Bulgarian Method for Powerlifting

Oh. you can train every day. If it is the optimal route is another question. I’ve had some decent success with Smolov S Alpha combined with heavy singles before the volume work, ie. squats every second day.

It’s all about managing intensity and volume. It is very easy to do too much. And it is also a question about if you have a life outside the gym. If you do, then probably you need to have a brain that works too. If you feel constantly like a zoombie, you are useless in ordinary life, even if you succeed in the gym.

– Stallion

I’ll put a different approach than most of the other people that have posted thus far.

Although the ‘bulgarian system’ was designed for the OLY lifts, I don’t see why it couldn’t be adapted to fit into another format such as powerlifting.

I did this system with some OLY lifts over the summer as well (Back squat, front squat, paused back squats, to emulate the catch in the clean, Snatch pulls and clean pulls) I alternated each squat day with a pull day, and it worked great! all my lifts went up drasitcally, and fast at first.

Do remember that even the, supposedely, drugged-up bulgarians took a ‘deload’ every 4th week, where they only worked to the max single, but no reps afterward.

Since the summer I have switched back to Powerlifting and…bodybuilding… =O so needless to say I have pretty much dropped the system.

Please take notice that from personal and friendly experience, when you decide to switch from this high frequency/volume plan, you will be humbled. Your numbers WILL drop, just because you won’t be able to provide the stimulus that which the body has adapted.

So like lots of others here have said, it is not OPTIMAL over time. Unless you plan to keep with the same system for a LOOOOOONG time.

But it makes you feel like a king while you’re doing it. =)

Just my 2 cents!

Alderslodge