Built like a Badass

Time to try and keep a training-log going again. Tried a few months ago, but thanks to a big load at work training had to pass.

Still alot to do at work, so like the washed up meathead I am (former competing IPF-powerlifter) I figured Defrancos program had to fit me perfect. I will give it a try for the 12 weeks and see how it all goes.

What looks good from my point is the mix of max-effort lifting, big variety, and some conditioning :slight_smile:

I choose Squat on the lower body days, as this has always been my favourite exercise of the big three. Took a day last week to find my current PR:

BW: 69,9kg
Benchpress: 110kg
Chins: 20 reps
Squat: 140kg

Pretty low numbers compared to the all time PRs of mine, but thats a few years ago now.

Had my first workout yesterday, so will go on and log that now.

(If anyone has experience with this program, please speak up :))

Day 1, Week 1: Upper Body

1.Benchpress:
10xBar
5x40kg
3x55kg
2x70kg
8x80kg
6x85kg
7x90kg

2.Flat DB-Press:
23x17,5kg
17x17,5kg

3a. Seated overhand grip cable rows: 4x15 (35kg, easy)
b. Cable triceps pushdown straight bar: 4x15 (20kg HEAVY)

4a. DB Shrugs (2sec hold): 3x15 (27,5kg heavy)
b. DB Lateral rise: 3x15 (7,5kg perfect)

1. BB-complex (deadlift/bent rows/hang cleans/pushpress/back squat): 2x10 (90sec pause) Tried with 40kg, wey to heavy, had to take just the bar on the last set.

Comment: First week will offcourse be a little feeler. An insane pump from the high-rep and the finisher was truly pain. Tried to keep the recomended restperiod of 3-5minutes on the ME-lift and 1-2 minutes on the accessory.

I’ve got that book, it looks like a solid program. Funny how it’s directed to older athletes, but I can think of 5 young guys right now that would gain a ton from using a program that has some actual work in it.

nice! I just started WS4SB 3 which seems almost identical so I’ll be following along

Day 2, Week 1: Lower Body

1.DB Squat jumps, holding 5kg db: 4x6

2.Squat:
2x10xBar
5x50kg
3x70kg
2x90kg
8x100kg
6x107,5kg
4x115kg

3a.45 Degree Backraise (10kg on the neck): 3x15
b. Seated MB Twists w/feet of ground (MB 4kg) 3x20 ea.side

1. Timed one-mile run on treadmill: 09.05minutes

Comment: Enjoyed the squat-jumps, Squats was easy, but the timed mile run, DAMN. I`m in bad shape, lol. Clearly been years since I last took out my running-shoes. I even used 5 minutes just to understand how the god damn treadmill worked. I expect this time to get lower already next week.

What seems a little od to me with this program is how little work on the legs it has, and I dont like having to choose between deadlift and squats. Ill give it the first few weeks to see, but if I think it is to little, I might add an extra day the weeks I have the time to deadlift a little and maby add some small work on the hamstrings.

Week 1, day 3: Upper Body

1. Chinups: 30 reps
    8-8-8-6

2a. Front Lat Pulldown (Wide overhand grip): 25x40kg, 20x40kg
b. Standing DB Military Press: 20x12,5kg 15x12,5kg

3a. Rolling Triceps extensions: 4x8 - 12,5kg
b. Hammer Curls (both arms at same tame): 4x8 - 12,5kg

1. Core Circut x2
    a. Toe Touches x 20
    b. Bicycle x 30 total
    c. Sideplank x 30sec each side

2. Timed 100-pushups: 5 minutes 54 seconds

Comment: First of all, had to start this week with the last Training day of last week since my weekend got fucked upt thanks to work. Looked at the program and figured it wasnt so bad. So I use this week to get back to a rythm. One thing to know about Joe Defrancos program is high reps and INSANE pump. Its clear that in my decade with iron Ive never pushed over 12 reps. It feels good tough, when yourè finish, lol. Both superset where okay, can move up a notch this week, but the core-circut was really bad, its clear that I need more training there to. Pushups were embarrasing, thought that would be piece of cake, but started to high and the lactic acid took a hold on me. That better be better at the end of the week :slight_smile:

Week 2, Day 1: Upper Body

1.Benchpress:
10xBar
5x40kg
3x55kg
2x70kg
7x82,5kg
5x87,5kg
6x92,5kg

2.Flat DB-Press:
32x17,5kg
23x17,5kg

3a. Seated overhand grip cable rows: 4x12 (45kg, perfect)
b. Cable triceps pushdown straight bar: 4x12 (20kg perfect)

4a. DB Shrugs (2sec hold): 3x12 (30kg perfect)
b. DB Lateral rise: 3x12 (8kg easy)

1. BB-complex (deadlift/bent rows/hang cleans/pushpress/back squat): 3x10 (90sec pause) 25kg.

Comment: Really late workout tonight, wasnt finished until 15minutes past midnight, lol! But the job got done. Was hoping to hit seven in benchpress, 32 reps in DB-press was a new experience. Manage to actually do the BB-complex with good form, will go a little heavier next time, but they are rally pain. For those of you out there that read this log, and havent tried Defrancos BB-complex, try it, it`s pain :slight_smile:

Day 2, Week 2: Lower Body

1.DB Squat jumps, holding 7kg db: 4x6

2.Squat:
2x10xBar
5x50kg
3x70kg
2x90kg
7x105kg
5x112,5kg
3x120kg

3a.45 Degree Backraise (15kg on the neck): 3x12
b. Seated MB Twists w/feet of ground (MB 4kg) 3x15 ea.side

1. Timed one-mile run on treadmill: 07.31minutes

Comment: Another waaaaaay to late workout. Starting at midnight is not ideal so the least. But came through it, so can`t complain to much, just turned on the autopilot. What was positive here was the one-mile run, about one and a half minutes faster than last week. But started way to fast so had 5minutes flat out on the floor when I had finished.