Built A Home Gym

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

That’s a great fucking idea. Nice work.[/quote]

Thanks. Stay tuned. For deadlifts, I made the first parallel grip deadlift bar. Before you say “trap bar”, bear in mind that my bar still follows the same path as a traditional deadlift. [/quote]

Do tell.[/quote]

I love deadlifts. However, since my working weights have broken into the 500s, I am more and more aware of my supinated hand. I am scared of popping a bicep tendon, the expensive surgery that follows, and then the recovery. I have researched how to avoid this while using a mixed grip, however the risks are still there. There is the double overhand with the hook grip, however I really donâ??t feel like crushing my thumbs under the heavy barbell. Call me a pansy. I donâ??t care. The way I see it, who cares what grip I use to pull big weight as long as I am relying only on my grip.

In my ignorant opinion (not educated in orthopedics), the parallel grip is naturally very strong. Your palms naturally face the centerline of your body when you let your arms hang by your sides. I also think that the particular orientation of your joints and muscles in a parallel grip allows for a stronger grip compared to double overhand or mixed. Also, like the mixed grip the parallel grip also removes the tendency of the bar to try to roll out of your hands. Lastly, the parallel grip is symmetrical and like the double overhand, you will be positioned a bit higher compared to the mixed grip.

That said, I thought of how to incorporate a parallel grip into the deadlifts. Sure, there is the trap bar, but it follows a different path compared to a straight barbell. As an experiment, I made some handles using some old dumbbell handles I had and attached them to my deadlift bar. Since these handles are roughly 3â?? above the deadlift bar (centerline to centerline) I made a small 3â?? thick platform to stand on. Tomorrow will be the first time I use this. If it works well, I will post a separate thread on it.

[quote]axisT6 wrote:
Since these handles are roughly 3" above the deadlift bar (centerline to centerline) I made a small 3" thick platform to stand on. Tomorrow will be the first time I use this. If it works well, I will post a separate thread on it.
[/quote]
I remember a couple years ago that a guy ran his barbell through a pair of olympic rings and did basically the same thing. My concern then was that they’d slide laterally, but otherwise it made a lot of sense.

I think some clamps around the barbell, attached to the handles with some way to swivel, would probably allow the most “natural” hand positions.

Curious how well this works for you. Also curious how much it alters your bar path and form since the bar’s a few inches lower at every point. You may find the bar hits your knees now.

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

I love deadlifts. However, since my working weights have broken into the 500s, I am more and more aware of my supinated hand. I am scared of popping a bicep tendon, the expensive surgery that follows, and then the recovery. I have researched how to avoid this while using a mixed grip, however the risks are still there. There is the double overhand with the hook grip, however I really donâ??t feel like crushing my thumbs under the heavy barbell. Call me a pansy. I donâ??t care. The way I see it, who cares what grip I use to pull big weight as long as I am relying only on my grip.

[/quote]

Ever consider straps?

Anyone think to use tall jack stands? I might lack some stability if you slam the bar back down, but they’re cheap vs. a rack. Just need a bar, an adjustable bench, and some weights.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

I love deadlifts. However, since my working weights have broken into the 500s, I am more and more aware of my supinated hand. I am scared of popping a bicep tendon, the expensive surgery that follows, and then the recovery. I have researched how to avoid this while using a mixed grip, however the risks are still there. There is the double overhand with the hook grip, however I really don�¢??t feel like crushing my thumbs under the heavy barbell. Call me a pansy. I don�¢??t care. The way I see it, who cares what grip I use to pull big weight as long as I am relying only on my grip.

[/quote]

Ever consider straps?
[/quote]

Yes, however the goal is to rely on grip strength only.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Anyone think to use tall jack stands? I might lack some stability if you slam the bar back down, but they’re cheap vs. a rack. Just need a bar, an adjustable bench, and some weights. [/quote]

What?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

That said, I thought of how to incorporate a parallel grip into the deadlifts. Sure, there is the trap bar, but it follows a different path compared to a straight barbell. As an experiment, I made some handles using some old dumbbell handles I had and attached them to my deadlift bar. Since these handles are roughly 3�¢?? above the deadlift bar (centerline to centerline) I made a small 3�¢?? thick platform to stand on. Tomorrow will be the first time I use this. If it works well, I will post a separate thread on it.
[/quote]

POGTFO[/quote]

coming…

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

I love deadlifts. However, since my working weights have broken into the 500s, I am more and more aware of my supinated hand. I am scared of popping a bicep tendon, the expensive surgery that follows, and then the recovery. I have researched how to avoid this while using a mixed grip, however the risks are still there. There is the double overhand with the hook grip, however I really don�?�¢??t feel like crushing my thumbs under the heavy barbell. Call me a pansy. I don�?�¢??t care. The way I see it, who cares what grip I use to pull big weight as long as I am relying only on my grip.

