T Nation

Built for Bad: Major Props CT

I want to thank you for Built for Bad, it was just what the doctor ordered, almost literally.

I have been struggling to train all my big lifts, particularly the squat, and high pull, with enough intensity and volume. This most certainly fits the bill, and it fits my time frame.

I’ve got three questions for you as I’ve done two days of it:

1. Is it OK to substitute B/O Rows for Lat Pull? Due to equipment constraints, my Lat Pull 100% will exceed the resistance available soon, and my pull-up bar isn’t available (its right about where my squat bar is…)

2. Would taking an off day in the middle of the week have adverse effects on strength/size gains?

3. What impact would getting 4 instead of 5 sessions in a week have? I know that it isn’t optimal, and it isn’t what you did, just wondering just in case something comes up.

[quote]defenderofTruth wrote:
I want to thank you for Built for Bad, it was just what the doctor ordered, almost literally.

I have been struggling to train all my big lifts, particularly the squat, and high pull, with enough intensity and volume. This most certainly fits the bill, and it fits my time frame.

1. Is it OK to substitute B/O Rows for Lat Pull? Due to equipment constraints, my Lat Pull 100% will exceed the resistance available soon, and my pull-up bar isn’t available (its right about where my squat bar is…)

2. Would taking an off day in the middle of the week have adverse effects on strength/size gains?

3. What impact would getting 4 instead of 5 sessions in a week have? I know that it isn’t optimal, and it isn’t what you did, just wondering just in case something comes up.

[/quote]

1. Well… technically it’s okay… but with the deadlift and high pull in there it will become very taxing on the lower back.

2. No that’s fine. I used a 5 on 2 off split because I trained in the Biotest gym during business hours. But in reality I prefer not to have 2 off days in a row

3. Hard to say exactly what would be the impact… anywhere between 10 and 20% less gains would be my guess.

Maybe instead of doing bent over rows it would be wise to do an inverted row variation to give the lower back a little break. Just a thought.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Maybe instead of doing bent over rows it would be wise to do an inverted row variation to give the lower back a little break. Just a thought.[/quote]

It’s kinda hard to had weight on an inverted row to accomodate the 5-4-3-2-1 scheme though

I’m using the PL Squat instead of the DL…interesting reason why, though.

I’ve had some lower back issues (sacro-illiac joint is compressed on the right side). In terms of pain and ROM, the PL Squat is the only posterior-chain movement that 1) I can get the full ROM without pain, and 2) actually helps the pain in the back go away.

I’ve been able to do scrape-the-rack rows after DL without any pain prior to starting this, hence my question.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[/quote]

1. Well… technically it’s okay… but with the deadlift and high pull in there it will become very taxing on the lower back.

2. No that’s fine. I used a 5 on 2 off split because I trained in the Biotest gym during business hours. But in reality I prefer not to have 2 off days in a row

3. Hard to say exactly what would be the impact… anywhere between 10 and 20% less gains would be my guess.[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll see if the BO Row impacts my back any.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Maybe instead of doing bent over rows it would be wise to do an inverted row variation to give the lower back a little break. Just a thought.[/quote]

It’s kinda hard to had weight on an inverted row to accomodate the 5-4-3-2-1 scheme though[/quote]

The inverted row was my first thought as well, but I also realized adding resistance to is very difficult. Seeing as my gym is my basement, I’m looking into a way to jerry-rig a pull up station somehow…

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

It’s kinda hard to had weight on an inverted row to accomodate the 5-4-3-2-1 scheme though[/quote]

The inverted row was my first thought as well, but I also realized adding resistance to is very difficult. Seeing as my gym is my basement, I’m looking into a way to jerry-rig a pull up station somehow…[/quote]

Actually when I did ring rows I would add resistance by using a the largest belt (weight belt) that I would use to strap on weight to my chest. Worked decently until I reached about 45lbs (a 25lbs plate + two 10lbs plates). I’m pretty sure I could have added two 25lbs plates and two 10lbs plates but my own weight belt isn’t big enough.

Chest supported rows?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Chest supported rows?[/quote]

One of the movements I hate the most. I don’t like how it compresses my sternum

I’m sure I’ve seen a video of someone doing inverted rows with bands (attached to the floor and around the shoulders) for adding resistance.

