T Nation

Built A Home Gym

Since I work out at 4:30 am, and do not want to have to wait for a bro to finish up arm day in the squat rack, I built my own iron lair.

I started with an 8x8 platform. Since my garage floor has a slant, I had to make shims to level the decking.

working out at home is the best, and you can buy/build pretty everything you would need for the cost of a gym membership

Made a jig and cut 22 leveling shims out of 2x4s.

I finished the platform off with a layer of 3/4" CDX Plywood, 2 layers of 3/4" OSB, and topped it off with 3/4" horse stall mat.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
working out at home is the best, and you can buy/build pretty everything you would need for the cost of a gym membership[/quote]

That is exactly my justification. It helps that i have access to cheap steel and that I have the fabrication tools to make useful items out of it.

Here is one of two stands I made for weight storage. For the 45 lb. plates, I opted to set them into a piece of 4" angle iron as opposed to a peg. MUCH easier to load and unload them. The angle has rubber trim pieces and the inside plate leans up against a piece of adhesive backed rubber.

The crowning achievement. A squat stand with a one man monolift.

Bryan Mize uploaded this image to

The uprights are 2x3-1/4" wall tube with holes drilled for a 5/8" pin on 2" centers.

The upper crossmember is made of the same material as the uprights.

The base is made from 2x4 x 1/4" wall tube. The lower rear crossmember is 2x4-3/16" wall.

The monolift hook carriers are made from 3x4 x 1/4" tube and 3x3-1/4" steel tube, and 1/4" thick 135 degree gussets. I used hard plastic leaf spring inserts to for a wear piece between the carriers and the uprights. They are installed into 9/16" holes that I drilled. The two pin holes on the carriers are drilled on 3" centers which gives me the ability to adjust the height in 1" increments.

The monolift hooks are cut from 1" plate and sleeved with 1.5"dia.-1/4" wall tube to allow me to use a 1" x 3/4" bronze flanged sleeve bushing. The hooks are mounted to the carriers with 3/4" shoulder bolts. The hook belly is lined with UHMW channel to prevent bar damage.

The whole stand is assembled with 5/8" bolts.

The bar shown is a Troy AOB-1200B bushing bar with snapring retained collars.

The bench is something made for a fellow powerlifter I used to work with.

Sandbags!

All this so I can lift heavy things, keep testosterone up, and fend off the dreadful dad bod.

This is cool. Are you able to work the monolift with weight on your back? If so, how?

[quote]axisT6 wrote:
For the 45 lb. plates, I opted to set them into a piece of 4" angle iron as opposed to a peg. MUCH easier to load and unload them.

That’s a great fucking idea. Nice work.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
This is cool. Are you able to work the monolift with weight on your back? If so, how?[/quote]

No. I simply step forward and rack. The whole point of building this is so I would have to back out. I just get under the bar, set my feet, stand up, squat, step forward, rack.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

That’s a great fucking idea. Nice work.[/quote]

Thanks. Stay tuned. For deadlifts, I made the first parallel grip deadlift bar. Before you say “trap bar”, bear in mind that my bar still follows the same path as a traditional deadlift.

Wow! Great job on everything. It’s to the point you just want to admire it for a while before diving in.

Damn good job. That is high quality work right there.

[quote]axisT6 wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

That’s a great fucking idea. Nice work.[/quote]

Thanks. Stay tuned. For deadlifts, I made the first parallel grip deadlift bar. Before you say “trap bar”, bear in mind that my bar still follows the same path as a traditional deadlift. [/quote]

Do tell.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Awesome. Awesome to the max!

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
Awesome. Awesome to the max![/quote]

awesome to the old school extreme!

Really nice work!