T Nation

Building Up Rear Delts?

what are some good exercises to strengthen rear delts other than variations of a lateral raise and upright row?

i’m new to lifting, working with a trainer, and while i’m fit (5’6" f, 138 lbs), it’s as if i’ve never used these muscles before in my life–which only motivates me to work them harder!

anyone care to suggest some good exercises for me?

Besides rear or bent over rear lateral raises I would recommend deadlifts. The rear delts will come into play quite a bit on these. Deadlifts help overall back development.

D

Seated row to the neck.

Good recommendations so far.

Also, just good 'ol bent-over barbell rows. My rear delts have had almost an exact linear growth with the weight I’ve been able to lift on rows.

I agree with seated rows to the neck. I use a rope to get extra ROM.

High Pulls.

Straight arm rear cable crossovers.

I’ve also found one good use for the smith machine. Partially bent-over rows to the neck. Take a wide grip, bend at about 45 degree angle, Pull the bar up to your neck allowing the elbows to flair out to the sides. You’ll feel it in the rear delts, traps, and rhomboids.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:

High Pulls.

I’ve also found one good use for the smith machine. Partially bent-over rows to the neck. Take a wide grip, bend at about 45 degree angle, Pull the bar up to your neck allowing the elbows to flair out to the sides. You’ll feel it in the rear delts, traps, and rhomboids.

my shoulder joints are yelling at me after just reading that.
[/quote]

lay stomach down on an incline bench. while holding dumbbells let your arms hang down to the sides. perform rear laterals this way, its just a slightly different angle from standard ones.

Deadlifts, bent-over rows, t-bar rows

Standing bent over lateral raises with palms pronated or with neutral grip

Seated bent over lateral raises with palms pronated or with neutral grip

Prone (from incline or flat bench if high enough) rear lateral raises with palms pronated or with neutral grip

Reverse pec deck with pronated or neutral grip

Standing scarecrows (reverse crossovers) from any level (high, mid or low)

And one I just experimented with:

Neutral grip rear delt raises while performing an iso-hold at the top of a back extension. These burn the hell out of your lower back, glutes, hammies just holding the isometric position, and allows a good range of motion to hammer the rear delts.

Try it!

[quote]Kruiser wrote:

High Pulls.

[/quote]

I agree with all of these. Almost forgot about the partially bent-over rows, they just smoke the rear delts.