T Nation

Building Traps Like Ronnie

no my traps are nothing like ronnie’s, but i want to know can traps be worked twice a week, like with delts and for 10 mins after back or are they too fragile to handle too much stress?

The people I know with the biggest and best traps don’t do any direct trap training. Like, shrugs for example are a waste of energy.

Snatch grip high pulls, power cleans, almost any oly lift or variation… Additionally heavy barbell work like rows. That’s where they will see massive growth

Edit:

To answer your question I train my posterior chain at least 3x a week in one way or another. So my traps are hit 3x a week, and my traps are the shit

^sounds like Jbott doesn’t know many high level bodybuilders.

I used to lift at a Metroflex gym in Dallas. We had quite a few professional bodybuilders at the gym, and every single one, without exception, did shrugs. Very very heavy shrugs. Most did not do any sort of oly lift variation.

This is not to say that those lifts are not useful. They certainly are. I love power cleans for trap development. But you have to find what works for you, and shrugs can absolutely be useful. Calling shrugs ‘a waste of energy’ is asinine.

Jbott is correct that you can hit traps multiple times a week. Traps are anything but fragile. They’re some of the strongest, most durable muscles in the body. I’ve never heard of anyone suffering a trap injury.

[quote]jbott1988 wrote:
So my traps are hit 3x a week, and my traps are the shit[/quote]
Picture?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
This is not to say that those lifts are not useful. They certainly are. I love power cleans for trap development. But you have to find what works for you, and shrugs can absolutely be useful. Calling shrugs ‘a waste of energy’ is asinine.[/quote]
Shrugs are definitely not a waste of energy, but I think they are generally at risk of getting more attention than they deserve from many guys.

For example, the OP said in another thread that he’s pretty overweight (20+bodyfat), just getting back into training a few months ago, and still recovering from a stroke a few years ago. Training his traps twice a week and “building traps like Ronnie” should be pretty low on his priority list.

That said, totally agree that the traps (and whole upper back in general) seem able to handle a bunch of work. Doing something for them, directly or indirectly, on shoulder and back day is fine.

yea i didn’t look at his post history until just now. Probably should have done that first. I assumed that his avatar picture wasn’t him since he was posting in the beginner forum. The reason I responded the way I did was because it irritates me when someone tells a beginner ‘___ is the only way to do ___’. That’s almost never the case.

It sounds like Jbott comes from a training background that centers around sports performance/ explosive lifting, and he has a strong bias in that direction. I have a similar bias. I don’t do shrugs. But I’ve seen enormous traps on guys that don’t do anything resembling the oly lifts.

I’m also skeptical when a guy with no pictures wants to talk about how awesome his physique is.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
The reason I responded the way I did was because it irritates me when someone tells a beginner ‘___ is the only way to do ___’. That’s almost never the case.[/quote]
Yep. Lots of variables are always going to be a factor. There really aren’t many irrefutable “must’s” in the training world, and only a handful of “never’s” because we know that a lot of different stuff works and there’s always some example ready to be paraded around as to why “this” is better than “that”, no matter what ‘this’ and ‘that’ are.

For sure. If only there was, like, one recurring thread where members were able to post current pics so everyone could put a face/physique to the advice being given.

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:
The people I know with the biggest and best traps don’t do any direct trap training. Like, shrugs for example are a waste of energy.
[/quote]

WTF?

All I do is shrugs.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Jbott1988 wrote:
[/quote]

WTF?

All I do is shrugs.[/quote]

That’s why you’re so small.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

If only there was, like, one recurring thread where members were able to post current pics so everyone could put a face/physique to the advice being given.[/quote]

great idea! you should start one, and theBird can take credit for it.

guys, guys; please stop confusing… i read the article chris put up a link for; so i need to change my trap workout from(bb shrugs behind back, db shrugs and upright rows) to ( face pull with pause, snatch grip high pull and power cleans from hang)?

also begin back day with face pulls and on deadlift days use a wider than normal grip. sound better?

also i watched a couple of videos of “kroc rows” on youtube, could not find a distinction between them and db rows for back…

[quote]fatboi wrote:
guys, guys; please stop confusing… i read the article chris put up a link for; so i need to change my trap workout from(bb shrugs behind back, db shrugs and upright rows) to ( face pull with pause, snatch grip high pull and power cleans from hang)?

also begin back day with face pulls and on deadlift days use a wider than normal grip. sound better?

also i watched a couple of videos of “kroc rows” on youtube, could not find a distinction between them and db rows for back…[/quote]

Kroc rows are just a style of how to do heavy DB rows popularized by Matt Kroczaleski. When you’re strong enough to use the heaviest DBs in the gym on DB rows for your regular sets and want to progress further, you can try Kroc rows. They’re just high rep (15+) DB rows with the heaviest DBs possible. You’re allowed to be a LITTLE more lax on how strict you do the motion.