[quote]SirValeq wrote:
I’m sure I’ve seen a video of someone doing inverted rows with bands (attached to the floor and around the shoulders) for adding resistance.[/quote]

Yes, I’ve done that, works decently, but still doesn’t work for the 5-4-3-2-1 scheme since you need incremental loading

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

The inverted row was my first thought as well, but I also realized adding resistance to is very difficult. Seeing as my gym is my basement, I’m looking into a way to jerry-rig a pull up station somehow…[/quote]

Actually when I did ring rows I would add resistance by using a the largest belt (weight belt) that I would use to strap on weight to my chest. Worked decently until I reached about 45lbs (a 25lbs plate + two 10lbs plates). I’m pretty sure I could have added two 25lbs plates and two 10lbs plates but my own weight belt isn’t big enough.
[/quote]

I elevate my feet and then use chains of varying sizes and weights.

[/quote]

1. No that’s fine. I used a 5 on 2 off split because I trained in the Biotest gym during business hours. But in reality I prefer not to have 2 off days in a row

[/quote]

Does this mean that it would be acceptable to run this program on Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat with Thur and Sun off?

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:

[/quote]

1. No that’s fine. I used a 5 on 2 off split because I trained in the Biotest gym during business hours. But in reality I prefer not to have 2 off days in a row

[/quote]

Does this mean that it would be acceptable to run this program on Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat with Thur and Sun off? [/quote]

yes

Went in here to ask the exact same question as to frequency/days off. Good news for those of us that don’t work 9-5. Thanks CT, can’t wait to start this next week.

This program makes me think traditional strength programs like SS and 5x5 variations are really too conservative, at least for body shaping purposes. I mean, 3x5 bench press once a week vs. 5/4/3/2/1 5x a week. They were so keen on recovery/overtraining and emphaiszed compound movements 3x a week yet CT has us doing seemingly double/triple volume via daily workouts. And in circuit/high intensity form!

I wonder why they prescribed so little volume. And minimal upper body development (at least for me). Even madcow’s “intermediate” 5x5 has you ramping up by 5’s and only a light/medium/heavy day three times a week where clearly the body can get results doing heavy/heavy/heavy/heavy/heavy day a week…this should really replace some of those suboptimal strength programs. Thoughts?

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
This program makes me think traditional strength programs like SS and 5x5 variations are really too conservative, at least for body shaping purposes. I mean, 3x5 bench press once a week vs. 5/4/3/2/1 5x a week. They were so keen on recovery/overtraining and emphaiszed compound movements 3x a week yet CT has us doing seemingly double/triple volume via daily workouts. And in circuit/high intensity form!

I wonder why they prescribed so little volume. And minimal upper body development (at least for me). Even madcow’s “intermediate” 5x5 has you ramping up by 5’s and only a light/medium/heavy day three times a week where clearly the body can get results doing heavy/heavy/heavy/heavy/heavy day a week…this should really replace some of those suboptimal strength programs. Thoughts? [/quote]

I’ve done SS and 5x5 as part of injury rehab or when I was a beginner. I don’t think a program like CT’s would apply to a beginner because performing these movements 5x a week could be an injury waiting to happen for a novice that doesn’t have their form down. That said, I’d consider myself an intermediate lifter and performing compounds 4-5x a week is much easier on my joints than something 3x a week with high volume, or something 5x a week of lots of isolation movements.

I think any program is just another tool in the toolbox and should be used as such.

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:

I wonder why they prescribed so little volume. And minimal upper body development (at least for me). Even madcow’s “intermediate” 5x5 has you ramping up by 5’s and only a light/medium/heavy day three times a week where clearly the body can get results doing heavy/heavy/heavy/heavy/heavy day a week…this should really replace some of those suboptimal strength programs. Thoughts? [/quote]

SS is 5 x 5 3 times a week… so is the traditional Bill Starr 5x5 method… I think that both are actually very good programs, especially for beginners. They are in no way too conservative.

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:

SS is 5 x 5 3 times a week… so is the traditional Bill Starr 5x5 method… I think that both are actually very good programs, especially for beginners. They are in no way too conservative.[/quote]

I’m not sure about the percentages of these two programs, but with them, you’re looking at 75 reps in 3 workouts, which is the same as Built for Bad in a week. The only difference would be percentages. If you take the total weight lifted in B4B (multiply weight on bar times reps, add all the sets together), and compare it with the total weight lifted in SS or 5x5 (assuming 80%), you’re looking at more relative weight lifted in a 5x5 scheme over the course of a week. In that regard, they are not very “conservative”, and would include more volume.