T Nation

Building Up to a Heavy Single on DE Day?

I understand how to do it…but not why. Is it for the sake of form practice, or does it actually benefit your speed work to do so?

I’ve been wondering that myself.

I don’t think it benefits the speed work, but it certainly does test the effectiveness of it.

May be just an opportunity to further stimulate the muscles and CNS with some heavy weight again.

Well, personally I was curious on how it affected recovery from the ME work. I realize it’s only at about the 85% mark, but I’m still wondering.

Off topic: Skidmark, what movie is your avatar from?

It’s a photo of two U.S. Olympic gold medal weightlifters: Isaac Berger and Norbert Schemansky. They were buddies and that’s them just fooling around.

Building up is to warm-up the muscle and excite the nervous system. Then once you are warm, there will be MORE MUSCLE RECRUITMENT to assist in the heavy lifts.

JK

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I understand how to do it…but not why. Is it for the sake of form practice, or does it actually benefit your speed work to do so?[/quote]

The theory or idea behind it is that your muscles are firing at a faster rate throughout the movement, so moving up to a couple heavy singles every third week or so will allow to strain under then heavy weight while operating at a “faster” level, if that makes sense.

Doing so every week would be counter productive to your ME work though, however, when working up with your ME work, you should still be trying to exert as much force as possible.

Pat

Thanks a lot for the answers folks.

I’ve heard the idea is to
(1) Work on form with heavy weights
(2) Get you to strain when you’re tired. Prove to yourself you can make a lift when everything isn’t falling into place and you don’t feel 100%.