[/quote]

Ever consider straps?
[/quote]

Yes, however the goal is to rely on grip strength only. [/quote]

I cannot say I understand but I wish you luck.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Anyone think to use tall jack stands? I might lack some stability if you slam the bar back down, but they’re cheap vs. a rack. Just need a bar, an adjustable bench, and some weights. [/quote]

You’re talking about using jack stands to rack your weights on? That’s Darwin Award type shit.

I cannot say I understand but I wish you luck.
[/quote]

Straps supplement your grip. What I am trying to do is rely only on my forearm muscles to keep my fingers wrapped around the bar.

Here is my deadlift experiment:

I will post up tomorrow on how it went.

dude. oh dude. no, no, no, no, no…dude.

You have the shit impressed out of me up until this point.

Spend $120.00 on Amazon with free shipping and get a Trap/Hex bar and call it good.

You are going to spend a shitload more for your orthopedic surgeries if you use this…

oh oh oh dude.

Hmmmmmmm, I kind of like it.

I do trap bar DL and the weight isn’t centered in your hand. As long as you have room to move your hands fore and aft, these attachments could work.

I’ve thought about something similar, but the attachment would look like a subtle arc.

Awful ms paint to follow…

The black is a cross section of a bar, the red is the attachment. Two would be needed. I think the arc would make for a more comfortable grip.

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:

Spend $120.00 on Amazon with free shipping and get a Trap/Hex bar and call it good.

You are going to spend a shitload more for your orthopedic surgeries if you use this…

oh oh oh dude.[/quote]

Why do you think this is an injury waiting to happen?

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:

oh oh oh dude.[/quote]

Why do you think this is an injury waiting to happen?
[/quote]

With a conventional DL you are pulling up and back, trap bar DL are more of a cross between a squat and DL with the movement more vertical.

The weight naturally shifts towards your centerline with this grip. IMO you are going to be fighting the bar.

I think there is something missed here. I am not trying to combine a traditional deadlift and a trap bar deadlift. I am trying to perform a traditional deadlift with a parallel grip.

I used this configuration this morning. I took a video of myself on a set where I was pulling 445lb. Form was good. If you were to draw a line from my shoulders to the bar, it would have been straight. My grip was solid all throughout the work out. The overall feel was great as I had the grip integrity of mixed grip along with the symmetry provided by the parallel grip. The bar rode against the front of my legs just like a traditional deadlift.

A quick measure showed me these handles along with the mini-platform provided a 1" deficit. Don’t think I noticed.

All said I think I will end up buying a trap bar and adding an attachment such that it tracks like a regular barbell while doing deadlifts. The reason for this is because with a trap bar, I will be gripping around the bar centerline as opposed to a couple inches above it.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Hmmmmmmm, I kind of like it.

I do trap bar DL and the weight isn’t centered in your hand. As long as you have room to move your hands fore and aft, these attachments could work.

I’ve thought about something similar, but the attachment would look like a subtle arc.

Awful ms paint to follow…[/quote]

I didn’t need to really do anything except grab the handles. During the movement, it didn’t feel like the bar was trying to torque my wrists. Like mentioned, it was a solid, straight pull.

[quote]axisT6 wrote:
I think there is something missed here. I am not trying to combine a traditional deadlift and a trap bar deadlift. I am trying to perform a traditional deadlift with a parallel grip.

I used this configuration this morning. I took a video of myself on a set where I was pulling 445lb. Form was good. If you were to draw a line from my shoulders to the bar, it would have been straight. My grip was solid all throughout the work out. The overall feel was great as I had the grip integrity of mixed grip along with the symmetry provided by the parallel grip. The bar rode against the front of my legs just like a traditional deadlift.

A quick measure showed me these handles along with the mini-platform provided a 1" deficit. Don’t think I noticed.

All said I think I will end up buying a trap bar and adding an attachment such that it tracks like a regular barbell while doing deadlifts. The reason for this is because with a trap bar, I will be gripping around the bar centerline as opposed to a couple inches above it.[/quote]

I only mentioned trap bar DL because it is the same grip. Interested to see the video.