T Nation

Building Strength Without Weights

Does nayone have any ideas on how to develop strength with bidyweight training. Im thinking static training any other ideas.

rings.

[quote]drewh wrote:
Does nayone have any ideas on how to develop strength with bidyweight training. Im thinking static training any other ideas.[/quote]

real grueling long negatives in things like pullups/chinups and exercises. Just do what gymnasts do. like the guy said rings lol.

one-arm pushups, one-arm pullups, pistol squats…

any routine ideas for rings what about legs

Can I ask why you can’t or don’t want to use weights?

Rings plyo platforms and single leg squats

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Can I ask why you can’t or don’t want to use weights?[/quote]

Good question? If its a lack of equiptment/money, you can do sandbag training. A 50lb bag of sand costs like $3 and a douffle bag from an army surpluse store will cost about $10-$20.

On the other hand, if your couch or someone on the internet said you will end up to bulky from weights, their full of shit! Do some o-lifts, plyoes, and strenuous body weight excercises like one arm pull-ups and your do alright.

btw: Ross Enemaits “Never Gymless” = good bodyweight book. Esspecially for the combat athlete.

Before I go, just wanted everyone to know, Im not against bodyweight training. In fact I think you should implament as much gear as you can (free weights, body weight, chains, sandbags, ect.) Its more fun that way!

Oh, before I forget, don’t get me wrong Im not against bodyweight training. In fact, I think its more fun if you use a variety of tools (bodyweight, free weights, odd object, ect.).

[quote]drewh wrote:
any routine ideas for rings what about legs[/quote]

Glute-ham raises, pistols.

No I lift I just won;t have access to weights this summer.

Ah ok. Man that’s a bummer. Bodyweight exercises = me being SCRAWNY. Hope you fare better.

This is gonna sound kind of lame but I saw a youtube video of the 24 hour ghetto workout some of those guys were jacked.

everything on www.beastskills.com enjoy

Pavel has a great book on BW exercises, it’s called “The Naked Warrior”. Also, dragondoor.com, beastskills.com and gymnasticbodies.com are great sources of information.

Free weight = stones, rocks, blocks, logs, scrap metal, sandbags, rucksack stuffed with bricks, buckets of water, buckets of sand or gravel, scaffolding tubes…

be creative and you can use weight, you might not know the exact weight, but who cares?

lunges

trainforstrength.com Scrapper workout #1 and #2 great routines.

Also I like isometrics.