw. I hope he is elite to you. Also an intermediate is someone who makes weekly progression. I would like to see him squat 2.5 kg more every week with those lifts. Not many people understand what an intermediate lifter is yet it’s pretty well formulated in Rippetoes book.

Well his lifts are in wraps lol. But for giggles

815 for @220bw walking around. So when it comes to squatting I’m pretty good. Not elite in my opinion but pretty good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPBIh8HAAme/

Have a 700 for 3x3 I’ll find in a bit for you which is well over 3x bw for me. I know all too well what an intermediate lifter is and 500lbs squat for a 200lbs man is pretty intermediate. As for the IPF once again fuck the IPF lol. As for acting like I am the man I already said I am not elite at all so not sure where you are getting that from haha. So sorry my idea of what is an elite lifter is so much more than yours lol. Oh and fuck Rippetoe too lol when did he become the be all end all of what an elite lifter is or isn’t?

My bad I was wrong it’s 725 for 3x3 after my main work. But I’ll bow out of the conversation as apparently my opinion is too harsh for this thread. OP do what you like but I suggest going a different route.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOQuKsgDrs2/

No, it has actually not much to do with how much they lift but more how they progress. Body ratios are a good start to determine if they belong to a certain class. A 2.5x+ squatter is usually in the ADVANCED territory. If they don’t increase their squat by 40-60 kg a year they aren’t intermediate anymore. Which will be unlikely if a 500 lbs squatter will make that kind of progression. Also nice squat.

There’s a good reason for Wilks instead of multiples of bodyweight - it varies a lot as you move up through the weight classes. Looking at the results from 2017 IPF Worlds (just to piss off @Reed), everyone except one guy in the 59kg class is squatting over 3xbodyweight. There are several guys squatting close to 4xbodyweight. In the 105kg class the top 4 guys are squatting right around 3x bodyweight, with a couple others just behind. In the 120kg class, only Dennis Cornelius and Mohammed Bouafia are squatting over 3x their weight. And nobody in the 120+ class is squatting anywhere close to 3xbw.

Knee wraps are a variable that will throw off any sort of definition of “elite”, as will monolifts and different standards of squat depth.

1 Like