TBH if I were you, I would forget I ever heard the term “Kroc rows” for a few years, since beginners seem to love grabbing the heaviest DBs they can possibly hold and using utterly abysmal form. Not an effective way to train. Their excuse? “I’m doing Kroc rows.”

If strict DB rows are working well enough for you and you still have higher weights to advance to, do them.

no, i dont want to sacrifice form for weight… woildn’t it be simpler and easier if you told me 4 or 5 best of the line trap exercises…

[quote]fatboi wrote:
no, i dont want to sacrifice form for weight… woildn’t it be simpler and easier if you told me 4 or 5 best of the line trap exercises… [/quote]

Wouldn’t it be easier if you tried some out and figured out what works for you?

I could say what worked for my traps, that may be different to what worked for prof X, which may be different to what worked for flip collar, if you want to be spoon fed good for you, but it won’t help you hit your goals.

Anyway, what I like are:

Heavy shrugs with slight body English
High rep strict DB shrugs
Farmers walks
O-lift variations.

Upright rows ruin my shoulder and face pulls are all I my rear delts when I do them, personally speaking.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:

[quote]fatboi wrote:
no, i dont want to sacrifice form for weight… woildn’t it be simpler and easier if you told me 4 or 5 best of the line trap exercises… [/quote]

Wouldn’t it be easier if you tried some out and figured out what works for you?

I could say what worked for my traps, that may be different to what worked for prof X, which may be different to what worked for flip collar, if you want to be spoon fed good for you, but it won’t help you hit your goals.

Anyway, what I like are:

Heavy shrugs with slight body English
High rep strict DB shrugs
Farmers walks
O-lift variations.

Upright rows ruin my shoulder and face pulls are all I my rear delts when I do them, personally speaking. [/quote]

Upright rows are terrible. CT actually talks about them and shoulder impingement.

I second your recommendations. I do think high pulls should be at the top of the list, from my own experience.

High pulls with snatch grip
Farmers Walks
Heavy DB shrugs, hard contraction at the peak

I have never really gotten into BB shrugs. Who here contributes most of their trap growth to heavy BB shrugs?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
If only there was, like, one recurring thread where members were able to post current pics so everyone could put a face/physique to the advice being given.[/quote]
great idea! you should start one, and theBird can take credit for it.[/quote]
Funny because it’s true. And creepy.

[quote]fatboi wrote:
also i watched a couple of videos of “kroc rows” on youtube, could not find a distinction between them and db rows for back…[/quote]
This tells me that either your dumbbell row form is lousy or you don’t really “get” what a Kroc row is. As was said, you don’t need to be concerned with Kroc rows for now.

It would actually be easier, and make more sense, if we knew exactly how you were lifting right now. The days, exercises, sets, and reps.

Like I said, I think you’re overemphasizing this trap work for some reason. If the rest of your training could use improvement, it doesn’t make sense for us to say, “just do shrugs and face pulls and high pulls.”

here you go: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most.../building_a_bigger_yoke

Here’s a crazy idea… take a peak inside a D-1 weight room when the football players are training. They have big traps. They emphasize the power clean. Hmmmm.

I’m not discounting shrugs but I would say that my traps exploded in size when i started olympic lifting with no shrugging whereas I shrugged with no oly lifting before. As well as the power clean I find that the snatch is awesome, mainly for the strain from the overhead position. For a beginner the now popular snatch-grip-high-pull is fantastic.

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
I’m not discounting shrugs but I would say that my traps exploded in size [/quote]

This may be just me…but I personally am dying to see traps that have “exploded in size”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]oly-ali wrote:
I’m not discounting shrugs but I would say that my traps exploded in size [/quote]

This may be just me…but I personally am dying to see traps that have “exploded in size”.[/quote]

What do you do for trap work?

Slightly off topic…

I always used to hear “Dont get your traps too big because it will make you look narrower and ruin the illusion of wide shoulders…”

Can someone show me ONE picture of someone who has traps so huge they actually look smaller because of them? Preferrably a before/after of someone who made their traps huge and “ruined the illusion” of wide shoulders.