T Nation

Building Training Area On A Budget

I’m trying to build up the high school weight training/conditioning area. My primary concern is with my soccer players but will be running a strength and conditioning class as an option after taking my PE class.

What I have so far-
3 adjustable benches, ~300lbs worth of weight, and 3 agility ladders. This was all donated to me.

I have another $800 to spend. Somone suggested building sandbags since they’re cheap. I will be doing this. I figure 10 sandbags=$100.

I may receive a bigger budget come grant time in May. However, suggestions are welcomed on how to spend the rest of the $700.

I would highly recomend having some way to squat. A few dumbells wouldent hurt, either.

I know others can chime in with the best type of equipment to get, but my suggestion is to start scouring craigslist.com for stuff (assuming there is a section for your area).

I have gotten some amazing deals for my home gym from craigslist and ebay.

Also, you may want to check out Dan John’s site or question him in the Author’s Locker Room since I know he teaches weight lifting to high school students.

Good luck!

[quote]celibrate2047 wrote:
I’m trying to build up the high school weight training/conditioning area. My primary concern is with my soccer players but will be running a strength and conditioning class as an option after taking my PE class.

What I have so far-
3 adjustable benches, ~300lbs worth of weight, and 3 agility ladders. This was all donated to me.

I have another $800 to spend. Somone suggested building sandbags since they’re cheap. I will be doing this. I figure 10 sandbags=$100.

I may receive a bigger budget come grant time in May. However, suggestions are welcomed on how to spend the rest of the $700.[/quote]

LS536 Power Rack. Its the most versatile piece of equipment you can get and its just under $700.

Any idea you have an expected class size, or could you put a cap on it, like 10-15 students max? That would make it a little easier to plan out the necessary resources.

Two ways to approach it: Either try to end up with three or four separate stations like: free weight, medicine ball, bodyweight, resistance band. That should give the kids enough stuff to work with and keep them busy.

Or set up stand-alone workspaces to get everything done in one spot. I’ve seen pics of some colleges that do this, but I can’t remember where they are. So, all in one space, you’d have a barbell, several plates, bench and rack, a pair of db handles, and a medicine ball or two. So the athlete training there has everything they need within arm’s reach.

Buying online might be a pain because of the limited budget and shipping fees. Your best bet might actually be to get to a local retailer and see if they can work something out with you. Play up the whole “It’s for the children, man!” angle.

Also, think of what you need versus what you want. You need something to do pull-ups from, you need barbells and plates to put on them. You might want a glute-ham raise and sleds, but substitutions can be found or built for those, that are just as effective.

And don’t forget basic strongman stuff that’s easy to teach, improves athleticism, and is downright fun. Farmer’s walks, keg lifts (yeah, I’d love to hear you explain to the principal why there are three empty kegs in the weight room. “No sir, I ::hiccup:: I found them that way.”) and some thick rope for tug-o-war a’la Joe DeFranco’s Strongman for Athletes:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=496300
Hell, get these highschoolers flipping cabers while you’re at it, man.

This is one Dan John article where he talked a little bit about working with his high schoolers. Like Jilly mentioned, if you speak with him, I’m sure he’d give you some solid ideas.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=834265

[quote]texass wrote:
LS536 Power Rack. Its the most versatile piece of equipment you can get and its just under $700.[/quote]
This would be a great suggestion if it was for a home gym. Unfortunately, it’s a bad idea since he’s setting it up for a class. One power rack won’t go very far with 10-20 students.